Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off, let me begin by saying that i may not be an INXP- it's very possible that i'm an EXTP that's under stress. but in the case that i am not...

i know it sounds absolutely terrible, but i find that i get bored of friends in the following situations:

1) i find that the other party has become far too dependent on me.

2) i find that the other person has nothing to teach me and the conversation is one-sided (with me usually teaching them/advising them).

3) i find that they've "stolen" my personality and is mimicking me in behavior and humor

basically, i hate imbalance and it irritates me to no end when i find that a friendship has become this way. it is enough for me to end the friendship. i wish i didnt feel like this, but i find that by staying in the friendship, the other person can easily sense that i'm forcing myself to hang out with them (i hear that i'm easy to read) and becomes irritated. then i get even more irritated when i sense their irritation in response to my irritation. i dont want to ignore them because that seems cowardly but at the same time when i tell them what i think about them, they get really pissed and that causes trouble for me later on. i've tried distancing myself before but as it is, it seems that the people who embody the situations above are really sensitive and can immediately tell what i'm doing.

...so yeah. does this happen to you guys as well? and if so, how do you deal with it?

·
Registered
54 Posts
you sound like an INFJ when you list those things....

i am not sure that i am INFP, but here is my input: i know it sounds horrible, but if i had no other friends, i would probably stick with the boring person and seek my mental stimulation elsewhere. if i had other interesting friends, i would probably start talking to them more and i would probably slowly stop talking to the boring person. i wouldn't end a friendship or become bored of a person in any of those three situations, but i would find a friendship boring if they couldn't keep up with some of the concepts that i was addressing - i do get irritated having to explain myself excessively.

i deal with the general lack of mental stimulation i find in some of my friends by looking to books and classes for elucidation, and only talking to them when i am in a positive mood.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
With me, I have friends or aquaintances. If you are an aquaintances, then you aren't close enough to earn loyalty. If I don't enjoy spending time with you, I'd probably slowly disappear as I distanced myself, very likely without realizing. If you are a friend, I don't consider you boring.

I hope that didn't come across as heartless. I don't have the energy for many friends as I'm a very private person and prefer to be alone most of the time. I don't feel I should have to expend the energy, nor do I want to put up a facade of being the friend if my heart isn't full in it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
145 Posts
With me, I have friends or aquaintances. If you are an aquaintances, then you aren't close enough to earn loyalty. If I don't enjoy spending time with you, I'd probably slowly disappear as I distanced myself, very likely without realizing. If you are a friend, I don't consider you boring.

I hope that didn't come across as heartless. I don't have the energy for many friends as I'm a very private person and prefer to be alone most of the time. I don't feel I should have to expend the energy, nor do I want to put up a facade of being the friend if my heart isn't full in it.
This is all true for me as well. I used to think I didn't have any friends, than I realized I had quite a few people who considered me to be theirs but who I didn't at all consider to be mine.:crying:
Right now I only consider one person my friend,( along with a few others I haven't spoken with for years who I'm pretty sure have forgotten about me) and we hardly keep any contact at all:/
Anyways, friends are those whom I could never lose interest in and who shall for ever have a piece of my heart.

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thats happened for all my friendships.. I used to (and still sometimes) think something is really wrong with me, with how quickly I become bored or irritated with other people. I also hate the imbalanced feelings in friendships.. like they have so much fun with me, but I spend our "friendship" being bored with them or listening to their problems. I decided I'm incapable of keeping friendships, unless I saw the person so rarely.

But yeah.. anyway. I don't end the friendship because thats unfair, but I gradually distance myself from the other person so I can at least get a break from their personality.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I'm pretty much the same as everybody else... In this kind of situation I distance myself...and they become more of an acquaintance than a friend. I used to just disappear when I was younger but I've learned how this can hurt people. I'm trying not to do this anymore. So rather than end the friendship (if they're a good person...and I'm just bored with them) I'll distance myself and hang out with them every once in a while. Sometimes if somebody is nice but I just don't have a lot in common only seeing them every so often can be enjoyable. We actually have things to discuss because we don't speak often.

·
Banned
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also hate the imbalanced feelings in friendships.. like they have so much fun with me, but I spend our "friendship" being bored with them or listening to their problems.
that sounds like some of the friends i used to have. they were selfish and self-absorbed. whenever we were together, they would just bitch about the same problems over and over again. despite giving them advice and patiently listening to their problems, in the end i found out that they were more interested in bitching than in actually solving their own problems. furthermore i found out that they didnt really care that much about me, not to mention that they became extremely dependent on me and became angry with me if i didnt shower them with attention. after experiencing the fifth friend like this, i found out that i exhibited codependency behavior.

(Codependency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

from that point on, i avoided making friends with anyone who reminded me of those shitty friends who do nothing but talk about themselves.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm not sure if I show that behavior but it seems likely. Thanks for the information. I've always felt that it was my job to listen to people's problems, because not everyone has someone to talk to and a lot of people really need to know they have support in their lives. But I'm getting really sick of one-sided friendships where I become a personal therapist, you know?

·
Banned
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure if I show that behavior but it seems likely. Thanks for the information. I've always felt that it was my job to listen to people's problems, because not everyone has someone to talk to and a lot of people really need to know they have support in their lives. But I'm getting really sick of one-sided friendships where I become a personal therapist, you know?
yes. i know what you mean. take care of yourself before you try to take care of others. otherwise, you might end up getting bitter and angry like i did.

i've always felt a need to be the best friend possible- that it was my DUTY to always be there for them. (possibly from experience growing up in a household where my parents were usually fighting. always telling me about their problems, always trying to get me to be on their side) however, once it becomes an obligation, it isnt a true gift anymore. i dunno if it's true for you, but for me, once it becomes expected, i begin to expect the other party to also do the same service for me when i need it. unfortunately, i found out the hard way that the people who complain the most are the ones who are the most unwilling to give back. they're so self-absorbed in their own problems and they cant see or bother to understand the other person's suffering.

try and find people who are as generous with their time and effort as you are. they're the ones who make friendship worth it. :)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I believe that friendship, like so much else in life, is transitory. People drift in and out of our lives all the time for a variety of reasons. There will be some friendships that last a lifetime, but many more will not. It's OK, it's just the way things are. Even close friends can drift apart when they no longer have so much in common (which would probably lead to boredom). I don't see any reason to maintain any relationship if it is not mutually beneficial.

On the other hand, if I really like someone, I try hard to make sure they think of me as beneficial. :wink:

·
Registered
145 Posts
that sounds like some of the friends i used to have. they were selfish and self-absorbed. whenever we were together, they would just bitch about the same problems over and over again. despite giving them advice and patiently listening to their problems, in the end i found out that they were more interested in bitching than in actually solving their own problems. furthermore i found out that they didnt really care that much about me, not to mention that they became extremely dependent on me and became angry with me if i didnt shower them with attention. after experiencing the fifth friend like this, i found out that i exhibited codependency behavior.

(Codependency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

from that point on, i avoided making friends with anyone who reminded me of those shitty friends who do nothing but talk about themselves.
I think I totally used to be codependent. O.O

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
When I start becoming bored/annoyed with friends, it usually means we're spending too much time together. A little space can make things ALOT better.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
To put it simply - yes, I have felt all three that you have listed and it has caused me to get annoyed with the person and then distance myself to where they are more of an acquaintance. There just comes a point sometimes where you sit back, look at it and think "you know - I'm not gaining much from this relationship, because its all about them". I haven't had a situation like this for quite a while, but I dealt with this a few times from grade school up until early college. But of course I dealt with it better and in a different way as time went on.

Its good to see other people dealt with this because I think back on some of those times and feel like a bad person for dissipating people out of my life for those given reasons.:sad: But what do you do if you feel "smothered" because that other person is so dependent of you and you feel like you can't be your own person?? Boy do I hate dependency... I can only handle it for so long.

·
Registered
4 Posts
"first off, let me begin by saying that i may not be an INXP- it's very possible that i'm an EXTP that's under stress. but in the case that i am not...

i know it sounds absolutely terrible, but i find that i get bored of friends in the following situations:

1) i find that the other party has become far too dependent on me.

2) i find that the other person has nothing to teach me and the conversation is one-sided (with me usually teaching them/advising them).

3) i find that they've "stolen" my personality and is mimicking me in behavior and humor

basically, i hate imbalance and it irritates me to no end when i find that a friendship has become this way. it is enough for me to end the friendship. i wish i didnt feel like this, but i find that by staying in the friendship, the other person can easily sense that i'm forcing myself to hang out with them (i hear that i'm easy to read) and becomes irritated. then i get even more irritated when i sense their irritation in response to my irritation. i dont want to ignore them because that seems cowardly but at the same time when i tell them what i think about them, they get really pissed and that causes trouble for me later on. i've tried distancing myself before but as it is, it seems that the people who embody the situations above are really sensitive and can immediately tell what i'm doing.

...so yeah. does this happen to you guys as well? and if so, how do you deal with it? "

I'm with you *entirely* on this. I thought it was only me! In fact, I've experienced something of the same phenomenon with entire internet forums. :shocked:

Kind retgards,
Julie

·
Banned
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm with you *entirely* on this. I thought it was only me! In fact, I've experienced something of the same phenomenon with entire internet forums. :shocked:

Kind retgards,
Julie
haha thanks! seeing that you're rather new here, next time when you want to quote something, click on the purple "quote" button at the bottom left of a post or, type this in at the beginning of a quote: [.quote.] (without the periods), and this at the end of a quote: [./quote.] (without the periods again) so the format would be like this:

[.quote.]

(whatever you want to quote)

[./quote.]

·
Registered
758 Posts
Your list is something I get irritated by, as well. I understand why anyone would be dependent yet I strongly value independence too, but in any of the extremes, it does make me uncomfortable. A more or less balance of both will have a mutual friendship. I wouldn't end that friendship unless it's beginning to have detrimental effects or if there's no resolve. I might care toward them depending on who they are and wouldn't cut ties completely, but I will certainly want a huge break.

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
Yes I would but I would talk about things for a while to explain things, we are talking months or years here. I would not just stop seeing a friend because I was bored. A gradual mix of truths and reasons for why things ain't like they used to be I feel is ok, up to them if they don't listen though. I value the time spent and see no need for guilt trips either way, "its good while it lasted" kind of thing. Time to move on!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I absolutely hate if that happens! I work with and ENTJ and I am constantly playing psychiatrist with him. Helping him feel like he isn't "crazy"... Anyway, he is constantly stealing my humor and insights and using them when we are around women. It's bothersome because he already has better interpersonal skills and tells women what they want to hear. I feel like he is taking away my soul! All I have is my personality so if he takes that and adds it to what he already has, I'm left with nothing:dry:

·
Banned
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I absolutely hate if that happens! I work with and ENTJ and I am constantly playing psychiatrist with him. Helping him feel like he isn't "crazy"... Anyway, he is constantly stealing my humor and insights and using them when we are around women. It's bothersome because he already has better interpersonal skills and tells women what they want to hear. I feel like he is taking away my soul! All I have is my personality so if he takes that and adds it to what he already has, I'm left with nothing:dry:
the last ENTJ i was friends with did the same thing- he stole my style of humor and comebacks. however, luckily for me, good thing he wasnt bright enough to come up with better things. all he could do was copy my phrases. bah that asshat.

if your friend is like the ENTJ who i used to know, he probably has no personality. i doubt he can take your personality- at most he can mimic you but in the end, mimicking behavior can only go so far. the real thing is still the real thing!!

btw why do you bother playing psychiatrist with him? it sounds like you dont like doing that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's good to know I'm not the only one:happy:

why do you bother playing psychiatrist with him? it sounds like you dont like doing that.
Sometimes I truly feel bad for him. He has a lot of issues that are similar to things I struggle with and I think by helping him work things out, I'm also helping myself. In a way, he's my guinea pig. I tell him what I think will help, he tries it, and I get to see how it works out:laughing:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts