Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you think about people influencing your innate personality type so that it is actually covered up? Here's my issue, and maybe this is something that many people have faced with others influencing them. For example, people struggling with knowing if they are an introvert or an extrovert because society pushes extroverted behavior onto them but they like to have time to reflect and recharge...but can't! So over 6 years I have changed from an INFJ to an INFP and back to an INFJ this year. My initial test was in college in 2004 an the results were INFJ. Later on in 2005 my results were INFP. But I'm wondering if it's because I went through a lot of life experience and believed that I should change my thought process and open to ideas etc. (Which is healthy.)

The following article is much of an interest of mine that basically started this whole thread...

Can Your Myers-Briggs Type Change?/Neuroplasticity: The Adaptable Brain | AnnHolm.net

So here are some examples from my life about my behavior and the way that I think..

That my first impression of a person may not be correct (I learned this and regretted typing a person right off the bat once I got to know them).
My habits of organization concerning my room is fairly organized I guess. I make sure I kept all my receipts...I sort them etc. There is a filing system in my room and I keep a 4 month calendar. When I was younger (say around 8 years) I had my life planned out when I was going to move out of my parents house and what age I'd be when I was going to get married. Before I went to college I had gone to their open house 4 times!!

I do enjoy being spontaneous once an a while but most of the time I already have plans!!! So there is no room to be spontaneous. If I'm hanging out with people and something doesn't work out, I'm open to doing something else. Ie/ movie theater ran out of tickets...so lets go play some pool.

Ok now I'm going to try to learn something. If I'm off, please help me. I'm trying to understand this as people are saying that the J and P aren't really the deciding factors but it is Cognition? Anyways, I really want to learn more about what this is etc...but before I educate myself and ruin the results...I like to think the less I know about a subject the less I'm able to manipulate the output...

Here are my results from Keys 2 Cognition:

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ********** (10.3)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si) ****************************** (30.6)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ****************************** (30.6)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************************************* (45.7)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************************* (33.7)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************* (13.3)
unused
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************************* (37.6)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************** (38.6)
excellent use

INFJ
Dominant- Ni- 45.7
Auxiliary- Fe- 37.6
Teriary (less developed) Ti- 13.3 (unused)
Inferior(less developed Se-10.3 (unused)

The results said:
"If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFJ, or INTJ. If these results are different from what you know of yourself, you might consider why your developmental pattern does not align with your expectation. You might also consider exploring this result as a possible better fit."

INFP wasn't even something that they suggested...I know that there are people who have been on this site for quite a while and can probably lend me some insight into this little dilemma of mine... Groans. I'm wondering if Shadow functions have a play in this as I'm a social anxiety sufferer and Shadow functions "not naturally inclined but which can emerge when the person is under stress."

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
My type changing aren't cover ups. Their a tool to understand people.

Well I make them a tool to understand people. Get the best out your problems eh?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not really calling it a cover up to other people. But the fact that I have become so brainwashed with other peoples ideas of who I should be and how I should behave has made me blind to who I really am. It sucks when you don't know who you are.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I assume INFP wasn't a possibility for you on this test because the perceiving types end up having a different order of cognitve functions. An INFJ typically has Ni>Fe>Ti>Se. An INFP typically has Fi>Ne>Si>Te. Apparently your Ni dominated over the other functions in this test. An ENFJ would be a logical choice because ENFJ is Fe>Ni>Se>Ti. Also, you do have a lot of Te and Fi (and an INTJ hasd Ni>Te>Fi>Se). This would make INTJ a logical choice. Both of these options put Ni high up on the list of the functions (and that's clearly your highest function from the results of the test), so it's clear why the test didn't give you INFP.

But your results do show good use/excellent use of Fi, Ne, and Si and Te which could indicate you act like an INFP.

Maybe you are just well developed with respect to your functions? I could see why society would expect you to develop some functions like Si I guess.

Also, I think I had read that the Keys 2 Cognition Test can be biased when it comes to Se (and maybe Ti as well). I'm not sure if this is the case though.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Get past the J/P stereotypes. Continue to look into the actual functions.
This site is decent: Understanding the Eight Jungian Cognitive Processes / Eight Functions Attitudes
I also suggest reading Jung's Psychological Types.

I personally feel that cognitive functions are pretty innate, but behavior can certainly be adapted and adopted. This is why relying on behavioral stereotypes for determining your MBTI type can be misleading and confusing. Behaviors are merely clues at best. Try and think about your actual thought process and how it relates to the descriptions of the functions.

·
MOTM Aug 2010
1,412 Posts
I'd say that my circumstances can make me "act" like a different type (so I don't always fit the typical ISTP type description), but the way I think and process information (cognitive function use) doesn't change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts