Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i was wondering if others accidentally or almost hurt themselves by lack of attention to a task.

i sometimes find myself getting hurt or almost hurt. For me the kitchen is a common place to have this happen. quite often i forget to put a oven mit on but thankfully i realize in time from the heat coming from the oven that my hand is not protected. I think to pass the time with the dishes and am really careful when i put knives in but often forget i have been cut a couple times (not bad) and on may occasions got lucky that i didn't get cut. i know it happens outside the kitchen but i don't remember anything for now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I almost bumped into a post once, a friend bothered to wave his hands in front of my face just in time...
My most notorious fall was on a school trip, I made a half ballerina swirl(it was unintentional, my leg got stuck)before I fell in front of an audience...at least it was a soft landing, I had many layers on cause it was so cold...
Someone I dated told me I need a padded room...

I can go on and on...sometimes I get hurt, most of the time, things just get broken...I always don't pay any attention to what I'm doing before something like that happens...always thinking hard about something else...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I walk up lots of stairs on a daily basis...paired with having big feet and walking up stairs that have a small surface area...its hard to understand if you don't have big feet but I find myself nearly falling or slipping a lot on the stairs when I am lost in thought.

embarrassing one though, walking in high school hallways was thinking and talking, door swung open...BAM face right into door, could of been out of a movie. Best part, I was a freshmen walking with a popular pretty junior girl too thought I was cool and shit then smack, brought back down to earth, hard with a door nob in the groin and a face into the door. Good times.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
I don't have many accidents due to being lost in thought, but I sometimes do misplace items on the kitchen. I have this habit of putting the cereal box in the fridge and the milk on the cupboard because I'm thinking of all the stuff I have to do. Or sometimes putting salt into my coffee instead of the sugar because I failed to read the labels.

Reactions: Gildar

·
Registered
801 Posts
Oh boy...just last night I was so interested in the thought of blueberry ice cream I had to ask my son if I had just took a pain pill because I couldn't remember. Mostly however, these types of moments occur when I'm driving...next thing I know, I'm a couple blocks from my destination (what happened between the origin and destination?), miss a turn, or have to shake myself into concentrating on the car in front of me.

Reactions: Gildar and Alaya

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
Oh boy...just last night I was so interested in the thought of blueberry ice cream I had to ask my son if I had just took a pain pill because I couldn't remember. Mostly however, these types of moments occur when I'm driving...next thing I know, I'm a couple blocks from my destination (what happened between the origin and destination?), miss a turn, or have to shake myself into concentrating on the car in front of me.
Or worse yet, when you arrive at your destination without knowing how you got there because you were so engrossed in thought.

***INFJ's should NOT drive a motor vehicle*:laughing:***

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
The worst I had was...

One day I was lost in thought while mechanically doing the dishes. I reached into the dishwasher to get out the remaining clean spoons and I stabbed my hand into the edge of a dull knife.

At school we have a metal pole in the middle of the double doors. I was walking with a friend deep in thought and I ran face first into it.

When I was in kindergarten I was deep in thought and tripped down a flight of slippery wood stairs outside.

I was karate kicking the air next to my friends head while deep in thought. I hit my knee on the chair instead.

On Halloween I was trick or treating and I was deep in thought. I tripped down a curb walking and cut my knee open.

The list goes on and on and on. You get the picture :laughing:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i remember somethings.

apparently in grade one. i was walking to school(it was really close about 2-3 minutes) and in a daydream was was almost ran over by a car. i say apparently because i was oblivious to the entire thing..... come home and my mother gave me the look both ways speech when i already knew it..... i did look both ways.... i just didn't register the car...... the guy said something like this "i almost ran over your son while he was daydreaming" to my mother(i don't know he did or who he was).

Sometimes i get so lost if there isn't anyone in front of me i might forget that those are traffic light stops not stop signs stops.. i remember once i walked across one that led into an alley and when i realized half way across i remembered there was police officer nearby. i looked at to see if i was supposed to walk at the time and the sun made it unable to tell and the officer did nothing. i was relieved i did not need a jay walking ticket from daydreaming... it's not like this happens alot but it does time to time but i usually catch myself. i prefer walking behind people since most people more pay attention.

friend and family seem to save me alot.... putting their hand in front of me to stop me and/or saying "wait" or "stop". it has gotten to the point of them just making sure....... for my own sake i need to get out of my head sometimes.....

i have concluded that i need to be able to drive but should avoid driving as much as i can. i know i will be a bad driver even if i intend to do everything perfectly....

i sprain my ankle sometimes or almost by just walking on uneven surfaces by not paying attention.

this makes me look like a walking accident.....this whole thing makes it seem worse then it is. i do have more of these events then most people but it is not like it happens every time i got out.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Man yes. And I worked at FedEx for years. Driving 6000 pound cast iron tugs around. Towing several tens of thousands of pounds of freight around. Pushing 19,000 pound cans off a plane. Working a loader that could crush a full grown person into jelly were they standing in the right place. I had a couple major accidents/almost accidents and a ton of close calls that come to mind.

One time I almost died. I was standing in between two dollies putting engaging the locks so the big can of freight wouldn't slide off and the person driving decided it was time to go. So he slammed on the gas and I pirouetted out from in between the dollies as they were speedily driving away. I got a hug out of it ;) and I survived unscathed. So it was a win overall, I'd say.

Another time I almost cut a guys finger off. We were putting the doorsill guards down on an MD-11. He put his down and had his hand sitting on the sill. Then I put mine down... right onto his hand. These things aren't light. Luckily he had gloves on otherwise it could have cut his fingers clean off. I felt so bad. He was out for a few days afterwards while it healed up. I was such an idiot when I was younger.

I think working in that environment is one of the things that helped me develop a lot of my outside awareness. I don't make mistakes like that anymore though. I pay close attention to everything I do because I don't want to do something that I can't take back.

On a side note. Are other types clumsy also? Is it something INFJs are known for? I met a woman named Nasim once was pretty clumsy. Or at least so she said. She was awesome, but at the time I still thought I was just strange and not an INFJ. I used to assume people were completely different from me, so I never bothered to go after woman I was interested in. Wish I had gotten to know her better, she was good looking and clumsy (cute clumsy not dangerous clumsy). :p

·
Registered
30 Posts
Or worse yet, when you arrive at your destination without knowing how you got there because you were so engrossed in thought.

***INFJ's should NOT drive a motor vehicle*:laughing:***
The worst I had was...

One day I was lost in thought while mechanically doing the dishes. I reached into the dishwasher to get out the remaining clean spoons and I stabbed my hand into the edge of a dull knife.

.....The list goes on and on and on. You get the picture :laughing:
yes, i've done both of these. still have a rather purple scar on my hand from the dishwasher one.

i take a lot of walks with my husband. he habitually interrupts our conversation with comments like "look out for that stop sign. there's a pothole. whoops, a branch. look at for that car mirror." i never admit to him on the times when i don't actually notice the inanimate objects, lol.:crazy:

·
Registered
191 Posts
yes. once i was thinking about somebody while cutting an orange and then my knife slipped and hurt my finger. fortunately it just bled a little.
once i was crossing the road at night, with my ipod turned up. i didnt know the light had gone red...when i started crossing it it was still green and not blinking...i didnt realize until a car honked.
sometimes my mom makes fun of me and says im autistic and tells me to be more alert.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I've had near-misses with walking into poles throughout my life. Thinking is the most fun while I'm walking, so often it's a case of being so distracted by my thoughts/involved fantasy sequence/observations of further away stuff that I don't see what's immediately around me until that split-second before contact with pole. I'm always impressed how my survival brain saves me without my conscious involvement :tongue:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Huh! I started a similar thread on this subject in the INTP area. I even used this as an example...

I have this habit of putting the cereal box in the fridge and the milk on the cupboard because I'm thinking of all the stuff I have to do. Or sometimes putting salt into my coffee instead of the sugar because I failed to read the labels.
At least I'm not alone! :laughing:

·
Registered
474 Posts
I am constantly walking into things. I walk into counter tops a lot, and chairs, and once I walked into a parked car.

There is a chair that sits in the hallway right outside my bedroom, and it's been there for 3 years now, but I have still walked straight into it a few times because I just wasn't with it.

I think part of it is being lost in thought, and part of it is because I had a lot of ear and sinus problems as a child, which has left me with a complate lack of balance and grace. I am the only person I know that can lose their balance and fall over just by standing in the one spot. No movement required of any sort, I'll just suddenly overbalance and start to fall. Never fails to amuse those I'm with though, so it's good for that!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I swear the lamp-posts are out to get me >_>

Like, seriously. They just can't seem to stay away from my forehead enough :tongue:

Probably doesn't help that I'll be deep in thought about one thing or another on my travels, 'cause walking can be one of the best times to lose yourself in your mind. Hell, I've had many an epiphany out walking :cool:

I also tend to daydream a hell of a lot, too. The other day, my school bus pulled up at my stop and I was like "La la la.... daydream daydream.... abstract conepts.... oh s**t this is my stop! *sprints off bus*"

Can't help it that my imagination is so very vivid :crazy:

Reactions: Dalien and Gildar

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
Oh, yeah, don't forget the doorways, wallls (yes, I have walked straight into a wall before!), and anything else that doesn't move! Many scrapes, bumps and bruises! Years ago, family and friends use to call me Grace for a reason! Before Grace, I was called Sunshine! Go figure. Now, I'm called Dalien...friends and family really do call me Dalien. I do much better now. Now days, it is more like...oh, hell, where am I going...as I fly right on by! I still do the walk into things, just not as much as I use to or as hard; eventhough, my imagination is still as vivid!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I used to have this problem until I fell and cracked three ribs. Since then I have been much more careful about where I am going. I also bought a GPS because I often missed turns whil driving. This helps me get to where I'm going withour gettin lost along the way.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
I walked into a letterbox. Not actually inside it, though :laughing: But I got a nasty bump on my forehead.
Also walked into several bushes and walls, so a few bruises there. Tripped over things a lot.

I get a lot of minor injuries, but very few bad ones :happy:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My brother was washing the dishes. He saw a cracked cup and thought he should leave a note making sure people where careful to not wash it and get hurt. He decided that the chances were really low and decided to not do it. a little while in he forgot and dunked the cup in the water to soak for a minute. He took it out and started to wash it only to get his index and middle finger cut and needing stitches.

I got a nasty bump on my forehead.:
I notice your avatar has a bandage on his forehead lol

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I should be dead at least a thousand times over for things like this happening ... absentmindedly cruising through stop signs at 4-way intersections, etc.

Somehow I haven't gotten into a wreck yet, probably thanks to God or some extremely overworked guardian angel.

I hate having to rely on car-travel for this very reason, and wish I permanently lived in an area with a decent transit infrastructure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts