Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been taking many tests on MBTI types, but I always get typed differently, which confuses me... sometimes I get typed as an INFJ, others as an INFP, ISFJ or ISFP and I just can't figure out which is correct and which is not. I've pinpointed N as maybe more probable than S, studying various sites and confronting them to my view of the world, but still I can't get a grip on whether the last letter is a J or a P...

Here are some tips:
- I dislike having to make a fast decision, I prefer to view all of the possibilities in the equation before deciding which is best for me, based on my feelings and how much that decision corresponds to my mental image of myself.
(i) When I make a decision, though, I don't want it to be changed and I'd not be very flexible in case it was. (Example: I decide I want to do *that thing* tonight, but it turns out I can't. I get frustrated and annoyed at the thing/person who's changing my plans and I'll probably be brooding for a long time.)

- I want to be a people-pleaser: I prefer to let things go because I don't want to make a fuss on them.
(i) If my believes are questioned, though, I'll stand up for myself and my values. Even though I feel like dissociating with myself in those circumstances. (Example: once I got angry at the Deputy Head of my school, getting unusually loud at something she did which I thought was utterly wrong; part of myself was analyzing the situation, though, trying to evaluate in a logical way the quarrel I was having with the other person, to view if I was being unfair or exaggerated.)

- If I'm upset, I'll most likely pace restlessly about the room or indulge in physical pleasures. (Example: I eat more than I should, or I eat very quickly, I may eat chocolate and other things which make me feel better even though I shouldn't. Mostly I smoke: the time during the day I smoke with certainty is the morning, for I indulge in such an activity before school, which I consider very stressful. Sometimes I risk being late because the time for cigarettes is short.)
(i) However, I get unusually snappish too. (Example: I tend to forgive others' rudeness, or behaviours I see as rude. If I'm really upset, though, I won't tolerate them and I'll answer them in kind, whether they're talking to me or not.)
(ii) I also want to be left alone.

- I have a hard time acknowledging my feelings, but I want to analyze my actions and responses to better understand myself.

- I won't usually initiate conversation with others, but I like to study them beforehand to get a glimpse of what they're like, basing my deductions on the way they're behaving (talking to others or moving, facial expressions and things.)

- I work better on deadlines and I like to structure my work. (Example: if I have 50 pages to study and 5 days to do so, I'll organize myself to study 10 pages per day. I may procrastinate a little, but if, say, one day I studied only 6 pages, I'd catch up the next day studying 14 pages instead.)

Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Are you emotionally reactive or do you react internally and then have your emotions come out in short spurts making it seem irrational? This is of course in response to negative stimuli

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It depends. "Get a grip on your brooding," that's what my family usually said when I was younger. But, maybe the latter: there are times in which I recall a thing which I wasn't happy about and I react bad, which isn't ideal, what with people not understanding where you're coming from and looking puzzled at you.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hmm, I think I'm getting Ni-Fe rather than dom-Fi from your post, but I'm not sure. I found the scenario questions in the Type Me stickies to be helpful in figuring out cognitive functions.
For example, these two questions helped me figure out I used Fi over Fe:
"Your significant other just ended your 2 year relationship quite suddenly and with no apparent explanation. Up until this point you had both been talking about marriage and last week you even went to look at rings together. Now he/she won't even return your phone calls or texts. After talking with his/her family you find out that he/she has just been diagnosed with terminal stage 4 cancer.
- Describe how this scenario would make you feel as well as what sort of influences and motivations lie behind those feelings. Why do you feel the way you do?
- In this scenario what would you honestly say the primary focus of your feelings would be?"

And also:
"You are in college and this semester both you and your roommate end up in the same class together. You and your roommate get along fairly well and the living situation works but you aren't particularly close. You both typically do your own thing and are rather indifferent to each other. As the semester progresses you excel and become one of the top students in the class whereas your roommate is struggling significantly to grasp the material. The professor assigns a fairly challenging take home test that is a significant portion of your grade. He/she makes it clear that while it is open book, students are to work alone. Later your roommate comes to you begging for help after struggling with the test most of the weekend. You have already completed the assignment and he/she isn't asking to copy your answers, just to help tutor and mentor them as they struggle to complete the test, so there is no way your professor would ever know. However, this is the first time your room-mate has asked you for help this semester. He/she makes it clear that how they do on this test could mean the difference between passing and failing this class.
- How do you respond to your roommate’s request and why?
- What sort of things in this scenario stand out to you as far as having a strong influence on your decision making and why?
- Describe the flow of your decision making process."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts