Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose the integrating 5 would look healthier, but can anyone provide insight into their characteristics (with examples from life, preferably)?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I don't think there is such a thing as a line of integration or disintegration (silly arrows arbitrarily saying one direction is healthy and the other unhealthy) so I'll restate it in terms that make more sense to me.

unhealthy 8 moving to 5 - I think of Sadaam when the US army found him hiding in that hole. There was no way his 8 aggressiveness would work in that situation so it was a withdrawal into hiding, a sort of biding one's time until the 8 can re-assert itself under different circumstances.

healthy 5 moving to 8 - I noticed you type yourself as 5. Just think of a time when you were done analyzing the situation and felt confident just stepping into action to make things happen.

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think there is such a thing as a line of integration or disintegration (silly arrows arbitrarily saying one direction is healthy and the other unhealthy) so I'll restate it in terms that make more sense to me.

unhealthy 8 moving to 5 - I think of Sadaam when the US army found him hiding in that hole. There was no way his 8 aggressiveness would work in that situation so it was a withdrawal into hiding, a sort of biding one's time until the 8 can re-assert itself under different circumstances.

healthy 5 moving to 8 - I noticed you type yourself as 5. Just think of a time when you were done analyzing the situation and felt confident just stepping into action to make things happen.
As a 5, how do you know when you're moving to 8 in addition to what you said already?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
As a 5, how do you know when you're moving to 8 in addition to what you said already?
For me, I step into action without analyzing. Either the analyzing is all done and it's time to just act or the analyzing becomes irrelevant and it's time to just act. There's a confidence and certainty that just takes me in that direction. Looking at the situation and just knowing what needs to happen and pushing in that direction. There's also an energy pushing behind that. It's often when that energy subsides that I fall back into analysis again. A worse stall is when I start to doubt that the direction I chose was the right one and then the analysis takes over again. Think of 5 as the navigator and 8 as the pilot. The navigator can't actually take you anywhere. The pilot may take you someplace you haven't planned on.

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For me, I step into action without analyzing. Either the analyzing is all done and it's time to just act or the analyzing becomes irrelevant and it's time to just act. There's a confidence and certainty that just takes me in that direction. Looking at the situation and just knowing what needs to happen and pushing in that direction. There's also an energy pushing behind that. It's often when that energy subsides that I fall back into analysis again. A worse stall is when I start to doubt that the direction I chose was the right one and then the analysis takes over again. Think of 5 as the navigator and 8 as the pilot. The navigator can't actually take you anywhere. The pilot may take you someplace you haven't planned on.
For non trivial decisions, how much analyzing is too long for you (how much time)? Over time, did you feel that you became more comfortable with uncertainty and making gut decisions? Or was it more like a realization that happened at some point in life?

Apparently we have a default or anchor state on the healthy-unhealthy scale (1-7) but we oscillate about our default level all the time. Do you think the pilot becomes more sure of himself as you get healthier and/or older? Or can he still take control in the less healthy levels, taking you to a weird place?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
For non trivial decisions, how much analyzing is too long for you (how much time)?
I don't have that kind of conscious control over how much time to analyze. The 8 energy just kind of kicks in (it doesn't have that same sort of analytical reasoning that 5 has where I'd be aware of that sort of thing). It's a much more immediate impulse than the future preparation of type 5.

Over time, did you feel that you became more comfortable with uncertainty and making gut decisions?
Those two things seem mutually exclusive of each other. Jumping into action often happens out of certainty. I think it has to do with a narrowed set of choices. For instance, if it's narrowed down to A or B, the certainty of the decision and subsequently the action becomes much easier and more immediate. If I'm in the type 5 analysis, the inaction often comes from the multitude of possibilities and the attempt to understand the impact of them all (I guess this would be like playing chess and trying to anticipate all the moves based on a particular action - it really slows down the action).

Apparently we have a default or anchor state on the healthy-unhealthy scale (1-7) but we oscillate about our default level all the time. Do you think the pilot becomes more sure of himself as you get healthier and/or older? Or can he still take control in the less healthy levels, taking you to a weird place?
Sounds like you took that analogy a little different from what I intended. The navigator (type 5) is constantly updating his navigation because his location is continually changing (navigation is always relative to the changing environment). The pilot's task (type 8) is much more straightforward. He already has the confidence and the skill. He's just looking for something to lock onto and move toward. The pilot can choose to ignore the navigator and fly by the seat of his pants (trusting his gut instinct more) and of course that can win the day or get him into trouble.

I sense that you're looking for a different answer from what I just gave. If so, you'll need to rephrase it so I can understand it better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts