Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow INFPs share your travelling stories/ adventures.

Q: Have any of you been travelling? Back-packed around foreign countries, discovering new cultures, sights... either alone or with friends.
Less; I went on holiday last year to a holiday resort and saw the tourist attractions. More; Independent and adventurous traveller.

Q: Any of you want to go travelling?

I'm going to an American summer camp over the summer. When it ends I get up to 30 days to travel America, which I intend on doing. Although my travel plans will probably be somewhat contingent on other campers and friends I might make, but I really wanna do a road-trip kind of travel around America, which I need to research. Hope renting a car isn't too expensive.

Obviously not right now as I have this to do first, but I'd like to do some kind of work/ volunteering experience in foreign countries. The 'big' agencies charge a lot to do these, like £/$800-1400+
Did a small amount of research so far and there are free/ low price volunteering things you can do, you just don't get the support, insurance, safety kind of thing, your doing it independently...
I'd really like to go to South America and work with kids, help build whatever. I'm especially interested in working with and helping animals. On one 'big' agency site they advertise working with white lions in S. Africa, I'd love to do something like that, working with animals that are endangered.

Big step for an INFP to go off by himself, to grow and become more independent, open-minded and aware...

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Fellow INFPs share your travelling stories/ adventures.[...]Big step for an INFP to go off by himself, to grow and become more independent, open-minded and aware...
I have traveled a lot as a tourist - Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, The States (east coast and Texas and Florida), Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore. Of course there are many more on my wish list as a tourist.

I've seen cultures more than I've experienced them, except for in The States and in Indonesia, where I have family and friends.

The divide between rich and poor (and the memory of seeing it) makes me rather speechless. I've seen slums from close by - the only thing separating me from the world of the poor being a car's door, literally. It makes me both appreciate what I have and despise how our world works.

But I do wish to go out like you at some point in my life, volunteering/working, getting to know the people. At a later point in life. ^^ You should keep a blog on it if you go! I'm interested in how things will work out for you.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
I have traveled a lot as a tourist - Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, The States (east coast and Texas and Florida), Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore. Of course there are many more on my wish list as a tourist.

I've seen cultures more than I've experienced them, except for in The States and in Indonesia, where I have family and friends.

The divide between rich and poor (and the memory of seeing it) makes me rather speechless. I've seen slums from close by - the only thing separating me from the world of the poor being a car's door, literally. It makes me both appreciate what I have and despise how our world works.

But I do wish to go out like you at some point in my life, volunteering/working, getting to know the people. At a later point in life. ^^ You should keep a blog on it if you go! I'm interested in how things will work out for you.
Wow, amazing. I hope in my future i can travel to all those places. I've been there a million times in my dreams, with my head in the clouds, although to actually witness and get true feeling from seeing would be the icing on the cake for me.:)

I related to what you described about rich/poor. I've been to tropical places that i've ventured outside of the resorts to see how it really is, as yes, it was enough to make my heart sore. We only see all the good things when traveling to fun spots, we don't see the poverty that lies within a few mile range from all the glamour. I needed to see outside of that in order to really appreciate the reality of it all.

Reactions: illicit iridescence

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
We only see all the good things when traveling to fun spots, we don't see the poverty that lies within a few mile range from all the glamour.
A few miles? One of my aunts in Jakarta used to live in a house big enough to be considered a villa of sorts, for Western standards. I once looked out of one of the windows, to see a wall 80 yards behind the house, behind it, a yellow river and a slum. The difference between rich and poor can literally be less than a football field long. Upsetting, really. ^^;

But yes, it is amazing to travel lots of places. People are people, but they can live so vastly differently. Astonishing.

Reactions: Redwood and refugee

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I traveled to Germany, Switzerland & Holland for a month with my family when I was 15 and was unfortunately too angsty to appreciate any of it. I did not like being somewhere that I could not understand what people were saying. I wanted to know what people were talking about, overhear conversations, read signage, etc. And you really can't do that if you don't know a word of their language. Plus, I was 15 and I missed my boyfriend back in the US. My family went out to explore castle ruins and I would stay behind and watch Germany's MTV and email my boyfriend. haha, I was such a stick in the mud back then.

BUT NOW I would totally go back to these places and explore them. As it is, my voluntary traveling has been done just in the US and Canada. I have been all over the states. In my lifetime, I hope to visit every state. I also want to visit every Canadian province. I would love to go to Newfoundland and the Yukon Territory. I love being out in the wilderness and feeling secluded from the masses. Canada is such a beautiful place for this kind of experience. Also, the area around the northern Great Lakes feels like paradise to me. For my honeymoon, my husband and I took two weeks and just drove around the circumference of Lake Superior. It was so beautiful. I love going to small towns, away from chain stores and familiar logos. That's my idea of a vacation. Screw Cancun and resorts. yuck. no thanks. Put me in the middle of nowhere and I will be happy as a clam.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I would love to travel-that said, I really don't have the means to do so at this time. I am also lucky in that I live in a city I love, which while not taking away anything from the thrill of learning something new from visiting another country, lets me experience a bit many different cultures without having to travel (nothing beats the real thing, but I must say I feel privileged to live in NYC.) Perhaps things will get better soon and I will/ be able to go to all of those places I've always wanted to visit.

I am clearly not a bagpacker. :/ If I travel, I don't feel I would be able to do so with little luggage anyway. So the adventurous INFP with a bagpack traveling at his/her heart's content is only a thing I would be able to enjoy perhaps with someone else, but not on my own.

I also wish to explore the big cities first (which almost everybody else has done by my age, but I haven't been there! :{D) If I had to choose ONE destination to visit it would be Paris... there's just so much there that calls my attention, especially from an artist's point of view-would love to visit those places where both Liszt and Chopin frequented, as well as visiting those niche perfume boutiques. And I love the literature (even though I still don't know French-shame on me.) Would also love to visit the big cities in Germany and Italy (while perhaps grabbing some unique clothing pieces back from the latter!)

If any of you ever come visit NYC and want to have some tea/coffee, let me know. :)

·
Registered
798 Posts
I've been to quite a few places, courtesy of my parents. There hasn't been a summer when I didn't leave the country.

Unfortunately, I was quite young when we traveled to most of the places I've been to. I didn't appreciate it as much as I would now, which is why I want to revisit some of the places I've been to; Italy, Greece, Australia, England, Singapore, and Egypt are at the top of that list. I'd also like to revisit Alaska and Hawaii, even though we went there rather recently.

List of places I remember visiting: Spain, Greece, Italy, Turkey, Australia, England, Egypt, China (we go every year because my relatives live there), Mexico, the Cayman Islands, Singapore, and Malaysia. We've passed over France and Japan one or more times, but I don't remember actually touring them. Within the US, we've been to Alaska, Hawaii, New York, Massachusetts, California, Illinois...yeah, I think that's it. The latter three contained colleges my sister wanted to visit, and I was dragged along. :laughing:

Frankly, I remember very little about these places. Too young and not as interested. Honestly, I'd like to travel by myself or with people with interests similar to mine. My family moves through the things I enjoy too quickly. :frustrating:

Oh, and I'm visiting my birth country this summer, too! Looking forward to that. :proud:

·
Registered
243 Posts
I am American. When I was a kid, my family never traveled more than about 150 miles from home. I'm impressed reading how others had more exciting vacations as kids. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed going to the beach every Summer, but I would've enjoyed seeing other sights, as well.

I'm not a good flyer and since I really don't have the means, leaving North America isn't really a possible reality as this time. I was told though, that you fly north then east when flying to Europe, so you're not over ocean for too long-a fear of mine.

Anyway, in 2000 I drove across the country. Including my starting state, I believe I went through 23 states! Funny, I've been to California twice, including driving-started out in Maryland-but I've never been to New York! Some shortened amusing things that happened to us. My friend brought a gun for safety. I'm not a fan of guns and wanted nothing to do with it. She'd load it at night and keep it on her side of the fence. One night we got in and set up camp rather late. The next morning I heard a rustling around just outside the tent and I was scared to death to wake her, fearing she might shoot me! :p Turned out it was just a Ranger putting a reminder to pay. Another time we were in Olympic National Park and there were warnings all over about a bear who was getting close to where visitors hiked. Later that day on a dirt road we thought we heard a car engine off in the distance. After a few minutes of just looking around it occurred to us that a car never came by and soon realized that faint sound might have been the bear!! We quickly returned to the car, singing loudly, as was suggested to shoo the bear away just in case. Annoyingly on that trip, we'd get to the parks on the weekend and the cities on the weekdays-too crowded in the parks and boring in the cities. We got to see pretty much all the major parks and monuments in those states on the trip. I hope to do it again sometime. Oh, and before we headed out, I told my friend that she would meet a guy from Oregon. The first night in a bar in Nashville and she's talking with a guy. He turned out to be from Oregon!

I think in total, I've been to maybe 28 states.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I'm not a good flyer and since I really don't have the means, leaving North America isn't really a possible reality as this time. I was told though, that you fly north then east when flying to Europe, so you're not over ocean for too long-a fear of mine.
That is true - whenever I go to The States from Europe, Schiphol Airport Amsterdam to be more exact, it takes me over the North Sea, a bit of the UK, then a bit Atlantic/Greenland, entering The States from the North-East. Usually Detroit/Washington as places to change plane. And vice versa.

It would be a shame to let your fear stop you from going beyond the Americas, but it's not like you can just get rid of that fear easily I imagine. I've visited more than 10 states I think, both east and west, surely I'm not done there but it's still a sort of the same. The same language, the same shops, the Western culture... I hope you find your ways about dealing with your fear of flying. :)

For the record, I once downloaded those BBC(?) series Aircrash Investigations, or it was called Mayday, I'm not sure, watched a whole season before stepping on a plane to The States. That sure hypes you up a lil... xD

·
Registered
243 Posts
That is true - whenever I go to The States from Europe, Schiphol Airport Amsterdam to be more exact, it takes me over the North Sea, a bit of the UK, then a bit Atlantic/Greenland, entering The States from the North-East. Usually Detroit/Washington as places to change plane. And vice versa.

It would be a shame to let your fear stop you from going beyond the Americas, but it's not like you can just get rid of that fear easily I imagine. I've visited more than 10 states I think, both east and west, surely I'm not done there but it's still a sort of the same. The same language, the same shops, the Western culture... I hope you find your ways about dealing with your fear of flying. :)

For the record, I once downloaded those BBC(?) series Aircrash Investigations, or it was called Mayday, I'm not sure, watched a whole season before stepping on a plane to The States. That sure hypes you up a lil... xD
You're right! I figured since money would be a factor to block it out of my mind. Now, if money weren't an issue, THEN I'd return to being scared. :p I think I could get by with the right medication, though.

I won't be looking up those investigations. ;)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Omg yes. Traveling is my (very expensive) hobby and obsession. My husband makes jokes about the "itchy feet" I get each year if I don't leave the country. To date I've been to 24, plus Puerto Rico (which isn't a country). I have lived more than a month in four of those, plus PR. I mostly travel as light as possible so I can be flexible about accommodations and destinations and go where the wind takes me. But I MUCH prefer smaller towns to the big cities. I go to Rome, Madrid, Tokyo, Athens, Paris, Mexico City etc. to see what's there, but the local flavor is in the more intimate atmosphere and relative quiet of the smaller towns. I also prefer to travel alone or with a tour group; traveling with a friend or two is exhausting. Traveling with a tour group is like traveling alone with the safety of numbers. You don't really HAVE to get buddy buddy with anyone in any sense but small chitchat and there's always something new to fill the conversational void since you're experiencing new things.

·
Banned
1,833 Posts
I love traveling. I've been to 19 countries and I hope to visit dozens more before I die. I've traveled alone and with friends and I've found that I prefer to go it alone because I can more easily immerse myself in the culture and meet the locals. When you're with a group it's like being in an Anglophone bubble and I think you miss out on a lot. Next stop for me is visiting my sister in Tanzania and I'm excited about that because I've never been to sub-Saharan Africa before. For people who are concerned about expense, I'd recommend using couchsurfing.com to find places to stay. I've never had a bad experience with it and I've used it in several European countries and a few places in the US.

@Diamondeyes renting a car in the US is exorbitant. I had a friend from London who came to stay with me and we rented a car for 3 days so we could travel a bit because I don't have one. The total cost was near $300 plus about $75 in petrol. When you look at sites for renting cars online, what they don't tell you is that on top of the car rental fee itself, you also have to pay for their insurance which comes out to $30-40 a day depending on the company and a handful of other fees. If you book well in advance you'd be lucky to snag something for $60-70 a day + petrol. You'd do better off sticking to larger metropolises that have public transport and taking trains, planes or even a bus to your next city.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Bromide--you bring up a good point about a disadvantage of group travel. But like so many things, I look at it as another tool in the traveler's arsenal, that can be good or bad depending on the use you make of it. It's safer for a woman traveling alone in some countries to have a group available; on the other hand, I personally spend as much time as possible striking out on my own and meeting people without the baggage of your delicious "bubble" metaphor. In that sense the group is more a safety or logistical support structure, particularly if I haven't been to a place before and don't speak the language fluently... Yet. :)

Reactions: bromide

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've been to Mexico, Jamaica, and all over the U.S. except for the east coast. I almost stayed in Jamaica when I was there. So many great people that I ran into. I remember a lady selling cake on the side of a street and some guy brought her to the resort and was telling everyone to buy her cake....that it was so delicious. She was charging fifty cents, but I gave her a twenty because she was so nice. Of course she didn't want to take it, but I insisted. I wish I had invited her and her children to dinner with me and my friends at Rick's Cafe.

A taxi driver who was driving a VERY nice pimped out car asked me out of the blue if I wanted to drive! I was like, whaaat? LOL I said no since I'd be to afraid of trashing his vehicle, but I loved that he asked. It's the kind of crazy thing I'd do. This guy made you feel like a king......talked to a guy at my resort who gave the driver his $400 watch.....the taxi guy was just accommodating and friendly to the extreme. The people there were pretty much all sincere and down to earth........people you could relax around. There are the occasional sketchy people, but cause no problem if you avoid them when they call you over.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I really like travelling and every time I come back from a trip is like waking up from a dream. Among all the places I have been, I like Tibet most. The natural scenery in Tibet is just so beautiful and espcially the culture, it is definitely a journey about spirituality and our relationship with the nature. And one strange thing is that I always feel closer to the sky when i'm in Tibet :laughing:

I usually like places with history, though big modern cities excite me as well. Anyone been to Cambodia? Watching sunrise from Angkor wat is just speechless.

·
PerC's 6w6
5,874 Posts
I traveled to Germany, Switzerland & Holland for a month with my family when I was 15 and was unfortunately too angsty to appreciate any of it. I did not like being somewhere that I could not understand what people were saying. I wanted to know what people were talking about, overhear conversations, read signage, etc. And you really can't do that if you don't know a word of their language. Plus, I was 15 and I missed my boyfriend back in the US. My family went out to explore castle ruins and I would stay behind and watch Germany's MTV and email my boyfriend. haha, I was such a stick in the mud back then.

BUT NOW I would totally go back to these places and explore them. As it is, my voluntary traveling has been done just in the US and Canada. I have been all over the states. In my lifetime, I hope to visit every state. I also want to visit every Canadian province. I would love to go to Newfoundland and the Yukon Territory. I love being out in the wilderness and feeling secluded from the masses. Canada is such a beautiful place for this kind of experience. Also, the area around the northern Great Lakes feels like paradise to me. For my honeymoon, my husband and I took two weeks and just drove around the circumference of Lake Superior. It was so beautiful. I love going to small towns, away from chain stores and familiar logos. That's my idea of a vacation. Screw Cancun and resorts. yuck. no thanks. Put me in the middle of nowhere and I will be happy as a clam.
Clams are happy? What about barnacles then?

·
MOTM June 2012
9,333 Posts
One of these days, I'm dropping everything and buying a one way ticket to Spain and whatever happens happens. In a few years time I'll make it happen. I've dreamed about it for so long that I'm sick of allways just talking about it -I want to actually make it a reality. I'm saving up the funds right now, and still trying to learn some Spanish just so I'm not completely fucked once I get there.

I drove myself 7 hours to Pittsburgh -alone, to get over my fear of driving on the freeway. I told no one where I was going and I was all alone so if I ran into trouble I had only myself to rely on. That was such a rush! The next year, I went and stayed in a shitty hostel in Manhattan and explored the city for a week by myself. What an adventure that was! Europe is the next logical step, and one day I'll be in Spain savoring the music, the women, the culture in person. I can't wait!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Barnacles are also delicious. And they eat them in Spain. And since i've lived in Spain four times now i'll go with you!!! :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts