Personality Cafe banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a bit long and I apologise for that. If you are brave enough to read this, I would be eternally grateful if you typed me.

Personal concepts

1. What is beauty? What is love?

I feel as though I am totally unqualified to answer this question! I haven't read nearly enough about aesthetics to have an opinion that makes sense. With that caveat, I suppose I'll give it a shot. If something has beauty, it moves you in some way. The emotion it elicits is not disgust; if you feel disgusted by an object then it is ugly. Something beautiful might make you feel in awe; a sunset or view from a mountain would do this for me. On the other hand, it might make you cry. Often it would be music that conjures sadness, an example being Rachmaninov's second piano concerto (second movement).
Love is something you can feel towards a person. It makes you feel complete when you are together. You care deeply about them. When you are together, or thinking about them, you might feel a kind of euphoria. This phenomenon would be most frequent towards the beginning of the relationship; after a while you might just feel mutual dependence upon the other person.

2. What are your most important values?

One of the most important things for me is to question everything. I won't accept an order until I know the reasoning behind it. I value integrity, and lack of this will mean I judge a person harshly. I also value empathy and justice. I hate things that are unfair. In fact, maybe I don't value empathy that much - I don't know how well I use it. Justice forms the basis of my political beliefs.

3. Do you have any sort of spiritual/religious beliefs, and why do you hold (or don't) those beliefs in the first place?

No. I just don't have a reason to. I've never believed in a 'higher power' because I don't see a reason to. I never really thought about it, and now I have, I don't see any logic behind belief in a god. The vast majority of humans have empathy, which is where morals come from, so religious imposition of morality is unnecessary. There is no possible value in religion or spiritualism.

4. Opinion on war and militaries? What is power to you?

I hate war. They are never wars of the people, they are wars of money. A military career is not an honorable one - it is merely following orders; orders that are not even in your interests! If you had an iota of critical thought, you wouldn't join the army. It is an abuse of power to have a military.
Power, to me, is as it is defined in the dictionary. How do you gain it? Well, currently you gain it by gaining money. Money is, essentially, power. Another way to gain power is to learn things. Knowledge is a form of power but it is not as socially influential as money. By having knowledge, though, you can influence the people with the money and in turn influence society.

Interests

5. What have you had long conversations about? What are your interests? Why?

Hmm, long conversations... well, I had one about dark matter with a postdoc; that was awesome. I'm not sure really.. my conversations tend to jump from topic to topic. I suppose I can get heated when talking about politics, and any conversation about one of my interests will last a while. I had one a while back with a cellist; I was talking about scales and practising. Generally, people don't share my interests so I don't get to talk about them much.
My interest are most things. Usually my interests manifest themselves in a binge which fizzles out for no particular reason. However, my phases tend to recur, so my interests are constant in that respect. I'm interested in physics, computers, philosophy, psychology, literature, art and music. The most prominent of my interests is physics; that's what my degree is going to be in.
Why am I interested in these things? Because they're interesting! I'm generally a curious person. I want to learn constantly. I'm usually reading a book of some kind. Physics is the most satisfying of my interests because you know that what you're learning is really objectively true. I pursue music, art and literature for a different reason. I've played the violin for almost ten years, so music is a huge part of my life. I love its capability to move you, even if you don't draw parallels to your own life. Literature is much the same, but I do feel as though I learn from it. Art is different; it doesn't tend to move me but it intrigues me. I appreciate the skill behind artwork, similarly with literature and music, but this forms the basis of my judgement of it rather than its capacity to move me in some way. I've enjoyed drawing since I could hold a pencil, so art has been part of my life longer than music, but I don't think it's as important to me (though if I lost my skill at drawing I would feel terrible).

6. Interested in health/medicine as a conversation topic? Are you focused on your body?

Not particularly. Sometimes I enjoy cooking as long as it's something new. I occasionally invent new combinations of food but it's not too important to me as long as there is variety in my diet.

7. What do you think of daily chores?

I don't do them. My room is rather untidy as a result.

8. Books or films you liked? Recently read/watched or otherwise. Examples welcome.

One of my favourite books is 'Crime and Punishment'. I read it a couple of years ago so forgive my hazy memory. What I remember most most is the conversation between Porfiry and Raskolnikov, where Raskolnikov was close to cracking. It was such a painful scene for me; I just kept thinking "don't say anything, you idiot!". Raskolnikov's struggle was hard to 'watch'. Overall, the book felt delightfully weird.
Another book I loved is 'Les Miserables'. First of all, Victor Hugo's writing is simply exquisite. It was so easy to read and at the same time so beautiful. The characters seemed so real too; the way Hugo wrote made them very easy to get to know. I wish the book was longer in fact; it drew me in very tightly.

As for films, I'm not much of a film buff but here goes. 'Taxi Driver' is one I enjoyed; the strangeness of it appealed to me. Travis was a really interesting character; his interior monologue was the best part of the film.
I also appreciated 'A Serbian Film', though I did see the abridged version. Again, it is a bizarre film and really gripping at the same time. It felt like a dream; the atmosphere was almost identical to how I feel in a dream (my dreams are always very strange).
'Gummo' is another film I would rank highly. You can probably see the theme here - I like odd films!
Aside from the bizarre, I love the humorous. 'Submarine', 'Life of Brian', 'Annie Hall', 'Hot Fuzz', 'Megamind', anything good - but most 'comedies' are completely shit.

9. What has made you cry? What has made you smile? Why?

Most recently, I cried because Rachmaninov moved me to. Other than that I cried when I thought my ex was ignoring me (we are friends and I care about him). I was wondering what I'd done, and ignoring me wasn't like him at all. Turns out he just lost his phone.
I smile at funny things like Black Books or my mum. Because they're funny.

10. Where do you feel: at one with the environment/a sense of belonging?

At one with the environment: when I'm camping or hiking.
A sense of belonging: I don't know what that feels like, particularly. I guess when my people laugh at something I say.

Evaluation & Behaviour

11. What have people seen as your weaknesses? What do you dislike about yourself?

My main weakness is laziness. It stops me from reaching my full potential, but I can't help it much. I tried being organised but it got too much for me.
I don't like how I can just use people sometimes - I feel like I don't reciprocate enough. One thing I did that I was thinking about a couple of nights ago was when a boy asked me out to the cinema. I knew he had liked me for a long time, and that I didn't feel the same way, but for some reason I said I'd like to go. Sometimes I don't know how to say 'no'. Anyway, it was awkward. A while later, at school, one of his friends asked me how it went. I didn't want him to think I felt a way I didn't so I said 'oh, I just went so I could see a film for free'. Now, that's not precisely true, but I feel terrible thinking about it. I can often be far too cold. There are numerous other examples but I don't care to elaborate.

12. What have people seen as your strengths? What do you like about yourself?

My only strengths are intelligence and sense of humour.

13. In what areas of your life would you like help?

My cuntiness.

14. Ever feel stuck in a rut? If yes, describe the causes and your reaction to it.

Yeah, recently. I just felt extremely restless and caged in. This was when I was making an effort to be organised. I felt like I couldn't be myself; I didn't have enough time to just relax.

People & Interactions

15. What qualities do you most like and dislike in other people? What types do you get along with?

A shared sense of humour is one of the most important factors in getting on with someone. Shared interests are also important - we have to have something to talk about, obviously!
Something I dislike in a person is judgementality. I value openness.

16. How do you feel about romance/sex? What qualities do you want in a partner?

Currently I am not seeking romance or sex, but it will be nice once I find someone I like. In a partner I'd want intelligence, kindness (more important than intelligence), similar values/politics, shared interests and a shared sense of humour.

17. If you were to raise a child, what would be your main concerns, what measures would you take, and why?

I don't currently plan on having a child, but if I did I would try and teach it lots of things. I would try to cultivate its curiosity. My main concern would be having a child who was not inquisitive. I dunno, I'm probably not suited to child-rearing.

18. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward and outward reaction?

It depends on what kind of beliefs the claim clashed with. If it was a moral/political belief, I would argue with them. I'd feel like I was right, and I'd feel angry if what they said was selfish. If it wasn't, then I would ask for the reasoning behind the claim and argue against it if it was illogical, and accept it if not.

19. Describe your relationship to society. How do you see people as a whole? What do you consider a prevalent social problem? Name one.

I don't see 'society' as a homogeneous lump. It's full of different people and different beliefs, so making an argument against 'society' is a fallacy. However, I don't simply accept the status quo. I challenge the current political system.
The most prevalent social problem is money. Secondarily, inheritance. The system is not meritocratic and I find that highly disagreeable.

20. How do you choose your friends and how do you behave around them?

I don't choose who my friends are; I meet someone and either I get on with them or I don't. Around my friends I simply behave like myself. Sometimes I might act more outgoing than I usually feel.

21. How do you behave around strangers?

In conversation, I try to be affable but if I disagree with them they will know it. I won't seek conversation with a stranger.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Fe valuer, Beta more likely than Alpha, I can't see any Si. You're difficult for me to type, but that might have something to do with my fast reading your answers because I don't have much time on my hands right now. I can see some Ti, you seem quite focused on having a mind of your own, and it looks like there's a need for good logical reasons in order for you to agree with ideas, certain perspectives. LSI perhaps. I may change my mind later if new info will be provided or I'll check out other posts of yours and realize my conclusion is not correct for the values you display.

* Edit: I saw you typed as IEI before, but besides that individual streak I don't see strong Ni or Fe.

Theese are posts from other thread of yours:

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speak more than words?

I suppose I tend to jump into action. I think on my feet, mostly. Well, I say that, but my day-to-day life doesn't involve nearly enough action for me to be sure.
6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

Project? All I can think of at the moment is the computing coursework I'm supposed to be finishing. I am terrible at coursework because I tend to rely on inspiration rather than planning. This is not usually a good thing because I get bugs in my program due to not thinking things through properly and being too hasty in executing my ideas.
This points mildly towards Se, although not necessarily, I imagine people of the Merry dichotomy can appear a tad more impulsive, compared to Serious people in general. :unsure:

*Edit: I agree with Word Dispenser about Ne PoLR, I haven't considered the PoLR side until she pointed it out, I saw you also tend to score medium to high on Ne. What strikes me as bizarre though is the high score on Fi, and the low score on Fe, and being an Fe valuer, the only thing that explains the Fi high score is Fi as 3rd function, which again supports Ti as 1st function. It's between LII and LSI anyway.

So it's pretty much a matter of whether you prefer Si over Se or viceversa at this point.

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
I think Alpha makes more sense. I do recognize Si in your Q, particularly when describing beauty and ugliness. I think it's probably lower Si, though. I could be wrong-- Si isn't necessarily my strong suit, either.

You seem to enjoy learning for the sake of learning, which immediately gives points to Alpha in my mind, and I can't see Ne PoLR (Which would suggest LSI).

I think you may be Fe dual-seeking, but I think Si dual-seeking is more likely.

So, LII or ILE.

And I may be wrong. :kitteh:

Check these out for funsies:

Socionics Types:

Socionics Types:

Socionics Quadras:

Socionics Quadras:

And check out my signature for more information on typing through dimensionality. That may help.

Good luck!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@JuliaL. @Word Dispenser

Thanks for your help! I'm not sure either, so I've filled in the 80Q questionnaire. I understand perfectly if you can't be bothered to read it.. I could barely be bothered to answer it! Hopefully it is useful in some respect...

Block I

General to specific, specific to general – what does it mean?

General to specific:
One value of x can give many values of f(x), e.g. f(x) = kx^n. For a certain value of f(x), you know that there are a number of values of x that can map to that value. Therefore for x1, x2,..., xn in the roots of f(x), you can say that xi is equivalent to x1 because they are both solutions to f(x)

i.e. Condensing interconnected ideas to a single principle or factor or procedure that correlates/causes them.

Specific to general:
Many values of x give a single value of f(x), e.g. f(x) = k. If f(x) = k then you know that x could be x1 to xn; they are all equally valid solutions.

Finding from a single occurence a principle that can be applied to multiple occurences; generating several related ideas from a starting idea

What does "logical" mean? What is your understanding? Do you think that it correlates with the common view?

Logic is the tool that makes sense of things. It follows the principles of cause and effect. It boils down to common sense. We have a set of axioms and we can deduce things from them. There is only one understanding of logic; everybody uses it (though to differing extents).

How do you explain fractions on the dial of the clock?

I wouldn't default to this way of explaining fractions, but I'll give it a try. One hour is one revolution; one minute-hand sweep of the clock's area. Half an hour is half a revolution; a minute-hand sweep of half the clock's area. I don't think I'm being helpful by using the word 'half', but it's difficult not to. I'm too tired to do this properly.

What is a rule? What rules do you have to follow?

I rule is an imposition. I only follow rules I agree with; I don't accept any external ones.

What is hierarchy? Do you need to follow it? Why or why not?

Hierarchy is arbitrary; I won't respect authority simply because it is authority. I need a reason to respect someone. We don't live in a meritocracy so most heirarchy does not give indication of competence.

What do you think of instructions? Do you use them? Could you write an instruction manual? If so, what type of instruction manual would you most likely write?

Instructions are useful guidelines for carrying out a procedure. They're not set in stone though; there might be a different/better way. I would find writing an instruction manual extremely tedious, so I wouldn't do it.

Please explain: "Freedom is in complying with the laws, but not in ignoring the laws"? Do you agree with the statement? Why?
No. First of all, it's a tautology. Second of all, freedom is nothing to do with laws. It is lawless. Freedom is the ability to do what you want without reprimand.

Tell us how about consistent you are.
I don't strive for consistency or inconsistency, but I suppose I'm quite capricious.

What is a "standard"? Why do people need it?

A standard is a level of attainmnent that one can attain. If you have standards, it means you are unhappy with anything less. People need them in order to have some kind of drive behind their actions, else nothing they do means anything to them. Standards act as motivation.

You need to put your home library in order. How do you feel about this activity? How will you approach this task?
I feel reluctant to do it. Everything is fine the way it is! No, I won't do it. I remember when I was younger I put stickers on my books and shelved them in order, just like a library. That didn't last long. I have too many books to sort properly now.

Block II

What is work in your opinion? Why do people go to work? Are there any parameters where you can distinguish whether you can do this work or not?

Work is activity. A job is work you do for money. People go to work to earn money. Most people don't enjoy their job but they have to do it. There isn't much choice. Work or be poor: sometimes you end up doing both, and that's the situation many are in today. If you have money you can do things like eat, live in a house, have running water, and sometimes you might be able to do something you enjoy, or maybe buy a substitute for fun like alcohol. That's basically all people have to look forward to. Work all week and drink at the weekend. A few hours of fun per week. It's horrendous. That's why I don't want a 'proper' job. I'd be a scientist or an artist or a musician or homeless before I'd work in an office (unless I could slack off there). What have you gained if you spent most of your life trapped? What has the world gained?

Is there any correlation between quality and quantity? Tell us if or how the price depends on quality?

No, I don't think there is. The most prolific writers are not necessarily the best. The most prolific scientists are not necessarily the most groundbreaking. In fact, they'll have spent their career studying minutiae. I'll revise my earlier statement and say that there may be a negative correlation. Price depends on how much you want for something and also on how much someone will pay for it. If you are proud of something you're more likely to want more for it and if it's good someone will pay for it - so I'd say price is correlated with quality. However, some things like organic food are not actually of better quality than ordinary food; the price depends on how good the market have been told it is.

How do people determine the quality of work? How do you determine such quality? How well you can determine the quality of any purchase, do you pay any attention to it?

People have a list of characteristics that an object can have; the number it has determines its quality. Of course, this list is subconscious so people feel like they judge instinctively, but there is a certain logic behind it. The list varies depending on the category of object. I'm not sure how I determine quality - I just know if I like something.

How do you feel if you didn't finish some work? Does it ever happen? What are the reasons?

I feel disappointed in myself, but I don't care too much. Yes, it happens. I prevaricate if I don't see the point in something. I feel tied down by details.

What is "interesting work" for you? Please explain in detail.

Interesting work is work such that I learn or invent something while doing it. Boring work is repetitive. Interesting work changes.

You go to the store and see something you're interested in buying; there is a price tag on it. What parameters are you going to use to understand if it's overpriced, underpriced, or priced correctly?

I don't know. I'll go with my instinct most of the time, but will walk away if my reason tells me to. Hmm, parameters... well, I'd have to know my budget. If it's near the price of the item I'll probably not go for it. In fact, I don't care if it's objectively overpriced, underpriced or not - if I want to buy it, I want to buy it.

When you work and someone tells you: "You don't do it right." What is your reaction?

If I think I'm right, I'll explain my reasoning. If I wasn't sure anyway, I'll just go along with their way.

There is a professional right next to you. You always see that you can't perform the way they do. Your feelings, thoughts and actions?

Feelings: frustration, disappointment in myself, respect for the professional, inspiration to practice.
Thoughts: "well, they're a professional, it's what they do. Don't feel too bad, just practice."
Actions: practice while I'm motivated, then nothing.

When you have to ask someone else to help you with the task, how do you feel?

Fine.

You need to build a pyramid exactly like in Egypt. Your thoughts, feelings and actions?

I don't need to build a pyramid because I don't want to. That would take years. I just won't do it. What's the reason for it? None that I can see. Do it yourself! No? Fine, I'll get someone else to arrange it for me. No way am I being burdened by this.

Block III

What is beauty? Do you change your opinion about beauty? Does your understanding correlate with the generally accepted notion? What goes beyond the generally accepted notion?

I don't know what beauty is except that I know that something is beautiful if it moves me in any way except disgust and anger. If I feel either or both of those two emotions, the object is ugly. I don't know what the accepted notion is, but I think everyone feels the same way about it.

Please describe your understanding of a beautifully dressed person. What is the core of beauty? How do you explain what is beautiful to a person who has never heard about beauty before?

I don't pay much attention to clothes so I wouldn't place much value on it and so would not be moved much, if at all. I suppose admiration would be the emotion I'd feel. As I said, a beautiful object is a moving one, such that the emotions it elicits are positive.

Is there a template of understanding what beautiful means for everyone to use? Is there such a term as "classical beauty"? If so, what is it?

I suppose "classical beauty" is traditional beauty; commonly-accepted beauty. Essentially, though, it is a subjective experience. Humans are similar to the extent that the feel the same way about many things, so it's easy to see how a standard of beauty could become widespread.

What is comfort? What is coziness? How do you create your comfort and coziness? How do others evaluate your skill in doing so? Do you agree with them?

When you are comfortable you are relaxed and happy. You don't feel the need to move or change anything. The same goes for cosiness. Warmth is often associated with both terms. I create comfort by settling in my bed and reading or browsing the web. If I'm stressed, I can't be entirely comfortable - there is recurrent niggling at the back of my mind - but I can do a good job of it. I don't think anyone cares about how comfortable I am, but they seem to think that my room is messy. I'm perfectly comfortable with it how it is.

How do you pick your own clothes? Do you follow fashion? Why? Do you know how to select clothes for different types of figures?

I just pick something I like. Currently I like bright colours and psychedelic patterns. I've never followed fashion. I don't care about selecting clothes for different figures - I know what I suit.

How do you cook? Do you follow recipes? What do others think of your skill?

I generally invent things. I'm not a great cook, though people appreciate my inventions.

Are you good at color patterns and mixing them and matching?

What does this mean? Clothing? I don't know; I just wear what I like.

If someone is telling you what is beautiful and what is not, what goes with what color and what is not, do you agree with this person?
I don't know. I might, but beauty is subjective so if they were acting as if their opinions are objectively correct I'll disregard them.

Tell us how you'd design any room, house or an office. Do you do it yourself or trust someone else to do it? Why?

I do it myself or get a friend to help me. I know what I like and so would a friend, presumably. I wouldn't trust someone to do it on their own; there would probably be something I didn't like in the end. I don't think I'd put much thought into a design either; I'd probably end up changing it anyway. I'd just do what I thought was a good idea.

How do you know if a person has bad taste? Could you give us an example? Do you always trust your own taste or do you seek opinions from others?

I suppose 'bad' taste would be facile; the person would not have developed their knowledge of an area before forming an opinion. Generally, 'bad' taste is not defined objectively; rather it is applied to anyone who doesn't agree with you. In that case, anyone who didn't share my taste would have bad taste (in my opinion).

Block IV

Can you line up human resources and make them do things? What methods do you use? Can you press people? If so, how does it happen?

I don't know; I've never been in that situation. I like to be in charge of group work at school because I want my ideas to be recognised. I will (try to) reason with people to get them to see how I arrived at my conclusions.

What is incursion? How do you deal with this? Can you repulse? How easy can you do it?

An attack? I suppose I defend myself. I don't know.

What does "my people" and "strangers" mean? When do "my people" become "strangers" and why?

Arghh this thing is long. Okay. I never use the phrase "my people" as antithesis to "strangers". "My people" can easily be strangers. "My people" are people who think like me. My friends are not necessarily "my people". Friends can become strangers if I don't talk to them for a while.

Are there strategies of attack? Can you use them? When is it justified?

What kind of attack? These questions are confusing; they don't seem at all relevant to my life. Are you wanting to bring a person down, or an organisation, or an ideology? There are different possibilities for each. When is it justified? Are we talking morals here, or tit for tat? I suppose you might want to do it for revenge, which can be a just cause in some eyes. Maybe you want to do it because you think it will be beneficial to people in general. That would be/seem justified. However, Hitler thought killing six million Jews was beneficial to the human race (or rather, aryan race) but most people think that was not justification. So it depends on who you are as to what you think is just.

Do you think it's ok to occupy someone else's territory? In what situations?

Land should not belong to anybody. Sure, you should be able to have a house where your possessions are respected. However, national borders are entirely arbitrary and mostly pointless (except in the eyes of those in power; then of course national borders are essential). Squatting is a great idea - if the building is disused, then why not make use of it? Waste is never a good thing. As long as you're not being violent and personal space is respected, it's all fine.

What are the methods of volitional force? When is it most effective and in what situations?

Volitional force? I've never heard that phrase before. Volitional = deliberate/willing, so isn't that all force? There are too many kinds of force to list. It's usually effective - people tend to give in to pressure. It's most effective as a death threat, in any situation. People don't want to die. Emotional manipulation or blackmail is effective too. I don't use force though, I use reason.

How do you protect yourself and your interests?

I don't care too much about all of that. I suppose I keep on good terms with most people and confront people when I don't agree with them.

Describe your behavior in the situations of opposition and if you have to use some force?

No, I just argue. I reason. But I've never really been in a situation, so I don't know how I'd react. If a person was being agressive I'd probably fight back.

Do others think of you as a strong person? Do you think you are a strong person?

I don't have a clue how others think of me. I guess I'm fairly strong - I stick to my guns.

How do you understand if a person is strong? Are there any signs of a strong person? What is the core of any force? Why do people listen to one person, but not the other?

If they can lift heavy weights.. I don't know! I don't think about this shit! I don't care how strong someone is.

Block V

What is boorishness? Does your understanding of it correlate with the generally accepted notion? How would you explain what boorishness mean to a 10 year old child? How would you explain the same to an adult who does not behave ethically?

Boorishness is basically bad manners. Of course it correlates with the generally accpeted notion; it's a dictionary-defined word. I'd point the 10 year old to either a dictionary or Google. Same with the adult. But I wouldn't point them to it because they're "unethical". That action is condescending and pathetic and boorish it itself.

How would you improve the moral of the society?

Morals are relative.

Can you justify somebody's bad behavior by thinking that he/she wasn't taught how to do so?

I don't justify it. It just is.

Give us your understanding of love. Can you love and punish at the same time?

Love is respect, admiration, and care. If you love someone you care about them deeply. I don't think you can love and punish someone at the same time; punishment implies a lack of respect. It may be different for parents punishing their child as it is still learning, but punishment of an adult cannot coincide with love.

Have you heard about the Southern hospitality? Everything is for the guest. There is also a German hospitality – the master of the house is always right. What method is the right one? Try to evaluate without the weight of any cultural aspects, traditions, nations etc.

The German one doesn't sound like hospitality to me - in my mind hospitality is provision of comfort and basic requirements. Not everything for the guest; obviously theft is not part of the deal. I wouldn't say there is a "right" one because someone will always disagree with me.

What is sympathy? When do you need to express it? When is it advised not to?

Understanding of/pity for somebody. When your sympathies lie outside the norm, you would do best not to express them publicly because at worst you'll get lynched.

Are there any norms of behavior in the society? Do you follow them? Do people always have to follow them? Why?

Of course there are. I suppose I follow them - I feel compassion for fellow humans, I listen to music, I live, breathe, you know - all the normal things. People don't ever have to follow them. Some personalities don't allow it. There is nothing wrong with either following norms or not, as long as you're not just doing so for the sake of it. You have to think for yourself but there's no shame in being "normal" at least in some respects.

How do you know what attitude among people is right or wrong?

I don't "know". There is no obectivity about it whatsoever. I just feel it. After deliberation I may end up thinking and feeling differently, but it really is a feeling; an instinctive reaction.

What does moral mean? What is immoral? Does your understanding correlate with the others? How can you evaluate the correctness of your own understanding?

I'm sick of this. Morals are not divorced from emotion - they are defined by it. They don't make sense outside of it. My understanding does not seem to be the same as that of others; some try to separate morals and emotions and others don't even think about them. I came to my own understanding by thinking about it, then reading about it, then thinking about it again. I think my understanding is the proper one, until I change my mind.

Somebody is giving you a negative attitude – what is your reaction? Could you show your own negative attitude toward someone else? If so, how? Could you give a person the silent treatment? How easily do you forgive people?

What is a negative attitude? How does one give somebody a negative attitude? Is it the kind of thing you'd give as a gift?
Yeah, whatever. The person's "negative attitude" is just expression of their emotions, which they can't really help. If I see a reason for them not to be negative, I'll try to show them it. Else, I'll just leave them alone.

Block VI

"Whole world does not cost one tear of child" – how do you understand this phrase? Do you agree with this opinion?

I don't understand this phrase because it does not appear to be grammatically correct. Is this the phrase?
“And if the suffering of children goes to make up the sum of suffering needed to buy truth, then I assert beforehand that the whole of truth is not worth such a price.”
Well, I don't think that children will ever suffer from a truth; truths are neutral.

Is it acceptable to express emotions? Give examples of inappropriate expression of emotions.

Well, yes, it is acceptable (though I don't do it very much). Inappropriate expression of emotions.. I suppose laughing at a funeral could be seen as inappropriate. I can't be arsed with this.

Can you use negative emotions? In what situations?

Anger could be used to change something, though then I suppose it would be a positive emotion. Sadness is never much use; it holds you back more than anything.

How do you express negative emotions? What does it look like? What do others think about it?

I generally don't, except for anger. If someone annoys me they'll get a sharp reply. I put people down if they push me. I'm not sure what others think about it. I won't generally cry in the presence of other people. I tend to keep that to myself, or at most, my mum.

Shallow emotions – what does it mean? Are there any other emotions?

Shallow emotions are, I suppose, the fleeting ones or the ones you don't particularly notice or act on. Deep emotions would be ones that strongly affected you for more than a few moments; they'd recur in relation to the same things.

What are right or wrong emotions?

There is no such thing. Emotions define right and wrong; it is circular to use morals to describe emotions. Emotions can be unjust, but not "right" or "wrong".

Can you change the emotional state of yourself? Of others? To what side – positive or negative?

I can change my emotional state by thinking about things that elicit a particular emotion. I can change the emotional state of other people by bringing up something I think will affect them in a particular way. I can do this for positive and negative emotions.

What does it mean to "pour out your emotions"? How does it happen?

It means there is a metaphorical dam people use to keep their emotions at bay so they don't express them publicly, or perhaps they are just uncomfortable to address them. The dam will break at one point, and the person is flooded by the jumble of feelings they have been avoiding.

Does your internal emotional state correlate with what you show externally?

Not really. Well, I don't know - I don't pay attention to my facial expressions. Sometimes I'm asked "what's wrong?" when I'm just thinking, or "you look pissed off" when I didn't think I was expressing myself.

Do you track what mood you are in throughout the day? Do you notice the mood of others?

Not really, I just take things as they come. I do notice the mood of others in the things they say and do, and the way they say/do them.

Block VII

Do you like surprises?

Yeah, I suppose they give me something novel to experience/think about. Gifts are best as surprises because if you appreciate it then it means the giver knows you and likes you well enough to get you something you like.

How do people change? How do you feel about those changes? Can others see the changes?

It's just something people do, though they stay largely the same. Their lives can change without the person changing particularly. I don't feel much about changes, though maybe regret could be applied to some circumstances where a once good friend has changed into someone I don't get on with. Everybody notices changes, apart from maybe the person changing.

Is it true that whatever happens is only for the best?

No. Events are neutral, and their consequences can either be enjoyed or regretted by the subject.

What do you think of horoscopes, fortune telling etc.? Do you believe in luck, lucky fortuity?

It's all bollocks. A money-making scam.

Can you forecast events? Is it even real?

I suppose I have my hunches, but I wouldn't treat them as factual. I might just see ways situations can pan out.

What is time? How do you feel time? Can you "kill" time? How?

I wasn't expecting to have to write a load of philosophy for this! I'm not going to be very coherent; I'm tired. Time is essentially change. If nothing changes, everything looks like a freeze frame: time has stopped. Maybe that's why time is basically space. Changes in space mean changes in time. How do I feel time? I feel it passing. The past is gone, only the present exists, yet you know that there was a past and there will be a future, only the future is decreasing in length and the past is increasing. There is a sense of despair about it, I suppose. Time is unstoppable. Things keep on happening and we just ride the waves, barely able to make changes of our own. Can you kill time? Not literally, but you can waste it by doing nothing or avoiding something important. You can make time seem not to pass so slowly, or make it seem to pass more slowly, whichever you prefer.

Is it easy for you to wait for some important event? What if you don’t know when it is supposed to happen?

I don't like being excited for things. It's torture because it's not happening now. I'd rather not spend the time between now and the event in some anticipatory limbo. If I don't know when it's supposed to happen, it'll be even better when it does because I won't anticipate it so much. However, if it takes a long time to happen the wait will irritate me to say the least. I'll just try to forget about it.

Do you need help creating forecasts and determining how something will end? Do you trust those forecasts?

No. I can use my reason.

Are you normally late? How do you react if someone is late?

Sometimes I'm late but I try to be on time. I leave things until the last minute and they take longer than I expected. I'm impatient so I don't like waiting for people.

Imagine the situation where you agreed to meet with someone. Your feelings and actions: a) 20 minutes before the meeting starts, b) 5 minutes before the meeting starts, c) it is time for the meeting to start, but the person is not here, d) 20 minutes after the meeting start time and the person is not here, e) more time and the person is still not here…

a) I'd be killing time; lets say we're meeting in town. I'd be wandering around shops glancing at my watch every so often.
b) I'd make my way to the spot. I'd probably be somewhat excited to see them.
c) I'd be looking around for them, kind of annoyed, but I'd forgive them easily if I saw them. I'd still be looking forward to seeing them.
d) It's pushing it to say that I'd be waiting for 20 minutes. 10 is probably the maximum. I'd have texted them to ask where they were/what they were doing, and I'd be pretty fed up with them. If they later apologised and gave me an excuse I'd be okay with it.
e) No way I'd be waiting around. I'd probably call someone else and forget them.

Block VIII

Is there a meaning of life? In what? Is it the same for everybody?

There isn't one; "meaning" implies there is something outside of life for life to mean something to, but I am thoroughly within life; life is all I know. People want to do different things with themselves, if that's what you're asking.

What should be done so people can be happy?

"Should" implies I am morally obliged to make people happy. I am not. I may feel obliged, but it is subjective. Personally, I would be nice to people. That's about all it takes.

In the situations with a lot of potential and volatility will you trust your own guts, logically calculating everything or will you ask people you trust what should be done?

I would first consult myself, then once I was sure of my position I would consult others to see that I hadn't come to any erroneous conclusions.

When you meet a stranger, what can you say about them right away? How do you know what this person is all about? Does it take long to understand someone's talents?

Right away? Without talking to them? I've never really paid attention to that. I suppose I might get a certain 'vibe' but you can't know anything without getting to know them first. It doesn't take long to understand someone's talents if they demonstrate them. If they don't, you'll have to find out later.

Remember an interesting person and call out 5-6 qualities you think are interesting in them. What makes an interesting person? Are you an interesting person? Why? What if someone calls you "boring" and "not interesting"?

Uh.. I can't think of anyone. Okay, I'll be general.
- a passionate interest
- thoughtfulness (i.e. they think a lot)
- curiosity
- creativity
- ambitions

What opinions, from people who know you, seem: a) fair; b) not fair; c) hurtful; d) strange.

What kind of opinions? Opinions about me? The world? Morality? I don't know.

Do you fantasize? What kind of fantasies do you have?

I fantasise about travelling around Europe on very little money, busking to earn money for food and transport. It'd be great to be away from society, free to do what I want to.
I also think about being a physics researcher and discovering something fantastic. I can't wait to start university.

What qualities should a person have to be successful and why?

"Success"; yet another subjective word. What does it mean? I define "success" to be "happiness" or "contentment". Therefore, if someone wants to be successful they have to be true to themselves and get a job they actually want.

What qualities can stop a person from being successful and why?

Adherence to the popular notion of "success": monetary wealth. It's a cliche, but money can't buy happiness.

What is more important in life – to be a good person or be a successful one? Why? Is a good person always successful? If not, then why?

Neither. Be true to yourself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts