Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scientists trying to explain the universe’s accelerating expansion usually point to dark energy, which seems to be pushing everything apart.

But an Indiana University professor has a new theory, reports New Scientist: We’re inside a black hole that exists in another universe. Specifically, a black hole that rebounded, somewhat like a spring.

Some fairly mind-blowing physics is involved here, but the gist is that Nikodem Poplawski of IU-Bloomington used a modified version of Einstein’s general relativity equation set that takes particle spin into account.

Including this variable makes it possible to calculate torsion, part of the geometry of space-time. It also gets rid of the black hole singularity, a phenomenon that general relativity cannot explain.

In a study published earlier this year, Poplawski said when the density of matter reaches epic proportions, torsion counters gravity. This prevents matter from compressing indefinitely to a singularity of infinite density. Instead, matter rebounds like a spring, and starts expanding again.

In Poplawski's latest study, his calculations show that space-time inside the black hole expands to about 1.4 times its smallest size in as little as 10-46 seconds -- two orders of magnitude faster, for lack of a better word, than the Planck time. This brisk bounce-back could have been what led to the expanding universe that we see today.

But here's the real kicker: as Poplawski says, we may not be living in our universe at all; we might be living inside a rebounded black hole that exists in a different universe.

We could tell by measuring the preferred direction of our universe. A spinning black hole would have imparted some spin to the space-time inside it, which would violate a law of symmetry that links space and time. This might explain why neutrinos oscillate between their antimatter and regular-matter states.
Source: Are We Living Inside a Black Hole? | Popular Science

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Yes of course we are living inside a black hole. How hard is it to comprehend that. Simple common sense is enough, you dont even need advanced physics. Sometimes these mathematicians are do deluded by their world of equations that they can not see what is obvious.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Yes of course we are living inside a black hole. How hard is it to comprehend that. Simple common sense is enough, you dont even need advanced physics. Sometimes these mathematicians are do deluded by their world of equations that they can not see what is obvious.
...er...I'm no physicist, but I don't think physics is based merely on common sense.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why would it be "common sense" for us to be inside a black hole? Using previous theories, that is. With the current information, I would agree that it would make some sense for us to be in a black hole.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
The idea certainly seems plausible. I'm not a physicist, but I'm excited to see where this school of thought goes. I'd already heard of the idea that our universe was created from a black hole in another universe, but this extension of that idea seems possible at the very least to me.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Why would it be "common sense" for us to be inside a black hole? Using previous theories, that is. With the current information, I would agree that it would make some sense for us to be in a black hole.

Thought experiment: how much escape velocity would you need to escape from the universe?

would that be < c
would that be = c
or would it be >c

Where c is the speed of light.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thought experiment: how much escape velocity would you need to escape from the universe?

would that be < c
would that be = c
or would it be >c

Where c is the speed of light.
I would assume that the answer would be (assuming that escaping from the universe is possible) > the speed of light. Though I am not sure what that has to do with the question I asked.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I would assume that the answer would be (assuming that escaping from the universe is possible) > the speed of light. Though I am not sure what that has to do with the question I asked.
That's what an event horizon is. Why a black hole can't be escaped. Even some of the farthest galaxies that can be seen right now would require > the speed of light to reach, so in essence they're outside of our event horizon. The analogy to a black hole is almost perfect, except for the whole singularity thing.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's what an event horizon is. Why a black hole can't be escaped. Even some of the farthest galaxies that can be seen right now would require > the speed of light to reach, so in essence they're outside of our event horizon. The analogy to a black hole is almost perfect, except for the whole singularity thing.
Actually, the Hawking Radiation theory states that particles are escaping from black holes all the time, and since they weigh far more than light they are unable to go the speed of light which means that you don't need to be going faster than the speed of light to escape. It's either that or these particles are moving at (or faster than) the speed of light, which means that the speed of light (or faster) is theoretically attainable.

And while I would agree that an analogy could be made, it still doesn't really mean that we are in a black hole. My shirt is green like a leaf, but that doesn't make it a leaf. In the same way, you are saying that it is impossible to escape our universe, like it is with a black hole and this means that we are in a black hole. Analogies do not prove anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts