Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you noticed INFPs seem pretty open online compared to INFJs? Like I'm an INFP, and the majority of my friends from MBTI are INFP, and most seem willing to have a convo, and it seems it flows a lot. Whereas I know some INFJs who seem less talkative in text, a bit light-lipped, reserved, guarded. In real life they say INFJ seems more outwardly open because of Fe, but I don't think that's always the case, but it can be. I feel INFPs are more 'verbally' extroverted than their expressions show. Also INFPs have more of an affinity for, and prefer, writing, as a rule.

·
Registered
252 Posts
'Tis true that I am much more verbally expressive IRL. But I don't talk about myself per se, as in I don't share much (if any) about my personal life to anyone except a chosen few. Why? People in general aren't interested in other people, many love to talk about themselves and the happenings in their own lives...and so I let them. If I ever do try to share a piece of me, most normally just turn the conversation back into them. And this is when I back away.

But what I really love to talk about are topics about philosophy, the human condition, psycho-analyzing someone for one my coworkers/friends (playing psychologist, I suppose, haha), discuss interesting documentaries and my thoughts and feelings about them, conspiracy theories :tongue:, helping my friends about their issues, energies/vibes.......damn, I sound strange!

But yeah, I am definitely more talkative in person than my online persona. But I don't get personal unless I'm close to the person I'm conversing with, or if I'm letting them in.

My male INFJ colleague is pretty open about himself if you ask him at point blank! We pretty much like to discuss the same topics, except he also loves talking about sports too, typical guy stuff, I guess. Compared to our INFP colleague, we are chatter birds compared to her. She's so quiet and can be easily forgotten. However, when she does talk, damn, that Ne is so creative and funny! It's definitely a treat when we can get her to talk! I also noticed that she readily offers more personal info about herself without being prompted. We only share if asked.

I do like to converse with people, it's my way of connecting with them. (Unless I'm super busy or just not into them, then I'll remain tight-lipped.)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm always in search for the perfect texting partner. It seems like nobody is able to have an interesting or imaginative text conversation. I think I may fit the description of "reserved" in texting with people who...well, suck at it. But if you understand how to respond and build on whatever I'm saying, I won't be. As for speaking in real life, I'm almost always reserved. If I manage to yank open my rusted Fe faucet though, I will be much less so. Also, why is writing and language always considered INFP territory? I've never understood that. Maybe it's more a me thing than an INFJ thing, but writing and comprehension have always been my greatest talents.

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,261 Posts
My personal impression is that INFJs tend to be more suspicious and less trusting of others while INFPs want to give people the benefit of the doubt but often feel too intimidated or too awkward to actually speak up. It also seems to me that INFJs actually prefer to hold parts of themselves in reserve because in some way it's important to their sense of self to have parts that Nobody else knows. It's my impression that INFPs on the other hand really long to be known at a deep level, to feel free to be open and to be seen for who they are, but they are often afraid or intimidated by others and that's why they are reserved, but it's not as much something they want to be. Writing keeps you distanced from people's expressions or tangible-life influence that might hurt you, so... it's less scary to share things in writing from a 'safe' distance. It may seem like the same thing 'not trusting others' and 'being afraid of others' but I think there is a subtle difference. I could be wrong though, I haven't known many iNFJs very closely, and it could be coincidence that my INFP friends are much like myself.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, you all sound like you'd make awesome conversation partners! Yeah INFPs do often tend to want that, I feel, to want to be understood.etc, and long for someone who can. I know it's that way for me. Someone being on the same level is important. Also online, there isn't the potential awkwardness of body language, voice, and potential physical confrontation.

·
Registered
277 Posts
This is sort of related to your thread so hope you don't mind me asking. Is there a difference in INFP and INFJ text online? I remember reading somewhere that some people felt INFPs used more smileys (which seemed kind of silly to me). Apparently an INFJ's Ti can be really obvious in text form. Does anyone else notice it, at least on these forums? Honestly users at the INFJ forums versus users at the INFP forums can seem very similar to me (is that just so many mistypes???)

·
Registered
131 Posts
@Giannine I can definitely vouch for both statements. I used to be in a relationship with an INFP. I used a smiley once, and then she caught on and tacked one on to every message. As for the other, my Ti really comes out in texting and writing in general. I don't really have more information than that, but yes.

·
Registered
277 Posts
@Giannine I can definitely vouch for both statements. I used to be in a relationship with an INFP. I used a smiley once, and then she caught on and tacked one on to every message. As for the other, my Ti really comes out in texting and writing in general. I don't really have more information than that, but yes.
I can do the smiley thing. I usually wait until the other person adds a smiley and then I'll go smiley crazy.

What does Ti look like in texts/posts? Good grammar, little to no spelling errors, and so on?

·
Registered
131 Posts
What does Ti look like in texts/posts? Good grammar, little to no spelling errors, and so on?
Pretty much. At least, that's what I strive for. My style also tends to be very straightforward and clear, even if I'm delivering some sort of absurdist joke. I think that may be why people associate INFPs with fiction and INFJs more with nonfiction. Although I don't prefer one over the other, I can see where that train of thought comes from.

Reactions: Val37

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is sort of related to your thread so hope you don't mind me asking. Is there a difference in INFP and INFJ text online? I remember reading somewhere that some people felt INFPs used more smileys (which seemed kind of silly to me). Apparently an INFJ's Ti can be really obvious in text form. Does anyone else notice it, at least on these forums? Honestly users at the INFJ forums versus users at the INFP forums can seem very similar to me (is that just so many mistypes???)
I haven't chatted to enough INFJs online to really get a good sense. I've heard they tend to be more concise and use fewer words. I'm not sure I've noticed that with the few INFJs I talk to. As for the smiley thing, I don't know, I haven't noticed. I sometimes use smileys.

How does Ti manifest in text form? You mean the content of what they're saying? How they make conclusions?

·
Registered
73 Posts
In both real life and online I tend to be very reserved until I feel I've gotten a good enough read on the other person to judge weather it's OK to open up more. I don't know if it's accurate or not, but I think it might be easier for INFPs to connect and relate to people across a greater distance whilst INFJs might need more direct contact to make sense of another person. I, for instance, rely greatly on "vibe" and it's alot harder to get a good sense of that over the internet.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In both real life and online I tend to be very reserved until I feel I've gotten a good enough read on the other person to judge weather it's OK to open up more. I don't know if it's accurate or not, but I think it might be easier for INFPs to connect and relate to people across a greater distance whilst INFJs might need more direct contact to make sense of another person. I, for instance, rely greatly on "vibe" and it's alot harder to get a good sense of that over the internet.
Since we focus more on the words? Yeah, that makes sense.

·
Banned
3,318 Posts
I have always considered INFPs to be generally better at expressing their thoughts -- something I sort of envy. I would chalk it up to having Extroverted Intuition as their auxiliary.

INxJs do have this somewhat inexplicable (and sometimes even irrational) need to keep a veil over ourselves. There are plenty of things that I keep private simply because I am more comfortable with them being private. This has nothing to do with shame, guilt, or some sort of repression.

Again, I would chalk this up to our intuition (and our thinking as well, in the INFJ's case), which is introverted. INxJs find it strangely comforting to have stores and stores of information and understanding that is exclusively ours. We do not feel comfortable divulging this sort of information unless we see a practical reason for doing so.

Our Extroverted Feeling vs an INFP's Introverted Feeling also plays a role in this. While Fe does have more to do with making connections, one thing that needs to be understood is that it also focuses on the feelings of others, not our own. INFJs -- at least in my own experience -- seldom feel a sense of possession over their emotions. We don't feel a tug of strong convictions or sentiments within ourselves that we want others to understand, we're more interested in understanding how that works in other people. I would say that our Feeling, as a function, has less to do with our identity and is used more as a tool.

So, in essence, we don't share much about ourselves -- at least not from the INFP perspective -- because we don't really "feel" much there that can be shared. Even as I type this up, I am more interested in sharing this as theory rather than something to do with me as a person.

To recap: Ni/Ti closely guards itself and rarely wants to express itself, and Fe causes INFJs to rarely have a sense of ownership over their feelings (and we don't really want one either). This might work differently for other INFJs, but that's how it works for me at least.

·
Registered
252 Posts
From what I've observed here on the forum, INFJs Ti do tend to be less verbose and get straight to the point, can be a bit jumping the gun and sounding judgmental. But Fe makes sure that we don't offend anyone too severely. When Ti gets obnoxious, it's very broken-down and strives to be as accurate as possible. That's what I've noticed here. The vibe that I get from INFJs here when offering advice/help, comes off as very detached, yet calm and soothing at the same time...if that makes any sense? Ti can make us seem like rationals on occasions but Fe tries not to offend.

INFPs, from what I've noticed, use a lot of Fi and Si in their posts. It's much more warm and nostalgic feeling to me, and sounds more personal. Instead of offering advice, they actually try to connect by sharing their own experience (not that some INFJs don't do this, it's just that the extent that INFJs do this is much less frequent and information shared is very bare bones in comparison). There's a general vibe and feel that I get from most posts here, and these are the motifs that I've picked up on. Just my impression.

·
Registered
24,372 Posts
Reactions: Giannine

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Have you noticed INFPs seem pretty open online compared to INFJs? Like I'm an INFP, and the majority of my friends from MBTI are INFP, and most seem willing to have a convo, and it seems it flows a lot. Whereas I know some INFJs who seem less talkative in text, a bit light-lipped, reserved, guarded. In real life they say INFJ seems more outwardly open because of Fe, but I don't think that's always the case, but it can be. I feel INFPs are more 'verbally' extroverted than their expressions show. Also INFPs have more of an affinity for, and prefer, writing, as a rule.

Cant share real life experience because I don't think I have an INFP among my BFFs. I do have an ISFP brother though.

However, check out this YouTube clip on INFP/INFJ :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts