Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this from another thread I started:

I'm sorry if I place the question in a vague stand, but I suppose that's the purpose of it. I was curious to know about stereotypes and interpretations at a level that comes from personal experiences.

I don't see as being 100% extroverted as necessarily linked to getting approval from anyone, social traits and seeking approval can actually be mutually exclusive, depending on how the individual internalizes his/her interactions and events. I often associate 100% extroversion with needing as much social energy as possible even with having times spent alone, whereas I often associate 100% introversion with needing lots of solitude even though the necessity for social interaction is there.

Extreme extroversion

Possible good side

Able to develop at least some connection with lots of random people
Able to get great energy during huge social gatherings or parties
Able to have more variety in experiences with people

Possible bad side

Might attract unnecessary or unknown drama in highly charged social settings
Might unconsciously neglect a few people closest to the person from time to time, though not always

Extreme introversion

Possible good side

Able to express individualistic talents with passion in private and then develop them for the benefit of others
Able to get more inner reassurance about being a social non conformist

Possible bad side

Might unintentionally attract resentment from people who need them in their lives
Might become too independent and risk coming off as appearing emotionally/socially cut off

Again, it all depends on interpretation. Everyone is an individual in his/her own right. Extroversion and introversion are just traits, it depends on how the individuals internalize/relate to the external world with his/her own traits.

_______

Anyway, how would you interpret as being 'extremely extroverted' 'extremely introverted'?What do you see as advantages/drawbacks?

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
In typology, I've come to define introversion and extroversion solely in terms of what a person's dominant function is. For example, I'm an extrovert because my lead function is Extroverted Intuition. Extroverted Intuition does not lead me to have many of the characteristics you've associated with extroversion, even on a lesser scale.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone can feel free to elaborate and explain. I was merely speaking from interpretation/personal experience.

There's a thread I started relating to it in general psychology subforum.

·
Registered
251 Posts
In typology, I've come to define introversion and extroversion solely in terms of what a person's dominant function is. For example, I'm an extrovert because my lead function is Extroverted Intuition. Extroverted Intuition does not lead me to have many of the characteristics you've associated with extroversion, even on a lesser scale.
I think I've got to agree with this. Fi is my dominant function, so I act like an introvert. I don't need to apply my Fi to other people very much, so I'm not as social as I would be if it were Fe instead.

I use a lot of Ne and Te as well, though, so I'm not 100% introverted. I'd probably be more introverted if those functions weren't as developed.

I think the greatest drawback to being an extreme introvert would have to be social isolation. I also have an ENFP friend who used to oversocialize with tons of different people (to the point that she rarely spent a night at home) until she got really drained and exhausted.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
*Is glad she's a Type 4w3*

:crazy: Nah, I'm kidding... I think people who are extremely extro/introverted, though, need to learn to either become more independent (if extro) or learn to reach out a little more (if intro).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts