• No [ISTJ]

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were to get a camera, or some other device, would you be uncomfortable using it before you read a lot about it, or would you just jump in and start using it?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Depends on what it is, really. I never read the instruction manuals for electronics because I can always figure them out faster than sifting through the manual. If it were something I was unfamiliar with like say a part for my car I would have to read the manual to figure out what to do with it.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
If you were to get a camera, or some other device, would you be uncomfortable using it before you read a lot about it, or would you just jump in and start using it?
I read the manual first, line by line, always. I dig small printed booklets.

I'll even read with considerable interest the instruction on a cereal box that might say 'Pour the cereal into a bowl. Add milk. Add sugar or fruit according to preference.'
Manuals captivate me in a bizarre way that I'm unable to explain. There's a certain attraction in doing something in the exact, most ideal way that it's meant to be done that was figured out by experts in the field. I'm not necessarily talking about how to eat cereal ;p

·
Registered
582 Posts
Like the other two said, it depends what it is, but I do find them interesting. I won't use a manual for setting up most electronics, I don't need it.
When it comes to learning those nice hidden features though, like "hold x button down for five seconds to enter advanced mode" I'll read it.

Reactions: niss

·
Banned
160 Posts
depends. If it were a camera I would skip over the manuel, but if I were building some sort of furniture piece that included many screws and tiny pieces that go together then I would definitely read the manuel first.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Unless its assembly, most things in this world are intuitive enough for me to deal with just from observing a little

·
Registered
59 Posts
I always read the manual for things, even if it is something I would easily be able to figure out just by using it. My reasoning is that there may be something in the manual that isn't obvious to most people. That, and I like to read in general. I do this sort of thing for video games as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Would I use one for a camera? Certainly not. But If it was something I didn't have much experience with, then probably - with the exception of video game manuals, because those are just fun to read (what else are you going to do during install? may as well find out all the secrets.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well likely before I made the purchase I'd of already done a bunch of research. So I should have some familiarity with it. Even if it's something I'm decently familiar with though, I'll always read the start up guide and generally follow that.

If there is a separate manual from the start up guide, I won't read the whole manual. Because unless it's something I'm very accustomed to, I need to have some sort of reference when I'm reading/analyzing the information. Otherwise I won't really be able to retain the information

So basically it would go like:

1. Find product I'm interested in.

2. Research said product. Look at reviews, ask people, price shop, etc.

3. After purchase open it up and look at the start up guide(assuming there is one). Read step 1, execute. Read step 2, execute. etc. Obviously if some of the steps are extremely simple like opening the box or whatever, I can move on to other steps.

4. After everything is setup, assuming there's some sort of customization or user interface afterwards, I will likely mess around with it for 15 minutes or so then use the manual as a reference tool. I just want to get it to operate smoothly before I learn every inch of detail about said product.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Depends on what it is, if it is something that I have to assemble, I'll read the manual right from the start. Saves me getting to frustrated. If it is, say some type of electronics, I like to figure out all I can before I read the manual.

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
^ What most everyone else said. Something I can figure out fairly easily? I'll pass on the manual. Something complex? Yes, I'll read it.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Well likely before I made the purchase I'd of already done a bunch of research. So I should have some familiarity with it. Even if it's something I'm decently familiar with though, I'll always read the start up guide and generally follow that.

If there is a separate manual from the start up guide, I won't read the whole manual. Because unless it's something I'm very accustomed to, I need to have some sort of reference when I'm reading/analyzing the information. Otherwise I won't really be able to retain the information

So basically it would go like:

1. Find product I'm interested in.

2. Research said product. Look at reviews, ask people, price shop, etc.

3. After purchase open it up and look at the start up guide(assuming there is one). Read step 1, execute. Read step 2, execute. etc. Obviously if some of the steps are extremely simple like opening the box or whatever, I can move on to other steps.

4. After everything is setup, assuming there's some sort of customization or user interface afterwards, I will likely mess around with it for 15 minutes or so then use the manual as a reference tool. I just want to get it to operate smoothly before I learn every inch of detail about said product.
+1 and I also agree with lakamind
I actually don't like to take a lot of time reading it. I want to get to it fast! I won't read it unless its necessary and only if it can actually benefit me. I think I have brought products and haven't read the manuals. I didn't read my TI84 calculator manual. It was way too long.

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
<-- has decided to be Captain Obvious here:
The OP should add the "it depends" category to the poll.
I didn't place an actual vote because of this.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
<-- has decided to be Captain Obvious here:
The OP should add the "it depends" category to the poll.
I didn't place an actual vote because of this.
Agreed. I read the manual if I am not really familiar with the product. If I am comfortable using the product, then I won't read the manual right away--maybe not ever--instead I'll keep it around as a reference in case I run into problems.

And I'd much rather have a digital version--especially if it is searchable. I hate clutter.

·
Registered
324 Posts
It would matter what you are doing, with some things the steps can be very detailed if you grew up dealing with a vcr in any way, to program some of the stuff on it like the time and other things can be a bit frustrating.

Reminds me when a family member got a new phone and was figuring out some new functions on it. They asked me for help and i asked to see the manual. Whoever wrote the manual did an awful job. In the section for ringtones it jumped to how to download them instead of telling you how to at least find where they are on the phone itself!

·
Registered
335 Posts
yes, i read the manual thoroughly long before i make the purchase. i want to know everything about a product.

sometimes people tell me 'i can't get this to work', or 'what's wrong with this thing?' etc. and i always say 'did you read the manual?', 'what does the manual say?'. then i get 'the manual? who reads the manual?' :blushed: (i do)

·
Registered
426 Posts
I like the items that come with "quick guides" and the instruction manual. I gots me a new gadget an I wanna play with it NOW!! Flick through the short intro document to get an overall idea. Start playing with it and then it's either read through the instruction manual afterwards, or "I want to do X" and search for that particular thing.

If it's setting up something (like digital set top box for TV) I go through the manual step-by-step.

If it's constructing something (like furniture) I count out all the bits, layout all the tools and follow the instructions step-by-step. Sometimes, the instructions aren't helpful and you have to guess... :dry: ...but trial and error should NOT be part of this process! That's the whole point of creating and including the instructions! :angry:

Reactions: niss and Sela

·
Registered
125 Posts
I really enjoy reading manuals :blushed:
If it's electronic, I normally read the manual while checking out the different settings. This way I know the extent of its capabilities, and if I need a function I have it memorised instead of digging out the manual x months later. (The exception to this was my graphics calculator :crazy:)
If it's assembly, I tick off all the parts and follow the instructions exactly. Trial and error is a last resort!
If it's something completely mundane that really shouldn't need instructions at all... What can I say? I like reading!

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I will read the manual first

1 - 20 of 20 Posts