Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is studying business, politics, etc...and what do you plan to do with the degree?

I am thinking of studying Organizational Leadership which is a degree that would allow me to work in business, local/state government, or non-profit. I want to work the major with my minor in environmental studies to work for local/state parks or non-profit camps or nature organizations.

Just curious how any of you felow INFP's have faired in a business major or career.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Huh, seems like something an INFP would seldom partake in, but it doesn't sound too bad, especially if the pay is sweet! If I had to choose one; I'd go for politics, even though I might not be very good at it, and if I were good at it, it would take me a while. So long as I get to improve things for everyone while making sure everyone gets a fair shot, so long as they're not leeches. Is that your motive? ;)

My father offered to give me $300 to go to some sort of small Insurance school a couple of years ago, and I'm actually sad that I turned it down. I'd actually do it now, since it's so hard to get into anything these days. So long as ya make a buck, even if it's not what you're passionate about, then it's all right. =)

Glad you're an INFP tackling a different field! Which one of the options you were going to get into interests you the most? Business, local/state government, or something non-profit?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would be looking into the non-profit sector. I have an Associates degree in Arts and Science, and I am thinking about studying English or Organizational Leadership for my Bachelors at my university. I already have enough credits for a minor in Geography/Env. Studies, so I'm looking to pair a suitable major with my minor so that I have a versatile degree. I figure with a BA in English or a BS in Organization Leadership paired with the minor in Env. Studies, I could find a great job for a non-profit organization that I'm passionate about.

There is a non-profit nature center that I want to work at close to where I live, so I'm currently looking into that. If anything, I would like to work for a county or state parks system too because I truly believe that keeping wild natural spaces open to the public is worthwhile. We all need a little place to go and unwind with nature!

The only reason I'm considering a degree in Organization Leadership is because it is more focused on non-profit organization work (compared to a Business Major, yuck), is cheaper than the English degree (aprox. $20,000 for the OL degree and aprox. $40,000 for English), and it will take less time to complete the Organization Leadership degree (2.5 years) compared to the English degree (3-3.5 years).

Idk, what do you think? Would if be easier for me to get into non-profit work with a BA English/Env. Studies or BS Organization Leadership/Env. Studies?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Back in 1998 up to 2002, I majored in Business Finance & Management in LA. That was 8 years ago..

And now,..I seriously don't know if it's my INFP head/brain that's messing up myself (and my life), or what,
but one thing I know for sure is: I damn regretted it so much.
so much, that now it actually really hurts to see that disappointed looks from my 'traditional Asian' parents, especially my Dad, whom I know must have 'invested' a lot in my Business education (btw, I took Business major because I was pressured into taking it by my dad and uncle..so yeah.. :/ ) , only to see that now:
- I just suddenly quit from my 7-years family-business job (another BIG major disappointment for my dad, certainly) because simply I just can't stand this kind of 'dry' life anymore,..and also of the working environment (it's a factory) and my supposed job-desk (ie: Purchasing Manager)! While I'm always more into the creative, people-oriented, and very high on imaginations side!! which everything that my dad seems to grunt and opposed as "not going to make BIG money"
- So now, I am practically unemployed, always stay at home, and now trying hard to make my Music career (my passion) work,..but still to no avail...it seems like it's easier said than done.
- And with my cursed-idealism again, alas, I even got quite depressed these days, ie: the same ol' environment, under constant watch of my parents & brother of my EVERY step, hellish environment in my city (ie: traffic jam, sadly uncreative monotone music culture, problems with government, etc), that now I'm viewed as rather "slow" and "USELESS" for seemingly 'slacking-off' and 'not doing anything worthwhile" , to their (my parents') eyes.
- While keep thinking if I"m already too OLD to revamp all my life again.... I'm currently thinking of moving to another country/city to start a new life, but again, it seems easier said than done, as I'm still finding out HOW I can do this independently.

So sometimes, with all the 'problems' above, I do wonder, if I had just 'suck-it-up' and just worked on Finance/banking/investment company, and got BIG salary, or if I just simply continue my family-business factory,...then perhaps my Life would be different now?...and everybody's happy?....or would it actually just make me even more depressed and worse?

An idealist problem, it seems...:mellow:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I would be looking into the non-profit sector. I have an Associates degree in Arts and Science, and I am thinking about studying English or Organizational Leadership for my Bachelors at my university. I already have enough credits for a minor in Geography/Env. Studies, so I'm looking to pair a suitable major with my minor so that I have a versatile degree. I figure with a BA in English or a BS in Organization Leadership paired with the minor in Env. Studies, I could find a great job for a non-profit organization that I'm passionate about.

There is a non-profit nature center that I want to work at close to where I live, so I'm currently looking into that. If anything, I would like to work for a county or state parks system too because I truly believe that keeping wild natural spaces open to the public is worthwhile. We all need a little place to go and unwind with nature!

The only reason I'm considering a degree in Organization Leadership is because it is more focused on non-profit organization work (compared to a Business Major, yuck), is cheaper than the English degree (aprox. $20,000 for the OL degree and aprox. $40,000 for English), and it will take less time to complete the Organization Leadership degree (2.5 years) compared to the English degree (3-3.5 years).

Idk, what do you think? Would if be easier for me to get into non-profit work with a BA English/Env. Studies or BS Organization Leadership/Env. Studies?
Hehe, you said EASIER, and I definitely thought that the Organizational Leadership degree would be! How much does each pay? I suppose that so long as it's a living and you get to help people as much as you can, it may be worth it to you. It would be for me!

But I think the ultimate decision maker would be: Which do you feel more natural/comfortable doing? I think the BS is more hands-on and allows you to be more active, but that could get tiring after a while (at least for me). Maybe it's more up your alley. =)
I would have a hard time deciding, too. But I say: it doesn't matter the money or the effort; choose the one you will be the most natural and comfortable in while giving the most back to the community. (if you so desire it). =)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry for picking up what I am aware of is an old thread.
As a soon to be graduate from business school and a recent discoverer of my type, this is a subject of concern for me. Since realizing myself as an INFP, a lot of issues and decisions of the past makes sense. One of which is the obvious progress of my education leading more and more into behavioral science and leaving the economics. There was glimpses of joy in studying Business Adm./Economics, but all in all, it wasn't for me. Instead I took extra courses in sociology and social psychology (in which I will get a bachelor in the fall) and avoided all dull mathematical courses in favor for Management and Leadership.
And now, in my final semester, I am considering a career as a psychologist, but with the strict rules for becoming a psychologist (at least in Sweden) it would take me another 5 years of full time studies and that makes it saddening unrealistic at the moment.
Maybe in a later stage of my life.

So where does it leave me? In one year's time, I will have a Master's degree in BA (Management & Leadership) and a Bachelor in Sociology. As an INFP, I want to help and develop individuals and would prefer a psychologist-like profession. Working with education and/or youth doesn't interest me. I guess I will end up in the area of HR in someway. Does anyone have any advice on suitable positions for a lost INFP in the business world?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The only thing I would do would be political activism, not for profit work or activist journalism. I hated working for big companies, and most gov jobs are far too structured and not creative whatsoever for my taste.

Hi Niki... sounds like me, I felt pressured to do computer science...then had about a 7-8 year career in it, had 4 jobs, hated it for the most part. I'm still feeling the effects of doing something I hate, and trying to focus on my writing while doing less stressful jobs to keep me afloat. I'm also looking for cities to move to and start fresh with. :) I have moved a lot, but there was

I actually like LA and California in general. Not the superficial parts of it, but everything else. I enjoyed living in San Francisco also and the overall environment, I just wasn't doing anything I wanted to do at the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts