Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to write my own "test" to give to family members to help them determine their types. I want to make sure that I understand the funtions correctly in the following scenarios...

Question one, dealing with how we take in information:

You are taking an easy hike through a national forest. At any given moment, you are most likely to be (rank the following from 1-4, most likely to least likely)...

A. in the moment, taking in all the sights, sounds, and other sensations surrounding you as a whole. You feela rush of adrenaline as all these sensations wash over you.

B. noticing little details, likea crushed flower at the edge of the trail. You may get an image of somebody walking along and stepping on this flower at some point in the past. You start watching your own step more closely.

C. imagining your surroundings as something different: the trees are giants, the flowers are fairies, a waterfall becomes the enchanted Fountain of Youth. The possibilities are endless!

D. contemplating hidden meanings in the nature surrounding you. A rock becomes a symbol of steadfastness and endurance. The trail you are on represents the trail of Life. etc. etc.

Question 2, dealing with how we make decisions:

You are in the market to buy a home. Disregarding the financial aspect, your first priority in selecting the perfect home is (rank 1-4)...

A. You want a house with an efficient layout, with lots of well-defined spaces to compartmentalize and organize.

B. You want a house that offers plenty of potential, that you can easily conform to fit your own pre-defined notions of what a house should be.

C. You want a house with "character" and senimentality, that will invoke feelings of comfort and warmth for all who enter.

D. You want a home that just...feels right.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Question #1: C B D A

Question #2: B A C D

I wasn't too sure about question #2. Also, some of the specifics in the answers might throw people off.

Reactions: vocalist

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
1. DCBA

2. CDBA

I think that makes me INFJ according to your quiz?

I don't think they are great questions, or to put it another way, I think that defining cognitive types trying to use a single example is likely to have a high miss rate.

·
Registered
815 Posts
My answers:

1. A - B - D - C
2. B - D - A - C

I'm not so sure that these questions and their answer possibilities are very good to be honest. Why don't you simply have your family members take a short quiz online or perhaps you could print one out? Designing these types of tests is more complicated than one might assume.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yeah, decent effort, but it might be a bit too specific for a lot of people ... no written test is going to be perfect ... that said, I made a quick test based on cognitive functions a while ago:

Quick MBTI Test

·
Registered
309 Posts
1. BACD
2. DBCA

With regards to question one, my answers may appear a little odd considering that I am an INFP and D was my third choice (what I believe to be the indicator of Ne?). In all honesty, when I walk in a national forest I am most likely to observe something in or about the forest that will get me started on a wild train of thought that will more likely than not end up unrelated to the forest.

I think your answer possibilities might be a bit too rigid, especially for the first question. I personally liked the second question somewhat, but that is probably just because my answers there were more consistent with what would be expected of my type.

·
Registered
402 Posts
1. /D/.....C......B..A
2. None of these.. I don't like to think of that.
I like your ideas and I do similar to help determine types of people. All though, it may be best to just have them answer themselves rather than multiple choices.. but it would vary by person. You could also test their reactions to things, maybe show an image and see what their thoughts are on it.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
With regards to question one, my answers may appear a little odd considering that I am an INFP and D was my third choice (what I believe to be the indicator of Ne?). In all honesty, when I walk in a national forest I am most likely to observe something in or about the forest that will get me started on a wild train of thought that will more likely than not end up unrelated to the forest.
Maybe I'm just weird, but my mind will typically be off on weird tangents unless it's actually occupied by something productive.
I saw some birds flying in the sky yesterday and I immediately started to imagine that they were winged dinosaurs and that I was in a random prehistoric setting.

But I could probably think of a better answer for Ne that really encapsulates the attitude/outlook because that answer doesn't fully define it at all.
I think Ne primarily views things as a part of something greater along with viewing the unknown as holding many possibilities. I don't think it's really as whimsical and spazzy as some people represent it.

Reactions: vocalist

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
1. B-A-D-C
2. D-A-C-B (It was hard to place C because I believe that a house that "feels right" also have the character that I want)

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The home question is interesting, but mainly in the reasons it can go wrong. I have recently had a big chunk of my home rebuilt, and sure enough designed it very much along Ti lines, functional, would work beautifully, be easy to clean, etc etc etc. And then when it was done I was very sad because it lacked the warm comfort of what we used to have, partly because it had not yet been lived in, and I realised just how important it is that one's living space is "home" not just "dwelling". So I could only answer that question in F mode. The only decider then is Fe or Fi, and I am an extrovert.....

Taking it back to scientific principles, the response to one questionnis anecdote, and this cannot be validated in any meaningful way.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, decent effort, but it might be a bit too specific for a lot of people ... no written test is going to be perfect ... that said, I made a quick test based on cognitive functions a while ago:

Quick MBTI Test
Took your test. Came out right for me, anyway :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts