Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that I want to study English (over studying Human Resources). I don't know what I want to do with the degree. I know that I can do well if I focus. In my situation it is difficult to commit to it right now.

Can you help me out by posting some inspiring reasons that I should study English?!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
You can run verbal laps around people. If you've read Hamlet you know what I'm talking about, it's quite entertaining. Plus, you can learn a lot, just look at it as history. Mayn stories have lessons you can learn, but it's far more interesting than a history textbook!

Plus, you can study just by reading famous literature, and no one thinks of reading in a negative light. It'll increase your vocabulary too, so you'll sound a lot smarter :D

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
TESL classrooms are fun.

< is a part-time ESL teacher.

Reactions: WiscoExplorer

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've heard it really doesn't matter much what you get a Bachelor's in (assuming you're getting a Bachelor's) unless you actually need the stuff you learn about (biology for a doctor, physics for an engineer, CS3 for a l33t h4x0r, etc). But really, most people end up working in a job unrelated to their major (again, I've only heard this, so don't quote me). So if you like English, great, get an English degree.

Also you can ace future job interviews with your God-tier verbal skills. So that's a plus.

Also do what you love. Unless you're really passionate about Human Resources, go with English.

Reactions: WiscoExplorer

·
Banned
4,187 Posts
Not all English graduates are teachers, writers or penniless hobos living in cardboard boxes. Those are common stereotypes.

I believe it's important to reflect on personal aspirations, values and interests -- as well as focus on marketing transferable (as opposed to 'content') skills if you can't see yourself committing to a long-term career in Human Resources.

From what I've observed, 'practical' degrees don't necessarily guarantee immediate or secure employment -- let alone financial security. If you choose to study Human Resources simply because it's more 'practical' and you've been convinced that all English graduates do is teach, write or sulk in poverty -- then I'd urge you to reconsider.

You're an INFP :) Let's get Ne into gear and think of creative solutions to put into practice. Ignore the naysayers and shallow stereotypes. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Studying English can be great because you are studying writing. Writing is a very powerful tool. Through writing you learn to express yourself and people who can express themselves well, have power in society. Politicians, lawyers, journalists, academics are all good writers and these are the people who form the opinions in society, because they are the ones who have the ability to express themselves. By studying writing you learn how to structure your thoughts logically and learn to argue your perspective. This ability to write and understand the written word makes you an empowered citizen capable of understanding the world around you and capable of forming and presenting opinions. As they say "the pen is mightier than the sword". :happy:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts