Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
ESTP 7w8 sx/sp
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO = Picking up social cues naturally and willingness/easiness to abide by etiquette. Enjoys small talk and doesn't need to have specific reasons for talking.
SP = Assessing the risk/reward thoroughly and considering what to do if things don't go right / having comforts to fall back on.
SX = Base desires / need to maintain a "high."

A test said I was SO/SX before but I'm actually SX/SP after someone suggested it and actually reading more about the instincts. I don't value SO.

The summaries above are my understanding of the instincts now.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Still SP/SO here. I can relate to SP the most, somewhat to SO, and little to SX. I find tests unreliable, they give you a lead but reading through descriptions and trying to relate to them seems a much better approach.

·
Registered
INTJ 5w6 so/sp
140 Posts
Still so/sp according to the definitions above. Though I don't relate so much with the second sentence of the SO description. I don't really enjoy small talk (and I think most people don't like small talk either regardless of instincts). But I can do small talk easily. I still like having a purpose to talking with someone otherwise I'm just wasting my time.

I can easily pick up on group dynamics and assess how I come across to others. As a result, I am conscious of my actions so that I'm in line with social etiquette. I do this to be accepted by others and not to be socially humiliated.

Tests always give me sp/sx just because I am introverted and I prefer one-to-one situations. Reading the descriptions on the instincts helped me determine my stacking.

·
Registered
752 Posts
where does this description come from exactly? in particular, sx looks more like a caricature than anything else, and isnt terribly accurate. sx is the desire for intimate emotional connection with individual people in life.

Reactions: Scoobyscoob

·
Registered
ESTP 7w8 sx/sp
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where does this description come from exactly? in particular, sx looks more like a caricature than anything else, and isnt terribly accurate. sx is the desire for intimate emotional connection with individual people in life.
No, it's not. That's where I was wrong. The instinct has nothing to do with emotion. That is Enneagram and MBTI related, not instinct-related.

SX is a purely chemical bond of ANY KIND. Any pleasure activity.

A person on Discord made that point to me.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I guess I fit SO though it sounds pretty boring and not really all that instinctual. SX and SP are equally important but contradictory.

·
Registered
ESTP 7w8 sx/sp
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I fit SO though it sounds pretty boring and not really all that instinctual. SX and SP are equally important but contradictory.
Everyone uses all 3 but one of them is valued the least and excluded from the stack syntax.

SP is literally taking precautions for yourself.
SX is seeking pleasure. It doesn't take caution. It's single-minded. That's dependent on SP if SP is valued.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Everyone uses all 3 but one of them is valued the least and excluded from the stack syntax.
Yes, I understand that's how it's supposed to go.

SP is literally taking precautions for yourself.
SX is seeking pleasure. It doesn't take caution. It's single-minded. That's dependent on SP if SP is valued.
Yes exactly what I meant.

Reactions: Ecchi

·
Registered
INTJ-Fi
491 Posts
I gave up on enneagram, but thanks to your descriptions, I am most probably sp/so

·
Registered
ESTP 7w8 sx/sp
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SX/SP, SO blind I wonder if it could be due to low/poor Fe
I'm SX/SP, so it varies between types whether SO is something they don't understand or they just don't don't want to waste time with most people that don't offer anything to them.

I don't want to waste time with people who don't offer anything to me.

·
Registered
Not Like Other Boys™
99 Posts
SO = Picking up social cues naturally and willingness/easiness to abide by etiquette. Enjoys small talk and doesn't need to have specific reasons for talking.
SP = Assessing the risk/reward thoroughly and considering what to do if things don't go right / having comforts to fall back on.
SX = Base desires / need to maintain a "high."

A test said I was SO/SX before but I'm actually SX/SP after someone suggested it and actually reading more about the instincts. I don't value SO.

The summaries above are my understanding of the instincts now.
these are supremely basic definitions of the instincts, and should not at all be used to guide your assessment of them, in yourself, or in others.

and: tests always suck.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
One problem with defining Sx as "seeking pleasure" (aside from being terribly simplistic) is that all the instincts seek pleasure in some way. They are instincts after all, the carnal part of us. So the idea that Social or Sp don't seek pleasure in their own way doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
4,048 Posts
simpistic has its merits.

so = orgy - validation; status, finances, networking, leaving a mark or building community, carving out a niche to belong. often stereotyped as superficial, they serve multiple positions within a group, often lending to its stability and in return, all they need is a little recognition from their community. an mvp award should suffice.

sx = bdsm - power exchange; some may call them passionate, others might call them obsessive... they're generally more apt than the other two to take on greater personal risks, often self made challenges, in the pursuit of whatever catches their fancy. a bit more all or nothing to the dim sum of the so. they don't need a crowd cheering but could use someone else to help give them perspective to the horizon

sp = solo - self reliance; just as so might be introverted, a sp can be extroverted but geared more towards personal fulfillment, an executive spa day and just staying out of the drama... save for the occasional troll.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts