Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were to get a camera, or some other device, would you be uncomfortable using it before you read shit loads about it, or would you just jump in and start using it?

4,757 Posts
ha! I've been thinking about asking this question.

I almost never read the manual. I just start fiddling around, pressing buttons and hoping something happens. Usually it takes me quite a while to figure out all the functions, if I figure them all out.

My INTJ friend has seen me do this a lot. Like there was ereader on displayed in a bookstore. I stood there pushing buttons aimlessly until she pointed there were instructions right nearby. She totally laughed at me.

Reactions: Gracerina

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I always just jump in and use it. If I get stuck then I will look over the information. Most cases things are very simple to operate or figure out. The more complex stuff can always be researched. If I don't get the answer by research then I can ask someone. There are always answers. to every question.

·
Registered
15,648 Posts
Usually I'll read the instruction manual if I get stuck on something. Using the camera example I have 3 Olympus cameras and I have yet to read the manuals. I do keep all instruction manuals in my various *piles* of paper that adorn the inside of my home. I keep them, just in case. In Case hasn't a risen yet.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Read and understand the basic gist. Get the manual, fiddle while looking at the manual i.e. look at the labelled diagram while actually feeling and visually acknowledging each part on the actual object.

When I started photography, I felt incredibly "out of control" just jumping in. I wanted to know the basics of how a camera operates. I also researched how light works, basic composition, basically hoarding information. Then I started experimenting with lighting, exposure, different cameras etc. I was pretty much like this with musical instruments and other devices (except my phone... I don't really care to use the additional gadgets, I only need to use it to call and for gps, that's it). Usually I can't understand how to use something properly, unless I know how it works.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Electronics I'm confident in enough to jump right in. I never read the manual, aside from maybe glancing to see if the product I bought wants me to put the CD in first or plug it in first.

Anything like building desks or something like that and I follow the manual pretty strictly.

·
Registered
830 Posts
If you were to get a camera, or some other device, would you be uncomfortable using it before you read shit loads about it, or would you just jump in and start using it?
Wait a second... are you trying to tell me there are manuals with the thingies too???!! :shocked:

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would only use instruction manuals when I get stuck. They're boring to read as it is. I ended up ruining some electronic stuff I try to mod due to impatience, and having to understand the instructions. I am a doing/visual learner so learning by words is much harder for me, and I end up trying to figure it out myself. My learning disabilities are a big part of why I can't understand and interpret instructions too well on paper.

·
Registered
752 Posts
It depends what I'm reading an instruction manual about. If it involves setting up a fan or something along those lines, than I will follow the manual. I don't like screwing up due to stupidity, which I've done so many times :(

If it's a video game, then, chances are I won't read the manual and will just go on to play the game. Most of the time the game explains anything I need to know and even then I usually know how to play, considering I play mainly one game genre--take a guess as to what genre that is. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I usually shy away from manuals, only to flip through it months later and say to myself "Oh wow it can do THAT?"

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

Second thing. I hate instructions and all. i never read them. fuck them. xD.
I only read the manual if I'm looking for something i can't find by my own means.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'll usually start using it straight away figure as much as I can out and if I get very confused i'll resort to the instruction manual but that doesn't happen often.

·
Registered
15,648 Posts
Usually I'll read the instruction manual if I get stuck on something. Using the camera example I have 3 Olympus cameras and I have yet to read the manuals. I do keep all instruction manuals in my various *piles* of paper that adorn the inside of my home. I keep them, just in case. In Case hasn't a risen yet.
I just remembered something -- my new computer didn't even come w/an instruction manuel -- it came with a *Quick Start Guide* that had all of 5 major steps. I also just remembered something I said about a year and a half ago here @ PerCafe about Intuition.

Intuition is the ability to figure out how things work & go together .... without having to read the Instruction Manuals.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts