Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all :)
I've read a lot of times on here us young INFPs saying we can't wait to move out and set up shop somewhere else. I personally look forward to escaping my rural backwater too, I hate the fact that my location and it's lack of connection has slowed down my internet and prevented me for staying in my friend's groups because I can never get anywhere. I also look forward to having more control over my life. So what if I spend more time alone? I do like socializing sometimes and whatever I do I will be happy eventually.

So any other INFPs out there looking forward to upping sticks and living somewhere else?
Or did you have similar thoughts and find the reality to be far bleaker?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can't tell you how much I want to get out of here. I don't necessarily dislike anyone here, I've just always had this strong urge to get out. I'm working on applying to some out of state colleges in Oregon or Washington. I would love to live out there at school for a few years. I figure this way I'll get a taste of what its like to be on my own, so maybe I'll be prepared when I get back. I plan to try to enjoy it whether or not it's terrible.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't like living by myself. I mean, I love the alone time I get, but... I just feel too lonely.

I've been living basically by myself for a year, with my dad constantly going to work in another state. I guess I feel a bit neglected. I wish I had a girlfriend, but I honestly very much dislike most people down here.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I've been living on my own for the past 8 years, and it was absolutely what I needed. Yes, it can be difficult being by yourself, but I've learned that whether you are married or single, young or old, live with others or yourself, you are always going to have to trade some benefits in for others.

Why I love being alone:

1. I'm a cautious person, but I love to try new things, to explore, to test, and to be open to possibilities. I often felt that the people in my life (family most times) were so protective that they tried to shape my decisions based on what they wanted to see happen for me, and I, wanting to please, would often let this happen. But it was keeping me from exploring things for myself, it kept me too sheltered. I had to break out of that. Being out on my own allowed me to do that. I now had more freedom to make my own choices based on what I would like to try and less on what others wanted for me.

2. I've always been a big dreamer. Now that I was on my own, I had more time to try my hand at all kinds of things. I could boldly step out into the world at my own pace, trying scary things like Town Hall meetings or volunteering my time to worthy causes, and I could learn to handle mistakes and problems on my own. This added so much to my need for independence and self-reliance.

3. Coming home to my own place became my sanctuary. During the day I expend all kinds of energy on people and projects. At the end of the day, I can retreat to my own quiet home and recharge my batteries for the next day's adventure. THIS DOWNTIME IS AN ABSOLUTE NECESSITY FOR ME. Without it, I would not be able to accomplish many of the things I've been involved in in the world at large, and I want to be involved. At my home, I can finally turn off all the radar that whirs to life any time someone else is in my presense. I can just simply focus on me and anything my mind wants to give attention to.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I can't wait to live alone. My family is so noisy and I crave silence. I need my solitude and space. I never really feel lonely when I am alone. I feel caught in the middle at home because there are so many conflicts and I have no control over it. It drives me insane that it is never quiet in my house. I thrive in my alone time so I don't think it would be hard for me to live myself. I would be so much more productive and comfortable on my own.

“In solitude, where we are least alone.”
Lord Byron

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yes! I live in a rural area as well, and I'd like to move to a more urbanized environment. I love cities, they're so vibrant and exciting! Everything you'd ever want is within the city limits, and there are so many opportunities, so much diversity and everything is always changing. I love, love, love cities. Also I think living on my own would be very educative experience, and probably cause me to develop my Te.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I left my parent's home when I was 20, in 2005 and have been living since then from my own work.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I can't wait to get out of this room that I share with my sister. It's getting unbearable for so many reasons I don't even feel like counting. Just imagine a strongly introverted person listening to her extraverted sister's blabberings every day without having any alone time whatsoever. You can only imagine how happy I get when she goes out for a few hours (even if she does that quite rarely lately, for some odd reason).

·
Registered
929 Posts
For me, living all alone just isolated me more, which i didn't mind at first, but after a while it got too lonely.
And while living with roommates i can just close my door when i want to be alone and I'm alone, works better for me atleast.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Living on my own would probably be pretty awesome, though I'm sure there would be downsides that I'm overlooking. As long as I had friends nearby it would be great. I'd get the downtime and privacy I need, the only question is whether I'll ever be able to afford it lol

·
Registered
470 Posts
I didn't have a strong urge to leave home, but I was never opposed to it either. For my first year of university, I wouldn't consider this "living alone", particularly because I got placed in a double room with an extrovert. :p I had put a single room as my top preference, but without having a valid reason for one (i.e. a medical condition/deadly allergy), I wasn't a top priority for one. (I should have lied and said I had one! Haha!)

Next year, even though I'll have four other housemates, will be much more enjoyable for me. I'll have a room to myself, for one. And my housemates are all people I know and click with. Maybe it won't exactly be like "living alone", but much moreso than I am right now.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I live alone, but I honestly didn't have much problems at home, because I was let live in my own universe back then. Been lucky with my parents, and was mostly misunderstood as I was growing up, but pretty much supported and loved most of the way, which is a huge privilege. Of course, I still had misgivings about myself, because I used to be such a shy individual, who didn't fully appreciate who he was. The reason I wanted to live alone was not that I wanted to escape my family, but that I needed a whole new environment to thrive and be happy (whole new city, NYC), so I came here and feel great, although life can ocassionally be lonely (I don't meet my friends often, and I don't go to "social" places just to know new people, although I do go out a lot.)

I think it's good for each of us to live alone, not because life will be "better" without old relatives and friends, but because it will be a great new life experience, and it will help us develop ourselves along with our dreams-a new stage in life that needs to happen (at least, it did for me.)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I don't feel a great urge to move out. I do feel pressured to do so by others, though. There are many people in society who look down on you, even to the extent of thinking that you are an inferior or horrible person, if you haven't moved out of home by a certain age. My perspective is that I will do it when I am good and ready, not because society has pressured me into it.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
I don't want to live alone, ever. At 30 I see myself living with a boyfriend and a dog. I'll probably live in my same city as it's currently very quiet and peaceful out here. My family is also close by. I'm too afraid of supernatural creatures to live alone.

That being said, I would like to move out of my mom's house. That's just because I don't agree with her way of doing things.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
I don't feel a great urge to move out. I do feel pressured to do so by others, though. There are many people in society who look down on you, even to the extent of thinking that you are an inferior or horrible person, if you haven't moved out of home by a certain age. My perspective is that I will do it when I am good and ready, not because society has pressured me into it.
I agree. It's prevalent in Western culture, but less so in Asian families where generations often live in the same household together. My view is somewhere in between those two extremes and probably matches yours somewhat. I want to live alone, but under my own terms. I will only be able to do so once I have saved up enough money. Until then, I will continue to live with my family.

If I did what many others do and leave home young, I'd never be able to save any money since I'd be spending so much on living costs and would be under pressure to maintain employment in order to live. I would also imagine my home would be a significant downgrade to my current one for many years until I could afford a better one.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i got used to livin with my parents, as a teenager i always dreamed about movin out, but now we dont fight that much, and its nice when someones around, we dont talk much or spend all the time together, i live upstairs but the thought of jsut havin someone around is nice.
sometimes when my parents go out and im home alone it feels weird, the overwhelming silence, im glad i have my cat around. im happy when theyre back and go about theyre routines and i can hear some background noises on the ground floor. i feel too lonely im im completely alone. its not that i need them to talk to or hang out, i just want to know that someones there.
its crappy when they fight tho, i hate that and start thinkin what im still doin here, but then when its ok im fine again.
i do plan to move out b4 im 30 but ill miss them. and ill miss my kitteh the mostest :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts