Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So school wasn't always my thing. I was always great at reading and math but found school boring. In high school I remember slacking off until it was clear that if I didn't get my shit together I was going to fail. So with great concentration (because I was so easily distracted) I would bust out the A's.

Then came college and my time organization was God awful. My first year was pathetic. My doctor prescribed me Adderall. When I first started taking this, it was amazing! I became more organized and my grades sky rocketed. I still take it to this day.

There are many downsides to this drug, but I will only focus on the personality changes. While I love how it makes me more productive my loved ones prefer the non-medicated me. I think it turns my P to a really annoying J. I'm also more aggressive and don't hold back opinions I should really keep to myself.

Any other INFPers take stimulants out there? Did you notice a personality change? There is really no good reason for me to be on it now except I take it anyway. Without it, I'm sooooooo lazy and my mind is foggy. I feel borderline retarded.

·
Registered
8,665 Posts
I take Adderall and the 20mg swallowed give a very nice E euphoria. My P becomes a J definitely but only within the scope of the task I'm trying to do, usually homework. If I smoke on Adderall, I get focused on every next distracting task... where the next event is more exciting and precedented than the last.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Lol...I saw this thread and thought "That doesn't sound like a good idea"....anyway, I agree with unclebigs. Try finding something else to help you concentrate.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have been prescribed some form of ADHD medication since kindergarten, and I'm now 20 in college. I definitely lean more J when on it, but that can be overcome. The aggressiveness can also be kept in check with a little extra awareness of it. I have such a harder time accomplishing tasks without it, that the side effects are worth it. Not to mention, after some time you can harness the aggressiveness as assertiveness, a scarce resource to some INFPs.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have been prescribed some form of ADHD medication since kindergarten, and I'm now 20 in college. I definitely lean more J when on it, but that can be overcome. The aggressiveness can also be kept in check with a little extra awareness of it. I have such a harder time accomplishing tasks without it, that the side effects are worth it. Not to mention, after some time you can harness the aggressiveness as assertiveness, a scarce resource to some INFPs.
ADHD is a phony "disease" that doesn't require medication. I'd venture to guess you look at least 5 years older than you. Adderal will age you and destroy your body.

·
Registered
356 Posts
ADHD is a phony "disease" that doesn't require medication. I'd venture to guess you look at least 5 years older than you. Adderal will age you and destroy your body.
ADHD, as they use the diagnosis today, is a phony disease. The same thing happened with the "gifted" movement. There are people with real ADHD and people who are really gifted, but the words have lost their meaning as they were doled out as meaningless labels for every suburban mother with a check book.

As for the stimulants, I've been prescribed them for most of my life and still look several years younger than I am. They can do minor damage in higher doses, but if your doctor keeps you on the basic dosage, you have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I used to take adderall, I should now but this semester isn't too hard and I don't like the side effects. As for my personality, it makes me more talkative than I would usually be.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Sometimes I think that I might have ADHD but I was never diagnosed. When I was young, some of the teachers suspected that I had ADHD because I would often space out in class, but my mom didn't want me to labels to define me so she never got me diagnosed... instead she got me enrolled in piano lessons to improve my concentrations and got teachers to sit me in front of row.

I did pretty good in school without medication, despite concentrations issues.

Though, if it wasn't for caffeine I don't know if I could have made it through university.

I still think about bringing it up to my doctor. I'm not even sure if I want adderall or anything like that. I'm just mostly curious at this point.

Reactions: SweetPickles

·
Registered
INFP, 4w5 sx/sp
1,193 Posts
I was diagnosed with ADHD but I don't take medication for precisely the reason you mentioned. They wanted to put me on stimulants for ADHD and SSRIs for anxiety, OCD, and depression, but I was scared of what they might do to me so I said no thanks. :/

I try to set incentives for myself in order to concentrate. As in, I have to finish all my homework by 8-8:30 PM every night because that's when my friends and I meet online for RPGs. It gives me something to look forward to throughout the day, and then I speed through my homework! :)

I'm a freshman in college, btw. My grades are okay. 4 As and 1 B-/C+. Stupid literary history lol.

I'm sorry you have to go through this, @MelanieM! :( ADHD really sucks lol, as much as people might make fun of it or say it's not a real disorder. Arguably it might be because our society is so schedule/deadline-oriented and boring, but at any rate it's a pain!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm pretty positive I would benefit from a medicine that helps me concentrate, but as it is right now I have no means of attaining medicines to stabilize me. I'm still under my parents insurance and they kind of have that "It's all about not being lazy" attitude along with "Medications are for pansies" attitude. I just feel like a burden when I try and tell them I have issues with concentrating and I can't focus. Also my moods are really all over the place, so I feel like that is just an added burden upon them.

I've had my pediatrician recommend them to me but I have no way of paying for it/hiding it from them. I've been on an anti-depressant before and it didn't work for a great amount of time and my mom just kind of shrugged it off and said I never had issues in the first place. It's so frustrating to tell your caregivers you think there is actually something wrong with you and they just chalk it up to being overly sensitive and a mental hypochondriac.

I'm afraid my college grades aren't what they could be even though I am really really trying to focus.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm pretty positive I would benefit from a medicine that helps me concentrate, but as it is right now I have no means of attaining medicines to stabilize me. I'm still under my parents insurance and they kind of have that "It's all about not being lazy" attitude along with "Medications are for pansies" attitude. I just feel like a burden when I try and tell them I have issues with concentrating and I can't focus. Also my moods are really all over the place, so I feel like that is just an added burden upon them.

I've had my pediatrician recommend them to me but I have no way of paying for it/hiding it from them. I've been on an anti-depressant before and it didn't work for a great amount of time and my mom just kind of shrugged it off and said I never had issues in the first place. It's so frustrating to tell your caregivers you think there is actually something wrong with you and they just chalk it up to being overly sensitive and a mental hypochondriac.

I'm afraid my college grades aren't what they could be even though I am really really trying to focus.
If taken responsibly Adderall can be a true life changer. It also helps with depression. I'm sorry your parents feel like that. My stepson has severe ADHD it took me, his teachers and a psychiatrist to convince my husband to give medicine a shot. He had the same viewpoint as your parents. My stepson is on Focalin and the improvements he has made in school are astounding. Maybe bring up Concerta it's for ADD but not a stimulant. Also, Wellbutrin (an antidepressant) has been shown to work well for ADD as well. It all depends on the person. There are lots of options.

I remember when I took it for the first time I was like "This must be how normal people think". I became more organized and had the ability to focus and finish a project!

There are downsides, you can crash and feel kind of blah. The XR meds are better if that's a struggle.

To the person who claimed it was legalized crystal meth, it's nothing like crystal meth lol (not that I've ever tried meth). While its true both are stimulants crystal meth is much more potent and dangerous. I've been taking adderall on and off for 15 years and I still get carded when buying alcohol lol. Haven't lost any teeth or gone insane like regular meth users.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Adderall is a powerful Amphetamine. It is Meth. I'm sure it makes users feel great and can improve mental and physical performance. But at what cost? It will destroy your health in the long run. Your adrenal glands will be flattened, you'll get sick more often and on and on.

It's funny how Meth users are defensive about their use of the drug for a non-disease like ADHD.

·
Registered
20 Posts
^ Yeah I think we got the point no need to be so aggressive.... It's not a disease it's a disorder :p However I was on a similar drug but I stopped due to it being a short-term antidepressant with the side effect of both headaches and depression (when it wore off) The problem with ADHD is that it is so often miss diagnosed.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Adderall is a powerful Amphetamine. It is Meth. I'm sure it makes users feel great and can improve mental and physical performance. But at what cost? It will destroy your health in the long run. Your adrenal glands will be flattened, you'll get sick more often and on and on.

It's funny how Meth users are defensive about their use of the drug for a non-disease like ADHD.
Dude, this forum is for constructive discussion. Calling everyone on ADHD medication for academics "meth users" is not constructive and downright offensive. Please contribute in a useful way, or take your attitude elsewhere.

·
Registered
175 Posts
ADHD is not a disorder or a disease. Some people have the ability to concentrate keenly on one task and others like to daydream and think about many random thoughts at once.

Our medical establishment fabricated a name for a personality trait so they can sell profitable drugs to a gullible public.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts