Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heyo everyone :)

After some discussion about my personality quirks on here, I thought it sounded like my cognitive functions were doing something odd. Sure enough, my cognitive functions at the moment are Fi>Fe>Ni>Ne>Si>Ti>Te>Se.

What's the explanation for this from the Jungian perspective? Why don't I have the standard INFP set up?

Also, I'm a 7w8. The Enthusiast. It makes perfect sense to me, but it's not really INFP like.

But then my functions and the enneagram type all really explain things to me, like how I seem more extrovert than a lot of INFPs sometimes, my empathy and interpretation, how I sound INFJish a lot of the time, why I start every topic with a greeting and end it with a thanks, my ability at science and my love of things like experimental physics and astronomy, my experience of Ni, the way I can sound INTJ ish too at times and so on...

So the functions don't make sense in the theory, but they make sense in me.

Anyone else got a similarly weird personality?

:L

In a strangely happy mood...

Thanks for reading :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
im still trying to work out the cogs myself mine seem to come out infp but the orders not a normal infp one (at least it doesnt look it to me), so i shall watch this thread with interest

Reactions: Geoffrey

·
MOTM June 2012
9,449 Posts
I've been told I come off an ENFPish sometimes. I don't know what my cogs are, but I'm a type 3 in the enneagram which I guess is pretty rare, but accounts for alot of things that don't seem INFPish.

·
Registered
INFP, 4w5 sx/sp ♂
1,525 Posts
My cognitive functions always come out as something bizarre, like Fi = Ti = Ni > Ne > Si > Fe > Te > Se.

My enneagram is pretty typical for an INFP; I'm 4w5. My head fix is 7w6 though which can make me seem ENFPish at times.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I don't think it's realistic to expect every single person of any type to have their cognitive functions ordered as typical. There will be variations. It's interesting to explore cognitive functions and our different preferences for them, to see how they account for the differences among us.

My processes are sometimes ranked Fi-Ni-Ti-Se, sometimes Ni-Fi-Ti-Se. Generally, my Ni and Fi preferences may be tied. So I sometimes appear to exhibit some INFP traits and sometimes some INFJ traits. I personally don't think there is much of a difference between the two types, based on the descriptions. I'm a 4w5 which isn't uncommon for either type.

I'd like to see more people post responses to this, to see our variations. :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
ok think ennegram is sorted as my sig
i seem to be a 9w1 going by the descriptions a not compleatly healthy one

cogs are all over the place but consistantly infp

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
My enneagram is at my signature, having a head 7w6 and being the first gives me an unusual facility (for INFPs) to deal with the outside world, still need to charge though, but I have devised a way that allows me to maintain an almost constant level.

1,636 Posts
test are not working well really
my personal opinion is that you look into thous cog functions and see do you use them or not...you should recognize yourself
turn on introspective nature max and do your best
and try looking into what you value most and how do you do
it's different really what we want to be and how we are
people also work on themselves to be more organized or disorganized...so they often solve the test based on where they think they should be going...getting their favorite profile instead of what they truly are

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Put simple: Tests are quite unreliable.

1,636 Posts
Put simple: Tests are quite unreliable.
completely - my friend who is ISFP and completely ISFP according to functions etc. got on one test that she is an INFJ who wants to be ESTJ and who likes dating ENFPs -.-
well you tell me

·
Registered
47 Posts
My functions aren't especially weird, but they are a bit different from the typical INFP (see signature). However, my enneagram is 3w2, which surprised even me. I think that mostly has to do with my relentless ambition, though.

·
Banned
190 Posts
Heyo everyone :)

After some discussion about my personality quirks on here, I thought it sounded like my cognitive functions were doing something odd. Sure enough, my cognitive functions at the moment are Fi>Fe>Ni>Ne>Si>Ti>Te>Se.
My results:
Introverted Feeling (Fi) |||||||||||||||||||||||||| 12.31
Extroverted Feeling (Fe) ||||||||||||||||||||| 9.885
Introverted Intuition (Ni) ||||||||||||||||||| 8.925
Extroverted Intuition (Ne) |||||||||||||||| 7.35
Introverted Thinking (Ti) ||||||| 2.76
Extroverted Sensation (Se) |||||| 2.03
Introverted Sensation (Si) || 0.47
Extroverted Thinking (Te) || 0.01

Yeah, I tested as the exact same, not sure what it means either... Did you take the PerC quiz? I did, and the questions were a bit strange. I mean, I felt uncomfortable with some of the questions because they really depended on circumstance. I know this is all based on preferences and what have you, but I feel that my Sensing and Thinking numbers don't reflect how often I use those functions. You can't give detailed reasons on a one-to-five, multiple choice system.

I saw a lot of myself in your self-description. I dunno, maybe you're not a typical INFP... I often say I am, but I don't think so. Finding a typical anything sounds easy enough, but I can't always do it. I like your Fe, I got a lot of it too, according to this, anyway. There are people here, possibly "typical" INFP's who discount Fe as disingenuous, but it's the lubrication of society. The general happiness of those around you or even the world in general is pretty important, or it is for me anyway. I don't mind laying it on a lil' thick if it puts a smile on someone's face, I just want to make things alright. Trying to make the world less shitty is one of my "deeply held values", and I can use Fe in situations where I think it could help. I think I'm talking out of my ass, atm, I'm still learning about the functions.

**Well, almost the same... I just noticed the last two functions are different :S

·
Registered
616 Posts
What's the explanation for this from the Jungian perspective? Why don't I have the standard INFP set up?
Also, I'm a 7w8. The Enthusiast. It makes perfect sense to me, but it's not really INFP like.
But then my functions and the enneagram type all really explain things to me, like how I seem more extrovert than a lot of INFPs sometimes, my empathy and interpretation, how I sound INFJish a lot of the time, why I start every topic with a greeting and end it with a thanks, my ability at science and my love of things like experimental physics and astronomy, my experience of Ni, the way I can sound INTJ ish too at times and so on...
So the functions don't make sense in the theory, but they make sense in me.
Anyone else got a similarly weird personality?
test are not working well really
my personal opinion is that you look into thous cog functions and see do you use them or not...you should recognize yourself
turn on introspective nature max and do your best
and try looking into what you value most and how do you do
it's different really what we want to be and how we are
people also work on themselves to be more organized or disorganized...so they often solve the test based on where they think they should be going...getting their favorite profile instead of what they truly are
-----I have unusual results as well:
  • Fe>Ni>Ne>Fi>Si>Te>Se>Ti
  • Ne>Fe>Ni>Fi>Ti>Te>Si>Se
  • Fi>Ni>Fe>Ne>Te>Ti>Si>Se
-----Here is some information from the site:
  • Furthermore, people who have taken this assessment and reported their 4-letter type code have received results that matched their type code 75% to 80% of the time. This is excellent performance since the reported type may be inaccurate even when "validated" or from a professional assessment. Even when the type code does not exactly match, the temperament result matches over 95% of the time.
-----In the end, you have to look for differentials: some telling difference between Fi and Fe for instance. This can get complicated. However, there is usually an identifiable difference (though as pattern-seers, we often are better able to see similarities, even when not apparent, than differences--which might account for that eternal INFP searching). As a Type-9 Peacemaker, I value harmony in relationships and groups. That might sound like Fe, but here's the difference: my definition of harmony is not that people superficially get along and my values are not drawn for the group; rather, my definition of harmony is personal (irrespective of the group) and is that each individual person be free to speak about deep things and to disagree with each other in a respectful manner--and that all people involved are entitled to their feelings, thoughts, and opinions.
-----So while the test may accurately identify core type (NF), I don't think it accurately differentiates between cognitive functions.
-----When I read about the INFP cognitive functions, it fits for me. In actuality, the very definition of INFP rests on a particular order of particular cognitive functions (Fi>Ne>Si>Te). But the cognitive function instruments do not thus far seem to be able to type people as well as the MBTI.
~~~~----~~~~----~~~~
Latest Results:
Introverted Feeling (Fi) ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 13.85
Introverted Intuition (Ni) ||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 12.945
Extroverted Feeling (Fe) |||||||||||||||||||||||| 11.415
Extroverted Intuition (Ne) |||||||||||||||||| 8.11
Extroverted Thinking (Te) ||||| 1.55
Introverted Thinking (Ti) ||||| 1.53
Introverted Sensation (Si) || 0.24
Extroverted Sensation (Se) || -0.43

1,636 Posts
-----I have unusual results as well:
  • Fe>Ni>Ne>Fi>Si>Te>Se>Ti
  • Ne>Fe>Ni>Fi>Ti>Te>Si>Se
  • Fi>Ni>Fe>Ne>Te>Ti>Si>Se
-----Here is some information from the site:
  • Furthermore, people who have taken this assessment and reported their 4-letter type code have received results that matched their type code 75% to 80% of the time. This is excellent performance since the reported type may be inaccurate even when "validated" or from a professional assessment. Even when the type code does not exactly match, the temperament result matches over 95% of the time.
-----In the end, you have to look for differentials: some telling difference between Fi and Fe for instance. This can get complicated. However, there is usually an identifiable difference (though as pattern-seers, we often are better able to see similarities, even when not apparent, than differences--which might account for that eternal INFP searching). As a Type-9 Peacemaker, I value harmony in relationships and groups. That might sound like Fe, but here's the difference: my definition of harmony is not that people superficially get along and my values are not drawn for the group; rather, my definition of harmony is personal (irrespective of the group) and is that each individual person be free to speak about deep things and to disagree with each other in a respectful manner--and that all people involved are entitled to their feelings, thoughts, and opinions.
-----So while the test may accurately identify core type (NF), I don't think it accurately differentiates between cognitive functions.
-----When I read about the INFP cognitive functions, it fits for me. In actuality, the very definition of INFP rests on a particular order of particular cognitive functions (Fi>Ne>Si>Te). But the cognitive function instruments do not thus far seem to be able to type people as well as the MBTI.
~~~~----~~~~----~~~~
Latest Results:
Introverted Feeling (Fi) ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 13.85
Introverted Intuition (Ni) ||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 12.945
Extroverted Feeling (Fe) |||||||||||||||||||||||| 11.415
Extroverted Intuition (Ne) |||||||||||||||||| 8.11
Extroverted Thinking (Te) ||||| 1.55
Introverted Thinking (Ti) ||||| 1.53
Introverted Sensation (Si) || 0.24
Extroverted Sensation (Se) || -0.43

I wouldn't say test are completely useless. They are guideline but the result needs to be checked and a little bit of questioning yourself wouldn't be bad. Just to be sure and everything. I think it's very possible that you are giving a wrong answers. Like for example when they ask me "do you like objectivity?" ...yeah sure i like it ...who wouldn't appreciated it - but do i work that way really?

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
The cognitive function tests are useless so I won't say much about my functions. Think I use a lot of Ne thou (or prefer to use).

My enneagram is 6w7 1w2 and 4wx so/sx and I'm quite introverted. I'd say its odd considering many INFPs consider themselves 9 or 4 (mostly 4s). Enneagram tests suck thou. I tested as 4w5-4w3 for the longest time.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@eyenexepee you can use the tests for a rough guide but I wouldn't swear on it - research the functions, and take into account the introvert vs extrovert nature of them too. 'Do several different tests as well to see what you generally get, and then study the functions they suggest and see if you agree with the descriptions.

I figured out my own order from a mixture of tests and self-searching. The test has suggested that I'm ISFJ, ISFP, INFJ, ENFP and ENFJ in the past. However, I looked up the functions it was mentioning and compared it with my enneagram and my day to day interactions and figured it out from there.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
'Do several different tests as well to see what you generally get, and then study the functions they suggest and see if you agree with the descriptions.
I've done this more than once. What I was wondering if there is a *particular* test for testing what cognitive functions one uses most (regardless of type), or something alike. Cause every test I've used so far gives me INFP, with usually lo-Fi hi-Ne scores - and usually hi-I lo-P.

Did I make it a lil more clear this time? ^^;

·
Registered
616 Posts
I've done this more than once. What I was wondering if there is a *particular* test for testing what cognitive functions one uses most (regardless of type), or something alike. Cause every test I've used so far gives me INFP, with usually lo-Fi hi-Ne scores - and usually hi-I lo-P.

Did I make it a lil more clear this time? ^^;
-----I used Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes.

Reactions: illicit iridescence

·
Registered
145 Posts
my enneagrams are weird, they're aways different.

right now i'm a type 7 with a 6 wing.

most times i'm a typical 4 with a 5 wing.

and another one that sometimes pops up is a 9 with a 1 wing.

cool!
it's usually these three in some order.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts