Votes: 4 20.0%
  • No [ENTP]

Votes: 16 80.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were to get a camera, or some other device, would you be uncomfortable using it before you read shit loads about it, or would you just jump in and start using it?

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I voted no, but it really depends. I mean, in a situation where it might be risky, then yeah, I won't just jump right into it. But usually, I don't really like to read instruction manuals first and I tend to just study whatever it is and figure it out myself.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I usually figure it out instinctively. I refer to a manual if I get stuck but first I like to try to find my own way around the device. I usually refer to the internet rather than a manual (or online manual) for troubleshooting because Help sections never address actual problems.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Usually no, because I would have acquired the knowledge beforehand. For something new and dangerous, I most likely read the manual.

"Low tech" stuff (No read) - Digital camera, phone, razor, meat slicer, computer, paper slicer, paper copier.
"High Tech" stuff (Still no read) - Oscilloscope, Weight Balance, Voltage Regulator, Electronic Circuits, Multimeters.
"Higher Tech" stuff (must read) - Car, Large Machinery, Programmable Machinery, expensive stuff.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Usually no, because I would have acquired the knowledge beforehand. For something new and dangerous, I most likely read the manual.

"Low tech" stuff (No read) - Digital camera, phone, razor, meat slicer, computer, paper slicer, paper copier.
"High Tech" stuff (Still no read) - Oscilloscope, Weight Balance, Voltage Regulator, Electronic Circuits, Multimeters.
"Higher Tech" stuff (must read) - Car, Large Machinery, Programmable Machinery, expensive stuff.
You read the instruction book for cars before you drive them? Really?

Anyway, I've screwed myself plenty of times for not reading directions on things like computers, routers, other gadgets. I still don't have enough patience for the instruction books before I start using them. Thus I am very glad for "quick start guides", preferably with a lot of pictures.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I read the instructions all the time unless its something I've done a million times over, like installing a dvd drive. For something that's foreign to me, I'll most likely read about it before hand and then go step by step with the manual just so I can be truly be comfortable with it.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Nope. Generally, these days, all digital cameras operate similarly, all cell phones operate similarly, all cars operate similarly, all computers and operating systems operate similarly....There's not much of a need for instruction manuals. I mean really, if you can't figure out what button on a camera takes a picture, you have much larger problems.

Unless I'm going to hurt something or blow something up, I'd rather experiment and figure it out myself. You learn more that way.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I always glance through it first then never open the instructions again no matter how screwed I am!

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm more likely to reference the manual if I have a specific question. I definitely wouldn't read it cover to cover or anything. A lot of times I throw them out, actually, because if I have question I can just google it or look on the company website usually.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
If it's assembly, I glance at if anything.
For cameras, and gadgets i find the manual very helpful in maximizing it's use with very little learning curve.
It tells me all the features and where to find them in all the sub-menu's.
Cars, large machinery, and stuff like that I prefer to figure out as I go

I guess I take a very Se approach in this area.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I tend to try to figure things out first. If it's a video game or something I might look at basic button functions and then figure the rest out but typically I use manuals to fill in the gaps if I really can't figure something out. If it's a cellphone I enjoy figuring it out first and then going back to the manual to see if I missed anything.

Everything operates pretty similarly though and it's not as if you can break something, like old people seem to think, by fooling around with it so I prefer to keep the manual as a "just in case". But it's never the first place I go. The only exception is if i'm putting as shelf or something together. Then I use it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts