Personality Cafe banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Depends on the friend and the event.

I have my normal friends that I hang out with regularly and I am perfectly comfortable in their homes. Then there are the "we're friends but we don't hang out much" and those ones it can be a bit odd because I don't know how loose or strict the household is, but once I get a feel it's ok. Then there's that "we know each other from social setting X" and a group from that setting is getting together; those are uncomfortable to say the least.

Overall though, I gotta say I consider my house the ideal for me because I can do what I want here. I am in my element and can relax and focus on my guests.

In the end though, so long as it's a friend I like, I don't care where we are.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I appreciate the fact that they want me to visit. And if I miss them, or like the person, I visit them.
Usually it's my mom or dad who (usually forceS) me to invite them over, because of the "obligations".
I don't mind them coming over, although I would prefer if the person waited at least 4 years before going over to my home.
Lol, only one person has ever seen my home after a mere half-year. That was for a Sweet 16 "intimate gathering" of my friends. About 6 people were invited, they all came! :)
My ESTJ parents are great at breaking the ice for me. Mom basicallly forced me to befriend my neighbors, and now one of them is a good friend of mine. The other 2 cuties moved, but I will never forget them. And Dad will always ask if a friend of mine would like to come over. It's a nice thing to do.

But w/o them, I would probably only have 1 friend, since I'm shy, quiet, occasionally anti-social, and reserved. And I would enjoy that lifestyle, lol, until it became lonesome.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I appreciate the fact that they want me to visit. And if I miss them, or like the person, I visit them.
Usually it's my mom or dad who (usually forceS) me to invite them over, because of the "obligations".
I don't mind them coming over, although I would prefer if the person waited at least 4 years before going over to my home.
Lol, only one person has ever seen my home after a mere half-year. That was for a Sweet 16 "intimate gathering" of my friends. About 6 people were invited, they all came! :)
My ESTJ parents are great at breaking the ice for me. Mom basicallly forced me to befriend my neighbors, and now one of them is a good friend of mine. The other 2 cuties moved, but I will never forget them. And Dad will always ask if a friend of mine would like to come over. It's a nice thing to do.

But w/o them, I would probably only have 1 friend, since I'm shy, quiet, occasionally anti-social, and reserved. And I would enjoy that lifestyle, lol, until it became lonesome.
Thanx Angel this is very insightful! mmmmm u gave a good real life example how ESTJ parents can be good to an INFP child

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I like going to friends houses, especially when I feel like I could use the company, but I get uneasy when I'm dependent on someone getting me home, or if there are a bunch of people I don't know (I have no problem saying hi, but they make me uncomfortable all the same).

I do like being alone a lot, and sometimes I feel like I can only stand my friends in small doses, and then I need to get away and recharge for a month, heh. (Maybe a month was a slight exaggeration)
:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy: i can relate to you :happy::happy::happy::happy:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Thanx Angel this is very insightful! mmmmm u gave a good real life example how ESTJ parents can be good to an INFP child
What, it is? Lol, erm, thanks. :)
When the family gets along, it is very smooth. But if any one of us is in a bad mood, it becomes a deathmatch!
ESTJ parents are great at teaching a (VERY VERY LAZY) INFP child responsibility, punctuality, and anything that will help them out in the future. But it's not always happy-go-lucky. :)

I forgot to mention, I don't mind visiting someone in anywhere other than my home (or their home sometimes). You will see me being "extroverted" in a library, bookstore, and outside in nature. But that's about it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I am a bit scared of going to friends' houses. Even when my ENFP friend has said "Just turn up any time, we'd love to see you," I worry about whether I will be welcome, if they really want to see me, what we will talk about, will they be busy. Then when I am at people's houses, I get worried whether I am being boring, I get nervous when I want another cup of coffee and have to ask for one (I don't ask though usually, just sit being thirsty), when should I leave, etc. It's very frustrating. If I am really comfy with someone though I can have a great time. I should probably face my fears and just do it more often!

·
Registered
68 Posts
i always hang out at friend's houses.. or have them at mine. i really only don't want to go if i am busy doing something myself or if there will be many people that i don't know there. though occasionally i will prefer to stay in. but about 6-7 days of the week i spend more time at a friend's house than my own. but i am lucky enough to have a group of friends that i've been close with for almost my whole life.. i imagine that if it was different i would probably prefer to be alone.

·
Registered
841 Posts
As an Introvert, you enjoy the state of solitude more than having people around. Unfortunately (or fortunately), you are surrounded by very friendly & socially skilled people i.e the Extroverts. They pay visits to you, bring you foods n fruits. :shocked:...

...What is YOUR experience?
Wow, I wish I had friends who did that. No one hardly ever calls me to hang out or asks to visit me:sad:. I want to be more sociable than the state I am in right now. Sure, I may go out of the house almost everyday, but I want to be with someone who wants to spend time with me. I can't reach my best friend because he is moving back with his father about 30-45 minutes away from where I live. Sorry about going somewhat off-topic.

I usually would hang out with my friends.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I usually don't like to hang out at my friend's places.
It takes a long time for me to be comfortable in someone else's home, and I just love being at home.
Also, since I don't have a car, my friends often will offer to drive me home - wich is really nice, but I feel completely at the mercy of the person I'm visiting, and I kind of feel rude and ungrateful when I say that I want to go home, and it's so difficult to find the middleway between going home too early and overstaying, and usually I want to go home really early, but I don't dare to say, and due to my conditions I can sometimes get extremely tired after a very short while and it's embarrassing, and so on... :confused:

I definetely prefer people coming over to my place, where I can relax more and things don't feel so awkward.
Me and my husband try to be hospitable and easy-going when we have guests.
I feel I've reached a goal when my friends feel comfortable enough to help themselves in the kitchen and generally feel at home - and fortunately a lot of them do now :)

However I think it's horrible when people show up without warning. I need to be prepared before being social! :frustrating:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hanging out at friends places (or having them over at mine) has always been a bit difficult for me, as I'm not the most interesting of conversationalists, so I'm always worried they'll be really bored in my company.

I find it easier to meet up with mates in public places (pub, cinema, shopping mall etc) where there's something going on around us, to distract them, to take the pressure off having to maintain a continual conversation.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Liches are crack! *nods*

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Of the one friend ive managed to keep I make him come to my house. The only other time was once when I actually organised........*deep breath* ORGANISED to go to a less well known friends house to play a fantasy tabletop game, I wouldnt normally go out on a limb like that, but I love my hobby and I wanted a game in the week rather than just for 2 hours at the weekend.

Besides, he was even shyer than me. If I didnt take charge id never get a game, but it's rare that I do something like that.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I can never get enough me-time, but I love spending time with friends from time to time as well..

but yeh, I am very picky about who I'll hang out with. Usually I gravitate to intelligent and/or adventurous people..
If someone attempts to cling to me like I am some sort of living life preserver, it will annoy the hell out of me, and I'll eventually distance myself as much as necessary..

This happens often enough that it's starting to worry me.. I need to be more assertive and straightforward. >.>

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
As an Introvert, you enjoy the state of solitude more than having people around. Unfortunately (or fortunately), you are surrounded by very friendly & socially skilled people i.e the Extroverts. They pay visits to you, bring you foods n fruits. :shocked:

To be polite to them, will you force yourself to return their visits?
I don't enjoy being alone more than being with people, though. I get more "joy" from being with people, but I can't do it forever. I need to get my "calm" on or else I will just start feeling like I'm dying.
You aren't understanding introversion right.
introverted tendencies
-liking small groups or one on one contact
-preferring fewer, deeper contacts as opposed to a wide, shallower circle of friends
-opening up in "safe" areas such as familiar interests or people while extroverts adapt
-needing time alone to recharge after social events

These are all true of me, but I don't really like being alone it's just necessary to me. If I am alone TOO long, I start to feel lonely!! So for me it's a constant balance. I try to see people often but I always end up leaving after a couple days or at the end of the party and lock the door and spend the rest of the day alone, and I enjoy that because all the thoughts that have been building up in me and this exhaustion just unloads. The contact I had before this time will tide me over because my contact meter is full and it keeps me socially fulfilled and happy for a day or so.

So for me the question is more, do I like being in their company or not?

Also, I really like going over to my friend's houses, but I would never invite myself over. I like seeing how different people make their space and I like seeing how different people eat and their different rules and expectations... well, I sometimes go over for the evening and keep extending how long I'll stay till four days before I feel like I should stop eating their food and go. The longest I've spent with someone was two weeks at which point I became intolerable to be around.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I love hanging with my friend and I'm generally pretty open about my true self, it's always voluntary. If I don't want to see them I call them up and say I'm tired, and that's happened only a few times and I never didn't want to see them I just hadn't slept the night before, I'm usually too excited about seeing them and getting my mind off myself for a few hours.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts