Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a type 1 thing but I wonder if 7's are aware of their inner critics as 1 is disintegration line.

Personally, I dont think I have experienced that. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Uh, I do, and I definitely know it came from the wing. When faced with a setback and something goes wrong with my plan(s), there's a lot of "I should've done ___ (sooner)" or "I should've waited until ____". If other people are involved in the derailment of my plans (and I'm able to control myself to not blow up at them), there's a lot of poker-face acceptance of others. The frustration is because I needed something, and I was under the impression that by executing this plan, I would get what I need. And I didn't. Something went wrong. And now the inner-critic is telling me that I'm too inept to even be able to see straight.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I do, but I have a very strong 1 fix, and I've been told that Social subtypes are more self critical? Or maybe I'm mistaking self critical for self sacrificial. After a while it all kind of blends together, doesn't it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
First and for most disintegration and integration is now only neutral lines of connection. As in as a 7 you will equally have a little good and bad of both 5 & 1.

I'm a 7sp the sp makes us associate more with the 5 line more often as oppose to the 1.

As a 741sp/sx/w8 I don't sense this inner critic either. When I'm not keeping in contact with my family because I have not yet accomplished what I say I would do counts as an inner critic somewhere or just misplace pridefulness I'm not exactly sure. This is interesting because I don't care about any of their cherished beliefs.

From a physiological standpoint I find myself making robotic and exact hand gestures, freezing up like a plank when I'm pissed off, and telling people how to go about helping me the right way if they've struck a nerve. I think this is all my gut 1 fix coming into play.

I was pissed off that my grandpa 136sx asked me "you don't download illegally do you!?" that is his overbearing moral conviction. I don't really have this moral compass where my grandpa does just like Walt Disney and his father respectively. This could be a feature from the fullest version of the inner critic.

Whenever I get box into an inferior position by someone helping me I do have to "reconfirm"(btw 8s fixers have to stick their face out and wait to be regain respect once it is lost) as if hopping I didn't not hear what just heard. My grandpa "reconfirms" alot when I do or say something disapproving, again he is SX. This could be a partial inner critic working interchangeably the with 7s inferiority complex

To conclude It may be possible that only people with 1 as the main fix actually have access to the fullest version of the inner critic.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I definitely have this. As a sx/sp 7w6 when I become unhealthy I become extremely critical of everything around me and dissatisfied with it because I could always imagine how much better it could be
but, I meant becoming self-critical. I became very non-tolerating of stuff around me, too. I just dont direct it towards myself.

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
I think everyone has access to an inner critic, but few types identify with it so strongly as 1s do. Another thing is that the inner critic criticizes different things depending on what type you are. A 6 may have a critic telling them how fearful or cowardly they are, an 8 how weak they are etc.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Yeah I definitely have this. As a sx/sp 7w6 when I become unhealthy I become extremely critical of everything around me and dissatisfied with it because I could always imagine how much better it could be
I can relate to this!

I have an incredibly strong inner-critic (of both my environment, and myself), but I have a really strong 1-fix, and was raised by a Type 1w9 father (so I think that also played some role, because it's usually his stupid rules I'm thinking about - - not my own).

I'd say most of the criticisms are directed towards myself.

Reactions: Mr inappropriate

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think everyone has access to an inner critic, but few types identify with it so strongly as 1s do. Another thing is that the inner critic criticizes different things depending on what type you are. A 6 may have a critic telling them how fearful or cowardly they are, an 8 how weak they are etc.
Oh but the inner self-critic is part of that too. "How can I make myself better so I can appreciate life more"
ah, now it makes sense. I thought it as one of the core fears of type but I can remember thinking about how little I've done in my life, becoming too stagnant, one dimensional and routine, and then getting upset with that. It correlates to 7's fear of missing out, I guess. But, it is more about things one hasnt done yet rather than things he has done.

·
Registered
37 Posts
ah, now it makes sense. I thought it as one of the core fears of type but I can remember thinking about how little I've done in my life, becoming too stagnant, one dimensional and routine, and then getting upset with that. It correlates to 7's fear of missing out, I guess. But, it is more about things one hasnt done yet rather than things he has done.
I would say that OCD is the extreme from of self-hate for the enneagram 1

And check this S**T out I think it's an 847sx/so DID with more 8 personalities than all others. It even seems like SX has its own personality as well. Her/his subcommunication is on point in comparison to pick up instructors. The inner critic one literally measures authenticity!

·
MOTM Jan 2015
10,473 Posts
I have one, but she's mostly looking out for me. An inner lawyer. Making sure I don't end up in jail, a psych ward, the hospital, fired, sued, etc - because I fear that any of those things could happen to me if I'm not careful. I'm not a stranger to throwing caution to the wind.

I always want to feel like my future is as expansive as possible. I don't want to limit myself. I think this is probably why I can spread myself thin, always moving on to the next thing. Like my solution is that if I can keep my name a mystery or something fresh I can stay one step ahead of trouble.

I'm trying to face some of these fears head on though lately. Just have faith and trust myself a little more. See it all as an adventure. I've read that sevens have to learn to trust the process of life, and that makes a lot of sense to me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I always want to feel like my future is as expansive as possible. I don't want to limit myself. I think this is probably why I can spread myself thin, always moving on to the next thing. Like my solution is that if I can keep my name a mystery or something fresh I can stay one step ahead of trouble.
I'm striving to escape the same bubble of inflational thinking. I feel like I would have to accept upsetting starting points; such as homelessness in NYC, living in the rural area ( I would rather die), or somewhere where I won't be able to talk to multiple women in a short time period. I guess what I'm seeing is a dilemma which forces me to make multiple recovery plans involving internet marketing in-order reconnect with my ultimate plan for the future of moving to Las Vegas where I can hoan my pick up skills.

Even though there is probability the most emphasis on optionally when comes to unhealthy sevens the healthier seem to tend to make short-term and open-ended projects at the very least even if it is not years long-term. Some do a few different things and see many patterns in-between and/or take on different skill sets. Like graduating from passive variation to active variation through sacrificing instant gratification for grounded clarity.

"At no point does anyone in the chain know what to do with money in the real economy. But in an indefinite world, people actually prefer unlimited optionality; money is more valuable than anything you could possibly do with it. Only in a definite future is money a means to an end, not the end itself."

Thiel, Peter; Masters, Blake (2014-09-16). Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future (p. 71). Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

Split forum: http://personalitycafe.com/type-7-forum-enthusiast/579338-7s-dilemma-optionally.html#post18527882

·
MOTM Jan 2015
10,473 Posts
I'm striving to escape the same bubble of inflational thinking. I feel like I would have to accept upsetting starting points; such as homelessness in NYC, living in the rural area ( I would rather die), or somewhere where I won't be able to talk to multiple women in a short time period.
Yea, I got stuck living in a rural area for a couple years. I literally lost my mind XD I was like a caged animal. Couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, just paced all the time. I'm glad that I made all the decisions that I did leading up to that though. I have a trade I can fall back on now if I need to (so yea, I've done the acquire different skill sets thing too). I'm trying to get back into the corporate world, and I don't feel as suffocated trying to present or uphold that accompanying image that's usually expected anymore. Feels like a safer gamble, and hopefully I'll be better able to commit to projecting myself in one place. I still try to keep a lot of what I do confined to the...underground? though. Whenever possible, lol.

I do feel like I have a more grounded sense of clarity now. I feel like I've been growing to 5 a lot in the past couple years. I try to keep the seven mentality in tact though, because too much of that and I'll start thinking - Dear God, what the hell have I been doing throughout my life? Then I convince myself that I'm a lunatic and want to fall off of the earth unless I can get into something for me and replace that doubt with positive self assured energy to push forward anyway.

·
MOTM Jan 2015
10,473 Posts
I also spent too much of that time just splashing myself all over the internet. It was my window to the outside world and where I threw my parties. Now there's an inner critic who's afraid it's going to come back to bite me somehow but eh. It kept me basically optimistic and forward moving when I needed that.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would say that OCD is the extreme from of self-hate for the enneagram 1

And check this S**T out I think it's an 847sx/so DID with more 8 personalities than all others. It even seems like SX has its own personality as well. Her/his subcommunication is on point in comparison to pick up instructors. The inner critic one literally measures authenticity!

Well, thanks for the scary videos :moody::torn:

and @Veggie is making me crave eggs in the middle of the night here :subdued::disturbed:

I think there should be more clear distions between self-blaming and inner-critic in enneagram. Or maybe not. Still, I very rarely find fault with myself or dwell on those thoughts. The most recent example was "lol, what was I thinking while typing at 5 :p" which only lasted for like 2 seconds.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts

Can they switch on demand just like that though??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts