Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are descriptions from The Wisdom of the Enneagram, which you can find here: Amazon.com: The Wisdom of the Enneagram: The Complete Guide to Psychological and Spiritual Growth for the Nine Personality Types (9780553378207): Don Richard Riso, Russ Hudson: Books

Self-Preservation Sevens

Getting Mine. In the average range, Self-Preservation Sevens are determined, energetic people, driven to make sure that their basic needs and comforts will always be met. Their attitudes and concerns tend to emphasize the practical and the material. (In the immortal words of Scarlett O'Hara, "As God is my witness, I will never go hungry again!") They tend to be ambitious and work hard to insure that options will remain open to them.

Self-Preservation Sevens are also classic consumers. They enjoy shopping, traveling, and pampering themselves, making it their business to gather information about the potential sources of enjoyment (catalogues, movie listings, travel and restaurant guides). These Sevens are especially on the lookout for sales and bargains, and like discussing these matters with friends. ("I just found the most darling mugs at the Pottery Barn.") While they enjoy socializing, Self-Preservation Sevens fear developing dependencies on others and avoid having others depend on them.

Less healthy Self-Preservation Sevens can feel impatient and panicky when their needs are not quickly met. They often experience anxieties about the loss of comforts or of material support and easily feel deprived. (Fears about going hungry are not uncommon.) They can be extremely demanding and cranky when frustrated, expecting others to meet their needs as soon as they are expressed—or even sooner.

In the unhealthy range, Self-Preservation Sevens can be extremely thoughtless and relentless in pursuit of security needs. They aggressively go after whatever they believe will make them feel more secure or stave off their anxiety, and brook no interference. Reckless with their finances and resources, spending out of control or gambling, they can be even more profligate with their own health and inner resources. They push themselves beyond reasonable limits, eating, drinking, and indulging themselves to excess.

Social Sevens

Missing Out. In the average range, Social Sevens often cultivate a group of friends and "advisors" who share enthusiasms and interests with them. These people keep the Seven informed of new possibilities and provide the stimulation and variety that Sevens enjoy. Idealistic people, they like getting involved with social interactions and causes, finding these activities exciting. However, once involved in the projects with other people, Social Sevens can become frustrated and feel bogged down by others' slower pace/ At such times, social responsibility begins to feel burdensome—they are caught in a conflict between the desire to fulfill their commitments and the desire to go off and do their own thing. Moreover, Social Sevens are always on the lookout for a more stimulating setting ("This New Year's gathering is pretty nice, but I bet Ted's party will really be jumping after midnight!"). Social Sevens also resent authority, seeing it as arbitrary and unnecessary—yet another source of social restriction.

Less healthy Social Sevens tend to scatter their energy and resources, to half commit. They make sure to fill their calendars and date books, but also "pencil in" back-up plans, so that they are not trapped in any particular course of action. They tend to have many pokers in the fire, but are too distracted to get white-hot about any of them. They are friendly and engaging, even charming, but easily feel trapped any may cancel appointments or dates with little or no notice if anxiety or a more promising social engagement presents itself.

In the unhealthy range, Social Sevens tend to dissipate their force and talent in endless successions of meetings, social gatherings, and "planning sessions" that are never brought to a conclusion. They leave a trail of loose ends and broken hearts, never alighting anywhere for long. They are unsettled and unsettling since flight from anxiety renders them irresponsible and leads them into potentially dangerous and destructive "social scenes."

Sexual Sevens

The Neophile. In the average range, Sexual Sevens are constantly looking for something new and beyond the ordinary; like Fours, they tend to reject the mundane. In all of their activities and interactions, they want to experience the intense charge of being alive. They see life through heightened imagination, idealizing themselves, their relationships, and reality. They often have wide-ranging curiosity and interests and are fascinated by new ideas and topics they see as being on the cutting edge. Sexual Sevens are magnetized by people whom they find interesting or refreshing. When the radar of their sexual instinct locks on the such a person, they do not hesitate to approach the person with charm and genuine interest. They feel temporarily dazzled and hypnotized by the object of their curiosity and may induce similar feelings in others. Sexual Sevens enjoy the excitement of fantasizing about future adventures and shared interest with the nre person. They love wild ideas, wit, and humor — their minds move very quickly, but this can also cause restlessness with themselves and their relationships.

Less healthy Sexual Sevens can become fickle — both with their interests and with their affections. They fear commitment, preferring the intense feelings of infatuation that occur in the earliest stages of a relationship. (They love falling in love.) They revel in romance and in the process of mutual discovery, but as soon as the feelings become familiar, they are ready to explore other possibilities. Similarly, restlessness causes them to lack discernment. They may get involved in faddish or sensational ideas in glitzy packaging that are little more than temporary distractions. Disappointment soon follows.

In the unhealthy range, Sexual Sevens become even more reckless in their pursuit of charged excitement. They may involve themselves in crazy schemes and unrealistic or dangerous love affairs. They become thrill-seekers, looking for more and more extraordinary sources of entertainment while being less and less affected by any of it. They become hardened and dissipated from living on the edge, often burning out or damaging themselves in some permanent way from their excesses.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Yay! Thank you.

Self-Preservation Sevens

Getting mine. In the average range, Self-Preservation Sevens are determined, energetic people, driven to make sure that their basic needs and comforts will always be met. Their attitudes and concerns tend to emphasize the practical and the material. (In the immortal words of Scarlett O'Hara, "As God is my witness, I will never go hungry again!") They tend to be ambitious and work hard to insure that options will remain open to them.

Self-Preservation Sevens know that they cannot keep track of every piece of information they may need, so they often cultivate a group of friends and "advisors" who share enthusiasms and interests with them. These people keep the Seven informed of new possibilities and resources, and provide the stimulation and social interaction that Sevens enjoy. Self-Preservation Sevens enjoy learning about others' plans and projects as well as regaling others with their own. This is not the same as the bonding with others found in some Sixes, however. The feeling is looser—Self-Preservation Sevens are not interested in developing dependencies on others or in having others depend excessively on them. They want to be able to come and go as they choose and are impatient with restrictions—group participation must feel voluntary, not obligatory.

Less healthy Self-Preservation Sevens can feel impatient and panicky when their needs are not quickly met. They often experience anxieties about the loss of comforts or of material support, and easily feel deprived. (Fears about going hungry are not uncommon.) They can be extremely demanding and cranky when frustrated, expecting others to meet their needs as soon as they are expressed—or even sooner.

In the unhealthy range, Self-Preservation Sevens can be extremely thoughtless and relentless in pursuit of security needs. They aggressively go after whatever they believe will make them feel more secure or stave off their anxiety, and brook no interference. Reckless with their finances and resources, spending out of control or gambling, they can be even more profligate with their own health and inner resources. They push themselves beyond reasonable limits, eating, drinking, and indulging themselves to excess.

Social Sevens

Missing Out. In the average range, Social Sevens often cultivate a group of friends and "advisors" who share enthusiasms and interests with them. These people keep the Seven informed of new possibilities and provide the stimulation and variety that Sevens enjoy. Idealistic people, they like getting involved with social interactions and causes, finding these activities exciting. However, once involved in the projects with other people, Social Sevens can become frustrated and feel bogged down by others' slower pace/ At such times, social responsibility begins to feel burdensome—they are caught in a conflict between the desire to fulfill their commitments and the desire to go off and do their own thing. Moreover, Social Sevens are always on the lookout for a more stimulating setting ("This New Year's gathering is pretty nice, but I bet Ted's party will really be jumping after midnight!"). Social Sevens also resent authority, seeing it as arbitrary and unnecessary—yet another source of social restriction.

Less healthy Social Sevens tend to scatter their energy and resources, to half commit. They make sure to fill their calendars and date books, but also "pencil in" back-up plans, so that they are not trapped in any particular course of action. They tend to have many pokers in the fire, but are too distracted to get white-hot about any of them. They are friendly and engaging, even charming, but easily feel trapped any may cancel appointments or dates with little or no notice if anxiety or a more promising social engagement presents itself.

In the unhealthy range, Social Sevens tend to dissipate their force and talent in endless successions of meetings, social gatherings, and "planning sessions" that are never brought to a conclusion. They leave a trail of loose ends and broken hearts, never alighting anywhere for long. They are unsettled and unsettling since flight from anxiety renders them irresponsible and leads them into potentially dangerous and destructive "social scenes."

Sexual Sevens

The Neophile. In the average range, Sexual Sevens are constantly looking for something new and beyond the ordinary; like Fours, they tend to reject the mundane. In all of their activities and interactions, they want to experience the intense charge of being alive. They see life through heightened imagination, idealizing themselves, their relationships, and reality. They often have wide-ranging curiosity and interests and are fascinated by new ideas and topics they see as being on the cutting edge. Sexual Sevens are magnetized by people whom they find interesting or refreshing. When the radar of their sexual instinct locks on the such a person, they do not hesitate to approach the person with charm and genuine interest. They feel temporarily dazzled and hypnotized by the object of their curiosity and may induce similar feelings in others. Sexual Sevens enjoy the excitement of fantasizing about future adventures and shared interest with the nre person. They love wild ideas, wit, and humor — their minds move very quickly, but this can also cause restlessness with themselves and their relationships.

Less healthy Sexual Sevens can become fickle — both with their interests and with their affections. They fear commitment, preferring the intense feelings of infatuation that occur in the earliest stages of a relationship. (They love falling in love.) They revel in romance and in the process of mutual discovery, but as soon as the feelings become familiar, they are ready to explore other possibilities. Similarly, restlessness causes them to lack discernment. They may get involved in faddish or sensational ideas in glitzy packaging that are little more than temporary distractions. Disappointment soon follows.

In the unhealthy range, Sexual Sevens become even more reckless in their pursuit of charged excitement. They may involve themselves in crazy schemes and unrealistic or dangerous love affairs. They become thrill-seekers, looking for more and more extraordinary sources of entertainment while being less and less affected by any of it. They become hardened and dissipated from living on the edge, often burning out or damaging themselves in some permanent way from their excesses.

Heh. I'm sp towards people and sx towards ideas. How is it supposed to make sense? :/

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Yeah, none of the three description fit completely. I still have issues with the practical/materialistic part of sp instinct :/ I guess I'll settle on sp/sx, though, because I'm definitely less social and energetic than most Sevens ;)

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, none of the three description fit completely. I still have issues with the practical/materialistic part of sp instinct :/ I guess I'll settle on sp/sx, though, because I'm definitely less social and energetic than most Sevens ;)
Yeah, the "practical" theme never really fit me either. I will say, though, that I do think practically when it comes to planning and stuff. However, I don't prefer it, as it isn't as novel or "fun" compared to letting my Ne go wild. I think maybe for NT 7's that are sp-dom, maybe we should substitute "practical" with "efficient" — seems like a better fit.

Reactions: aconite

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I like also these [from here].

SP Sevens

Gourmand / Family Visionary (family):
Family life is idealized to create an environment that is stimu -lating, enthusiastic, pleasurable, body-oriented (gourmet or health food focused), or visionary (e.g., utopian, as in a commune or extended family). Like the “good life”, to stay busy with fun home activities, not to slow down or get bogged down with routine chores.

Bon Vivant, Salon Designer, Renaissance Man or Woman, Family Visionary, Magical Child, Fun Parent, Pastry Chef, “Good Life” Aficionado, Communard, Family Entertainer, Visionary Entrepreneur, Interior Designer, Home Improver, Versatile Generalist, Idea Glutton, Self-improvement Junkie, Intellectual Spin-ner, Self-fascinated Narcissist

SX Sevens

Adventurer (suggestibility):
Charming, risk taking, adventur-ous. Experience overdone due to extreme expansiveness & mental fascination/ imagination. Suggestibility comes from tendency to merge with others’ plans, ideas, fantasies; can get carried away by fantasies of love or unwittingly inflict hurt as “dance away lovers”, but find commitment difficult. Love of intense experiences can mean addiction. Flower children, roll & rollers.

Artless Charmer, Dance-away Lover, Shameless Hedonist, Space Cadet, Comic, Mimic, Hippie, Manic Escapist, Rake, Alcoholic, Addict, Dreamer, Artist, Trickster, Vagabond, Aimless Wanderer, Juggler, Fool, Jack of All Trades, Panhandler, Self Actualizer, Gam -bler, Snake Charmer, Clothes Designer, Raconteur, Troubadour, Angelic Innocent

SO Sevens

Utopian Visionary (sacrifice):
“Feast of life” here is of ideas & social visions; they are resolute idealists who will place limits on themselves for the cause; this is a sacrifice
for freedom-loving 7s. But the plans & visions can be compelling, grandiose, addictive (gluttonous); grounding is needed. Extremism & entitlement are possible. More detached, rational, impersonal than other 7s; “I network, therefore, I am.”

Social Idealist, Political Visionary, High-Flying Utopian, Optimistic Futurist, Social Planner, Social Architect, Armchair Revolutionary, Intellectual Anarchist, Winged Messenger, Angelic Herald, Swift Courier, Idea Net-worker, Aquarian Thinker, Innovative Communicator, Human Potential Activist, Trendsetter, Jet-setter, One of the Beautiful People

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
Me too, especially the part about materialism. I'm anti-materialistic/anti-consumption. From reading about sp and sx descriptions elsewhere, though, I can see it's definitely a toss-up; I am definitely soc-last.

I was such a scaredy as a kid, I worry so much about health and finances now, and I am so subdued, that I just rule myself sp/sx

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
SP Sevens

Gourmand / Family Visionary (family):
Family life is idealized to create an environment that is stimu -lating, enthusiastic, pleasurable, body-oriented (gourmet or health food focused), or visionary (e.g., utopian, as in a commune or extended family). Like the “good life”, to stay busy with fun home activities, not to slow down or get bogged down with routine chores.

Bon Vivant, Salon Designer, Renaissance Man or Woman, Family Visionary, Magical Child, Fun Parent, Pastry Chef, “Good Life” Aficionado, Communard, Family Entertainer, Visionary Entrepreneur, Interior Designer, Home Improver, Versatile Generalist, Idea Glutton, Self-improvement Junkie, Intellectual Spin-ner, Self-fascinated Narcissist

SX Sevens

Adventurer (suggestibility):
Charming, risk taking, adventur-ous. Experience overdone due to extreme expansiveness & mental fascination/ imagination. Suggestibility comes from tendency to merge with others’ plans, ideas, fantasies; can get carried away by fantasies of love or unwittingly inflict hurt as “dance away lovers”, but find commitment difficult. Love of intense experiences can mean addiction. Flower children, roll & rollers.

Artless Charmer, Dance-away Lover, Shameless Hedonist, Space Cadet, Comic, Mimic, Hippie, Manic Escapist, Rake, Alcoholic, Addict, Dreamer, Artist, Trickster, Vagabond, Aimless Wanderer, Juggler, Fool, Jack of All Trades, Panhandler, Self Actualizer, Gam -bler, Snake Charmer, Clothes Designer, Raconteur, Troubadour, Angelic Innocent
Hmm, this makes me feel like I'm way more sx than sp. Family life? No, thanks. I have my dreams to fulfill!

And "dance away lover" describes me so well :p All my relationships began with extreme passion, lust and burning love... which, of course, didn't last very long (the longest one lasted for a little bit shorter than 2 years). I'm quite adept at showing interest and seducing people, but OTOH I become disillusioned and bored with my lovers very quickly.

Reactions: zallla

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
VII. Type Seven Variants

Self-Preservation Sevens like to sample the world around them, but they do so cautiously, and tend to involve themselves in things that have survival value. They may be a more serious Seven than other types, and may actually appear to be very Five-like. However, they hop between interests like a Seven does. More likely to be introverted than extroverted, although this is not a rule. They place a special emphasis on activities that emphasize their physical security and health.

Social Sevens direct their energy toward the connections within their social group, meaning that they can easily hop from one group of friends to the next. Many of their interests are oriented around interaction with others. Tends to be extroverted, tends to be Seven with a Six Wing, but this is not set in stone.

Sexual Sevens are thrill-seekers and there is probably a strong correlation between Seven with an Eight Wing and a sexual variant stacking. Tends to be extroverted, tends to be Seven with an Eight wing.

@aconite, that's from @timeless' incredible Seven description... Actually, he might be able to tell what is this related to, why do sx Sevens and Sevens with an Eight wing (probably) correlate? I would relate that to the intensity and energy Eight wing adds to type Seven. This makes me question the presence of my own Six wing but I guess an Eight fix is adequate to explain my Eightish tendencies. I think I'm a bit more softer than 7w8s seem to be, could even seem shy and sweet even when I'm usually clearly more talkative than withdrawn.

Anyway, I could imagine you being sx Seven too, @aconite. Have you investigated this? There are examples of different stacking and wing variations.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm, this makes me feel like I'm way more sx than sp. Family life? No, thanks. I have my dreams to fulfill!

And "dance away lover" describes me so well :p All my relationships began with extreme passion, lust and burning love... which, of course, didn't last very long (the longest one lasted for a little bit shorter than 2 years). I'm quite adept at showing interest and seducing people, but OTOH I become disillusioned and bored with my lovers very quickly.
LOL For myself I still feel torn between the two... =]

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Sx last 7w8 (So/Sp and Sp/So): The Workaholic Businessman
Sp last 7w8 (So/Sx and Sx/So): The Party Animal/The Daredevil/"Sex Drugs and Rock n' Roll"
So last 7w8 (Sx/Sp and Sp/Sx): The Diva, The Playboy
I am the Diva, then? XD

According to the video sticky, Joan Collins is a Sx/Sp 7w8. When I saw the Snickers ad on TV for the first time, I literally burst out laughing :D

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
I am the Diva, then? XD

According to the video sticky, Joan Collins is a Sx/Sp 7w8. When I saw the Snickers ad on TV for the first time, I literally burst out laughing :D

or the playboy, like Hugh Hefner (7w8 Sp/Sx, probably ENFP)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Finally figured out what all the sp/sx so/sp was -.-

Thanks for the topic.

I'm definitely sx/so.

Reactions: possiBri

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
What do you think of this subtype test? I got the following result:
Sp - 51
Sx - 86
So - 46

It's quite different from everything I got so far (similarminds, eclectic energies etc.) - I'm especially surprised by So and Sp being almost equal.

Reactions: possiBri

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What do you think of this subtype test? I got the following result:
Sp - 51
Sx - 86
So - 46

It's quite different from everything I got so far (similarminds, eclectic energies etc.) - I'm especially surprised by So and Sp being almost equal.
Well, I liked the format of the test, but I'm not completely sold on the validity of it, because I was pretty aware of what the different options were measuring (which usually makes me think I could be subconsciously skewing the test). That being said, I DO agree with my results:

Sp — 84
Sx — 74
So — 57

Reactions: aconite
1 - 20 of 39 Posts