Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched around a bit, and couldn't find a thread that was dedicated to this, so here we are.

(I've just woken up, and realise I may not be making much sense)

I'm worried that I'm pushing people away by not engaging my brain before speaking, when somebody is talking, I'll cut them off to correct them about their wording. Last night, I was talking with my SO, only to pick up on a word that she used, and without thinking I found myself explaining to her why the word that she used didn't make sense to me. This (obviously) didn't go down well. I know that if I had waiting until she had finished speaking, it wouldn't have mattered to me. I was really interested in what she was saying, and I didn't intend to kill the conversation. After this, I knew I did something stupid, and made my attempts at apologising. I definitely do this a lot to people, and it's pissing them all off meaning that I will be making a conscious effort to stop myself in future. I use the excuse of "clarity is important" too much, and I don't think I want to continue making an arse out of myself in order to achieve clarity​.

Is this a common ENTP thing? If so, how do you deal with this [as an ENTP]?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I tend to correct people alot (if you're wondering about my english, it's not that good. I'm german and i correct german people using german incorrectly or even just phrasing not to my liking).

It gets better over time.

I used to be an ass about it and i found it hard to stop myself but now i don't correct everyone. I mostly correct kids, because i think with them i can still make abit of a difference but with most adults, i just let them be imprecise, flawed and plain stupid.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just let them be imprecise, flawed and plain stupid.
I'm not calling anyone stupid, the people I correct are anything but stupid. I'm talking about situations where my interjections are inappropriate. I already know what I need to avoid doing, I'm after any advice that can help me be a better person here.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You aren't trying to prove the person wrong, you're just trying to serve the best meaning of the sentence.

It still derails the discussion.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,408 Posts
ln a conversation, l'm more concerned about exchange of ideas (granted that it's a good conversation) and the flow or harmony. l ignore incorrect word usage almost always, unless it's so wrong that l can't infer meaning or just really funny and l know the person won't mind if l mention it.

This has been a distinct difference between myself and (some) INTP's...maybe more often INTJ's.

l can be what's called ''nit picky'' about ideas that are logically inconsistent, but l usually won't troll my conversation partner about it lol.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I used to do that all the time. I don't do it anymore unless they've made a grave error and I feel it's really necessary. I feel that non-native speakers are generally appreciative of corrections so I try to help them sometimes, without getting annoying.

Well, if you're looking for advice it's simple really: just stop doing it. Ignore it. I learned that while I wouldn't mind being corrected most people hate it. They take it personally and almost never retain what I tell them. It's pointless. They don't improve, because they don't care to, and you now look like an asshole. If you can correct them you obviously knew what they meant. Just overlook it unless, obviously, it's too big of a mistake to get around.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,408 Posts
Making the choice not to do this is possibly yet another thing that makes us look like the "dumb NT's", but l will never not *eye roll* at someone who gets off from excessive pedantry in a very obvious way so if having some social graces leads people to believe that we are less than intelligent, so be it lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[Update] I've been trying really hard, and sometimes they still slip through, and I find myself apologising afterwards. I think what strikes me the most is that it must make me look less intelligent, especially when I do know what the person is talking about, yet I pretend like I don't, just so that they correct themselves.

The metaphor of "the boy who cried wolf" applies here, where I truly don't understand something, and then it's assumed that I'm being pedantic in some manner again. This look I'm trying to break out of now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts