Votes: 6 19.4%
  • No [ENFP]

Votes: 25 80.6%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were to get a camera, or some other device, would you be uncomfortable using it before you read shit loads about it, or would you just jump in and start using it?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I only read as much as I need in order to get it to work at all. From that point on, it's all experimenting, baby! :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think it depends on what it is. But I tend to do research before certain things.... yet jump into other things. It is really all over the board for me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Taught myself Photoshop and Quark (yikes, that was a while ago) by sheer puttering around.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Instructions are a back-up plan. :proud:

Haha, Im the same.

Try to use it without reading. If you fail, try again. If you fail again, try again.

Then try to read the instruction manual. Then get bored.

Then just work it out without the manual while you watch Doctor Who or something interesting because it's just too boring to sit around with a camera for any length of time.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Jump straight in first, and if that fails, have a skim through it…looking for the buzz words and stuff. Instruction manuals are boring, you know, if I worked at those companies, making the instruction manuals for products and devices, I would put colour, glitter, and personally, even turn it into a story so that you actually want to read how the cowboy has to learn to put this strange device from the future together. (Camera…) and it just…fell out of the sky, one day, you know? Like a present from God, so that all the other cowboys would get jealous of Treat. Sorry, I hate that name…it’s that guy off that dumb show One Tree Hill.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Never ever do I read an instruction manual first! And if it's for a video game, I either figure out the controls on my own or I don't play the game.. :proud:

·
Registered
526 Posts
..............there are manuals that have instructions? :confused:

Is THAT what all that paper is when I open the packaging?! I thought I was supposed to throw those away. :mellow:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Instruction manuals are perfect for burning.

To be honest, i don't read them, but I don't burn them either. I just keep them in the box. The only manual I've ever read was for my camera, cause I couldn't figure out where to put the battery in, and the manual for the toilet seat. And it turned out, I didn't need it, some jerk just stole all the things you're supposed to use to put it on with.

Reactions: Danse Macabre

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Instruction manuals are perfect for burning.

To be honest, i don't read them, but I don't burn them either. I just keep them in the box. The only manual I've ever read was for my camera, cause I couldn't figure out where to put the battery in, and the manual for the toilet seat. And it turned out, I didn't need it, some jerk just stole all the things you're supposed to use to put it on with.
That happened to me once when I was putting together an office chair, except--instead of some jerk stealing the parts I needed--I put them out of the way and completely forgot they existed for about 20 minutes...

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Sorry my attention span is very bad I wont be able to finish the first page

·
Registered
113 Posts
Y'know, reading the instructions doesn't stick. Doing stuff sticks. By doing, it etches itself into whatever pathways exist to do things more than once. You've primed memory.

Oh, and I, too, am quite good at setting things aside in unfindable places, ostensibly for safekeeping.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I often can figure out what I need from things intuitively and if my intuition tells me I'm about to break something then I'll look at that manuel as a last resort. And no, I rarely if ever break anything. ;)

I also ask my husband or another knowlegeable person if I need help before consulting the manuel. He always asks why I ask him when I have the manuel available to me, and I can only say that it's quicker and I don't have the patience......Reading comprehension is supposedly one of my strongest abilities. A lot of good it does me for as much as I avoid it at times. (Unless it's for pure enjoyment. In that case I read constantly)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts