Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi as someone who is young and has basically had no real job, I know there are some threads dealing with this already, but I wanted to get some real stories and experiences of INFP's in the workplace, maybe something white collar like an office or something more informal. My questions are, what do you hate, what did you like? Did you feel stressed or pulled out of your natural element or was it just the right thing for you? Were you quiet in your workplace? Well liked and sociable? Did you become a leader or just hang in the background?

I am mostly asking this out of curiosity. But part of me feels like I may not have a fun time 9-5 in one of those "normal" jobs. Unless it's designed in a very specific way that doesn't make me feel exhausted every single day. Would I be a leader in those places, or just bludge through dully? I really don't know at all. I can only guess based on how I acted at school.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Define "informal".
The only ex-job I would consider informal was being a private English tutor for children. I was my own boss, didn't have parents hanging around to make me feel self-conscious, and I would spend hours upon hours a day researching children education, children psychology, games, buying toys and props, making up games to play in my mind, printing images, creating worksheets, drawing, etc. And after all that behind-the-scenes work, the work with the children involved playing games, being silly and comforting them when they cried, which was surprisingly easy for me -I hate children, so I didn't know that I'm good with them naturally.

By contrast, being a private English tutor for adults, despite also working for myself, it was super serious and tedious. Adults like formulas, and to memorize rules. Meh.
All my other jobs were "formal". I also ran my own business with 2 business partners, and that was amazing freedom, but also incredible hard work, working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. I didn't have a personal life, and wasn't making the money I wanted. So it's like you sacrifice something for something else. I don't know.

1 what do you hate, 2 what did you like?

* Low pay. I work for the money always, it’s never for any humanitarian cause of any kind, it’s never a vocation thing, I hate competition, I hate socializing for 10 hours a day 6 days a week. I hate everything about working. Except the money. The more money I make, the more motivated I feel and my performance is great.
* Lack of harmony with coworkers and/or bosses. Gossip. Drama. Groups. Strange social rules.
* Being expected to socialize outside work.
* Not being given a specific task or goal. I hate floating around, not knowing exactly why I’m there.
* Too many hours. Working +45 hours a week. Digging my grave. Particularly as an introvert who needs tons of alone time at home to stay sane.
* Putting events together by myself. Like when I had to organize lectures and workshops, contact the speakers and organize the food, the speakers’ personal needs, etc. I hated organizing stuff for the speakers at individual level, but I loved organizing for the audience. Dunno why.
* Being on call perpetually. I need the structure of “now work begins” “now work ends”, and leave it all behind when it ends. I hate being on edge, at home, or on vacation, constantly wondering if my phone is going to ring and I’m gonna have to go. This robs you of living your life and being present.

* High pays.
* Bosses who are clear and give me targets. Then I feel free to organize my bow, arrow, posture and focus.
* Sweet, responsible, good attituded coworkers.
* Bosses who compliment and pat on the head.
* 40 hours a week, not more.
* Having to wear a uniform. Not having to think what to wear.
* Now work begins. Now work ends. Enjoying my free time in real time, present moment.
* Space. Don’t micromanage me.
* The availability of a supervisor that I can call or wassap with a question. I like the safety of a backup person that I can consult. I don’t like making final decisions just by myself.

Did you feel stressed or pulled out of your natural element or was it just the right thing for you?
I’m always essentially unhappy at any work, doesn’t matter what it is. I can only feel happy/satisfied when I’m a)Home alone introverting, or b)With my family being cozy and laughing, or c)Working calmly on my art. Working a job of any kind is none of those things, so I always feel “pulled out of my natural element” and I’m always in anxiety mode at all hours of the day. I have come to accept this in a twisted self-brainwashy way, and what I do to keep myself sane is to get really close with my family, hold on to their company and warmth and emotional support, do my hobbies on my free days like the weekends, have something that is only for myself, my own child, my own project, for my own soul alone and nobody else.

Were you quiet in your workplace?
Yes very much.

Well liked and sociable?
Sociable never ever.
Well liked, sometimes yes, sometimes no. I have found that the people who always love me are my bosses and the clients. The people who hate me are the coworkers.

Did you become a leader or just hang in the background?
In some jobs I had to be “leader” by obligation, not cause I wanted, but I only had 1-2 people that I had to lead, and I considered those people to be quite clueless about what needed to get done, I thought that their concept of how things needed to be done was plain wrong. Now, even though I was appointed leader by external forces, it doesn’t mean that my “below people” listened to me. One ISTJ in particular had her own opinions about how things needed to be done, and she did things her way because she considered me no authority just because a boss chose me as leader. I thought that her ideas were BS, and she thought that mine were BS, so we just did things however we wanted individually. I refuse to try to control people. If they want to complicate their own lives, they’ll have to respond to the boss when they fuck up, not to me.

But part of me feels like I may not have a fun time 9-5 in one of those "normal" jobs.
Yep, my nervous system is certainly not cut out for this, but ime the alternative is a low pay, and money is my priority in life. Enjoyment of the job comes second. So it just depends on a person’s priorities. And also priorities can change over time.

Unless it's designed in a very specific way that doesn't make me feel exhausted every single day.
Yep.
Well, I am exhausted every single day tbh. And I go through unbearable phases of meaninglessness where I'm just fucking miserable because I go into existential mode "why do I even exist?". And then I have phases where I feel better. It's a rollercoaster. I have come to sort of brainwash myself to accept the rollercoaster. Deep deep deep deep down I'm almost always screaming, tbh. But I manage it and negotiate with myself blablabla.

I encountered a couple of jobs that were very cool in terms of schedule & energy: One was a part-time job in education that paid me so much, omfg. I was making the same amount of money than a person working full-time in another sector. The education field in my country pays a ton per hour.
Another cool schedule I had was a full-time job where I worked 4 days, then 2 rest days, then work 4, then rest 2, and so on. Morover, in those 4 days, my shifts were: 2 mornings, 2 evenings.
So 2 mornings, 2 evenings, two rest. This meant that I never had a boring routine, it was the best schedule eeeeever.

Reactions: Teen Rose

·
Registered
290 Posts
I work in an office environment at my church, and I really like it so far (I started a couple months ago). I'm actually in an office with five other people, which I thought I'd hate at first. But I really like my team. We have great harmony and there's almost no conflict between us, plus everyone mostly focuses on their own tasks throughout the day. So I don't mind the office situation.

The things I don't like in office environments are any sort of conflict and tension. I can't stand it when people gossip about a coworker or boss, even if they're justified. I just don't like being part of that negativity, and hearing it kind of stresses me out. And then I feel like people will think I'm weird if I don't join in... This doesn't happen much at the job where I am now, but in my previous job (which was also an office job but at a university) it used to happen all the time and I hated it. I also don't like it when processes are overly bureaucratic. I like feeling like I'm free to make my own decisions if I have to, or can make something work better without having to notify everyone up the chain of command. Usually that's not the case at my job now, but it can be sometimes, and that's probably one of my least favorite parts about office environments.

I used to think I could never like having a regular office job, but I've learned that it's really the environment that makes the difference. My team now gets along very well, my tasks throughout the day are varied, and I love the organization I work for. So even though it's not always perfect or stress-free, I love it. It also helps that I don't work a perfect 9-to-5, but work 1-9 on two days in the week, which makes my week feel more balanced and gives me more days to sleep in. :)

Ultimately I think it comes down to your work values (you can take free assessments to rank them online). Harmony, flexibility and autonomy are some of the biggest ones for me, as well as feeling like I'm making some sort of a difference. So as long as those are checked off in some way, I'm usually pretty satisfied.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
In my current and long time career job, only rarely if there is someone I click with and we can share a moment to laugh about something we both find ironic. I don't enjoy giving webinars much. And designing and developing learning is not so enjoyable when you have inadequate tools for the job. It becomes tedious because I'm always taking the long way around to solve problems. I have little in common with most of the folks I work with. I like them, but I don't have close friendships with anyone at work. When I worked in a gear shop with other crazy climber/skier types at various times in my life, fun happened a lot more frequently, usually involving drugs and alcohol. ;-)

·
Premium Member
15,278 Posts
I suppose when I was working, about 37%... nah... make that 47% out of 100%, was considered fun.

I shared an office with a speech therapist and a case manager for 4 or 5 years, out of my 25 year career. Then a nurse supervisor would come in and join us and we'd..... oh yeah.... fun....4 females yappin' about all kinds of stuff.

Then the last 15 or so years of my career, I had a private office and a whole manner of people would stop by - - ->>>doctors, nurses, beautician, custodians and we'd shoot the s***. Most of that was crazy fun, except for the doctor who loved history and went on and on and on and on...about the book he was reading on Genghis Khan. Oh mommy... make him stop -->> it was so not interesting.

"My questions are, what do you hate, what did you like?
Had a lot of stress in my job, dealt with health/death issues. Took it's toll. I'm still recovering 5 years later. I was never meant to work. Sitting under a tree thinking all day long and watching the sky is............. what I'm meant to do.

Did you feel stressed or pulled out of your natural element or was it just the right thing for you?
My natural element is to play all day long and then take a nap. YES. I did not feel, in my natural element.

Were you quiet in your workplace?
Very quiet. Many referred to me as the enigma of the department. I never offered a lot of info about myself. When you don't become an open book at work, people start to fill in the pages themselves. One woman said I didn't know how to talk to people. Well! The nerve.....!!! :eek:h:

Well liked and sociable?
Haha... sociable. People came to me. I'd listen. I don't ever remember seeking out people in their offices.

Did you become a leader or just hang in the background?
I hid mostly. Didn't join groups or cliques. On my own, as usual. *big smiles*
"
Somehow the fun just happened at work. The right people drifted in and out of my office. I made friends with some great people, that I love to this day. We shared A LOT. Well, mostly they shared. But if one person, stays in a job for 25 years straight, some fun is bound to happen. There were about 500 people at the place I worked at. The probability was there.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I have two jobs right now. One where I sit at a computer and one where I interact with people. I don't like the first although it pays god, I love the second all though it pays crap. I like interacting with people much more than computers.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I have two jobs right now. One where I sit at a computer and one where I interact with people. I don't like the first although it pays god, I love the second all though it pays crap. I like interacting with people much more than computers.
It's so strange to think about(*), but me too ^_^

(*)due to my hardcore introversion.

·
Premium Member
INTP
11,901 Posts
I actually enjoyed working in a warehouse the most. There were times to interact and times to be alone, which was perfect for me on the social side of things. Other jobs have always depended on who I'm working with, if I get along with my work colleagues, I'm mostly fine. If not, it always drags, especially doing monotonous tasks. I prefer being busy at work or having the opportunity to keep myself busy (for instance, I'm currently working in care and doing a lot of sit-ins, but I'm able to use my phone because I mainly just need to be available, if needed). Retail work was only enjoyable if it was very busy most of the day. I hate the stopping and starting involved in slower paced retail.
I realised that it takes at least 6 weeks in a job to know whether I enjoy it or not. So I never decide to quit before I've been there 6 weeks.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Yea, I thought I was an introvert, I am but I mean, idk, people are way more interesting than a damn keyboard and screen.
No way - give me a keyboard and a screen any day!! Unless I can cherry pick the people, that is.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
@Adonnus

---

So yeah, like others have said, I admittedly like the money. It makes it worth it to me. And, of course it is not ALL about the money - I don't think that would ever be my TOP priority, but it certainly doesn't hurt and the acknowledgment of a job well done by pay makes it feel like the mundane and plugging away-going to my cage every day is worth it.

I work in an office, and while I have often struggled with whether or not to stay (am I being stretched enough, am I pushing myself hard enough, is there more I could be doing, etc.), it is not all that bad most of the time. I have a ton of autonomy, which I greatly value, and I have earned the respect of most of my colleagues, which is amazing.

What I really like is that I have my own office (space with a door I can close), and I really don't HAVE TO interact with people very often. I basically set my own work day schedule, and the interaction I do have is usually minimal and by choice - only when meetings and recruitment and heavy people-interaction crap starts up do I get a little crabby (and freak out - aka, this is NOT what I signed up for). I like a little variety though. I can stop by and say "Hi" to my coworkers if I want, but it's not required. Like you so aptly said, my job is "designed in a very specific way that doesn't make me feel exhausted every single day." It is kind of magical in that way. I like a little structure, but not too much, and I like feeling helpful, but not demanded of - there is a nice balance that exists for me.

Some days it does feel meaningless, and I hate it, but other days I'm super motivated and the day whizzes by, leaving me feeling fulfilled. I can't tell you what causes that feeling of fulfillment in me, but I guess knowing that I really helped someone is key - usually, I need a super busy-productive day to feel this kind of satisfaction.

I think I am a leader, but I would never call myself a manager - although, I do manage people loosely. Lol. Mostly, I think I just influence others with my patience, calm demeanor and work ethic. No one is below me, and I am happy to help anyone who asks (or doesn't ask).

I hold most of my real self back - as much as possible, really - and keep my personal life personal. The most difficult part of my job is dealing with difficult people and drama. The work itself I could probably do with my eyes closed. Dealing with different personalities is my strength, but it is the most draining aspect of what I do. And, really, I think that's what they pay me for when it comes down to it. That's how I justify how much I get paid for what I do.

---

Basically, I would agree with everything @entheos said. Her likes and dislikes - those are all of my preferences too.

I’m always essentially unhappy at any work, doesn’t matter what it is.
Lol. And, this made me laugh.

Reactions: Adonnus

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I’m always essentially unhappy at any work, doesn’t matter what it is.
Lol. And, this made me laugh.

XD XD

That phrase of mine reminds me of something right now. I enjoy very much my online shop, I think it's the most "fun" "job" I've had. I use those words with "" because they're not real words, I just don't know what else to call it. I've had it for years because it's just fun. Even if I have full-time jobs and stuff, I keep it up because... fun! I don't know what it is about the process of going on treasure hunts for things to offer to people, I just went treasure hunting (aka vintage shopping) this weekend looking for new material, and I'm always excited looking and planning and making mental value judgments of objects "is this valuable to someone?" I like judging objects apparently xD who knew.
I don't want to deal with the burocracy stuff though, which is why I avoid doing this full time. If I had to get involved with the burocracy side I would lose my creativity (which is my forté, it's what keeps things running, things selling) and I would end up quitting. I know this from experience, as I already had my own business in the past -the amount of hours a week spent doing burocracy was way more than the amount of hours working the job, even if I had an accountant who did all the math and shit. You still have to deal with that stuff. Not worth it so far. I'd rather have a normal job and not lose my creativity and joy for life.

But who knows, maybe in the future.... who knows...

Oh man I love Bryant Chambers so much. He's so amazing. However, I never related to this video he made. I'm one of those he said "if the shoe don't fit, don't put on the shoe" or something like that he said lol
Now, he hit the nail when he said we don't like being bossed around. That's a huge reason why I enjoy my shop, it's creative thinking! I do what I want and nobody can stop me hohoho

Reactions: twirler

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
@Lord Pixel - RE: VIDEO

Couldn't keep my attention. I tried, but I kept skipping ahead and then zzzzzzzzz. Thank you though. More videos!! MORE. I want to make a video with ISTP - I keep trying, but he grabs my phone and deletes our interesting conversations. Rude.

Reactions: entheos

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
@Lord Pixel - RE: VIDEO

Couldn't keep my attention. I tried, but I kept skipping ahead and then zzzzzzzzz. Thank you though. More videos!! MORE. I want to make a video with ISTP - I keep trying, but he grabs my phone and deletes our interesting conversations. Rude.
Well damn I tried lol.
Loooooool. Sounds sooo ISTP lol.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Well damn I tried lol.
Loooooool. Sounds sooo ISTP lol.
Yeah, there's like a million videos on my phone of him going "what?! twirler... are you videoing this? ILLEGAL MANEUVER!"

Then he swats the phone and there is a scuffle... then... silence.

He fears after I'm dead and gone they'll come after him due to the various knockouts.

Now, if only he'd cooperate...

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Yeah, there's like a million videos on my phone of him going "what?! twirler... are you videoing this? ILLEGAL MANEUVER!"

Then he swats the phone and there is a scuffle... then... silence.

He fears after I'm dead and gone they'll come after him due to the various knockouts.

Now, if only he'd cooperate...
Lol, What?! Various knock outs?! lol whooooa girl.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts