Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had, for as long as I can recall, this habit where I will put myself down if I feel I've said or done something really stupid. I do this so that others will not insult me, and it seems to work as a strategy to repel others' insults. I find my own insults against myself hurt less than those from other people. I still end up feeling hurt, but for some reason, other peoples' comments are worse, and to prevent that, my inner critic goes into overdrive. So, I may be able to escape others' insults (sometimes, though not always), but end up with plenty of my own.

Anyone else who does this? I can't be the only one.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm not a One, but I do this all the time. I was in drama club in High School and I would always immediately say "I know it's not cool to be in Drama club" or things like that to insult myself before someone else could. Any time I fail at something or make a mistake I joke about it before someone else has a chance to.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
I have had, for as long as I can recall, this habit where I will put myself down if I feel I've said or done something really stupid. I do this so that others will not insult me, and it seems to work as a strategy to repel others' insults. I find my own insults against myself hurt less than those from other people. I still end up feeling hurt, but for some reason, other peoples' comments are worse, and to prevent that, my inner critic goes into overdrive. So, I may be able to escape others' insults (sometimes, though not always), but end up with plenty of my own.

Anyone else who does this? I can't be the only one.
Preempting blame with honesty about your own faults is known to be pretty normal for 1s. When helping someone else with a problem I'll normally say "I'm not quite perfect myself in [area of interest], but I've noticed you've been having many problems so let me give a suggestion." I normally don't get too down on my own performance because I try to think and ensure that I carry a realistic standard for myself with the understanding of a learning curve. The inner critic with me normally says "things aren't ideal they would look much better if you had prepared better" but then that leads me into a thought process and I realize I must change very much about my life to perform better, so it doesn't always phase me too much.

I become more stressed than emotional in judgement of myself. I believe I'm a SO1 which Naranjo speaks of, so I don't always notice my faults too quickly, but I try to ensure that my current position is correct by my measurements.

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tend to do this all the time, although I did more when I was younger. Now I don't do it as much because I'm finding a measure of peace within myself (e.g. telling my self-critic to STFU).
I like that idea (telling the inner critic to STFU). For me, it's about trying to turn the Inner Critic into the Voice of Reason. And sometimes, I get flashes of reason (I never used to, for the most part). When I learned I was a 1, the Inner Critic briefly became the Voice of Reason, and it basically said to me, gently but firmly, "Listen, you. You *are* a perfectionist. It isn't just *a* problem, it's *the problem* for you. You need to keep this in mind. You will suffer more if you don't." So that was a hard message. But it was a useful one, unlike the mostly useless messages I get when the Inner Critic takes over (i.e. much of the time). Although, even they are useful, in a way- they show me what's wrong, and how I can possibly make things right.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Self deprecation is how I soften any blows from potential criticism. Nothing is worse than someone catching me off guard. By making fun of myself I find it easier. Plus I feel it will make people less likely to criticise me in any way as it comes off as if I am not bothered about it and that it's not one of my weaknesses. However, I do find that this has it pluses as seeing the funny side can help me be kinder to myself.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Self deprecation is how I soften any blows from potential criticism. Nothing is worse than someone catching me off guard. By making fun of myself I find it easier. Plus I feel it will make people less likely to criticise me in any way as it comes off as if I am not bothered about it and that it's not one of my weaknesses. However, I do find that this has it pluses as seeing the funny side can help me be kinder to myself.
Sums me up, pretty much.

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also feel this way- like being nasty to myself first shields me from the blow, somehow. It is much harder to take criticism when I don't use this defense mechanism.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I'm not a 1, but I do this, too, at times. I'm pretty aware of my flaws and shortcomings in the first place, and after being humiliated publicly by a few people, I've come to realize it's probably better to deflect potential, oncoming insults about my character or how I look by preemptively owning up to my perceived flaws and imperfections.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
I do this when I know I've screwed up and have to apologize. That way I'm not emotionally invested after I've apologized. I'm not hung up on their response (or lack of it).

Reactions: stardeep

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes I do this thing most often than not, I find it more convenient to insult myself right before a person does; Helps them save their breaths, and gives me a valuable insight of what I did wrong.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I do this sometimes for the reasons marlowe stated. But also I really am at the point where I'm trying to work on my own crap.

because of that, I feel I'm in a logical loop (?) -- since ones do this generally to deflect, does that make me weak or irritating when I try to self confront? :/

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Exactly this.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I relate to lowering expectations. I do insult myself but I've noticed that I only do it when I think I truly deserved it, or when giving it a funny twist to soften the edges of the issue, laugh a little. I'm generally more in the explanations corner: "Yeah I know how to do it, but circumstances had me shift my focus".

Usually I'm okay with receiving insults - I know people can heat up, or the thing is they don't know me so I just let it slide or mouth back. Not gonna take it or get worked up over something that someone who doesn't know me said, or when they're just raging blindly out of anger.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yes. I do this. I think it's fairly normal, especially for people who lack self-confidence. The perfectionism that characterizes Ones probably makes it more pronounced in us, though.

Self-deprecatory remarks are also cultural and can be inherited. It is a normal part of some people's upbringing to criticize themselves and their faults as a form of modesty or humility.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts