Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently i found a guy who is apparently INFP, but before he met his girlfriend the test always place him on INTJ. And yesterday i just realized that i used to have pretty strong TJ traits. My questions are:

1. Is there any INFP here with a developed TJ traits?
2. Any advice how to balance the TJ and FP sides?
3. Do you INFPs find yourselves able to switch from FP to TJ and vice versa? If yes, how do you control it?

·
Registered
751 Posts
I know this is an old post but I felt compelled to answer. In all cases with the INFP and TJ types we share a lot of traits and functions. In my experience INTJ can express a similarity with the INFP as two functions (the irrational function) are used by both (They both use Fi and Te though for us the Te is our least used function whilst for the INTJ Fi isn't their weakest function.) As for the STJ, all of the same functions are used, but like the INTJ the order is a complete reversal. It creates far different results but if you were to analyse a person from each type deep enough (on which ever level you chose) you would find a few similarities between them. For the case of the INFP and the INTJ, its the case of the same family but living in a different house (but with the INTP, its the principle of the same house but a different family.) In numerous cases, people who have moved homes with their family will bond to the new location because their family has helped bring the feeling of being at home with them. But I digress.

1) When you say balanced TJ traits, what would you determine by that? The only J traits (with the exception of Ne) we have are Si and Te but being balanced in that respect wouldn't create the desired results you seem to be looking for. I assume therefore you mean Fi and Te. This would be very hard to balance out in the form of strength as Fi drives the INFP whilst the Te has a habit of being inefficient. If you were seeking actual balance when Te is involved, it is best achieved between the Si and Te.

2) Like the previous answers, I don't think you can balance them. The FP functions of Fi (and in our case Ne too) are too strong. I think its more of an illusion, if the Fi is being suppressed, if not completely ignored. It's not fun trying to suppress your feeling side (I've tried it myself in the past) but if you can do so you could masquerade as an INTJ in theory to the world. However, the world will hopefully not be looking for the Ni to go with it. Whether convincing the world or convincing yourself it isn't advisable because one day the Fi will break through again and it won't be happy.

3) Not particularly, because I don't try to suppress my feelings anymore. They aren't always that obvious to the world (the Te can make INFPs appear to have spiky outer shells to others.) There is also the problem of a disadvantage with reality, I may perceive myself as a better organiser or thinker than I actually am. But on the contrary, the world may perceive me as a TJ when I try and I may perceive it myself if I'm more focused on such a task rather than what I'm feeling.

So in the end, I would say it ultimately comes down to perception, of yourself and how others would perceive you. The Te isn't useless or invisible, but the strong functions are just about to roll over and let it run the show.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just had a dinner conversation about something with my T-aligned brother, and I was obsessively T and analytical, even more than him. I think he was taken aback by how T I was. I really didn't like it myself. I wish I could supress my F less.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I have a strong T/J side of myself, but that may be influenced by my aspy traits.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
1. Is there any INFP here with a developed TJ traits?
I wouldn't call it developed, but I have a TJ business suit I put on from time to time. The thing is, it doesn't fit all that well....

2. Any advice how to balance the TJ and FP sides?
I'm not sure about this yet....I suppose it aids in taking charge, keeping high standards, and verbalizing your opinions, but it can go bad easily when you become a perfectionist, controlling, and overly critical.

3. Do you INFPs find yourselves able to switch from FP to TJ and vice versa? If yes, how do you control it?
Not on purpose....when I care about something, then it may come out. I worked with an ESTP who would say I could be "aggressive" when I wanted to be.

Reactions: Raichan
1 - 5 of 5 Posts