Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you noticed yourself subconsciously (and consciously for some) despising/judging/disregarding those you deem to be less intelligent than yourself without objective reason, sometimes despite their attempts to become more competent?

By intelligence I mean any form of intelligence, not just academic, logic, creative intelligence etc.

It seems most people prefer to avoid questioning their intelligence or lack thereof (rather, they prefer to insist on their intelligence).
Are the following possible ways of compensating for a perceived lack of intelligence:

1. By accepting their state and simply allowing themselves to be lead by others who they perceive to be more suitable (how can you blame them if they're incapable of making the right choice?).
  2. By becoming open-minded and acceptive to all possibilities, concepts and results, as not to make decisions they deem themselves incapable of ascertaining the "correct" decisions to, so to as not to become fixed in their state and being close-minded.
  3. By attempting to re-reaffirm their intelligence by inductive learning (learning by repetition) as to alter their behaviour and response.
  4. By refraining from participating in intellectual discussions etc. they perceive to be beyond them as not to encumber with their perceived incompetence.

It may be apparent to which one of those categories I consider myself to fall under.
(#2, it shouldn't be apparent unless you've analysed all my posts on the forum, )
My understanding may seem naive/ignorant/amateurish, so please try to help me understand.

The main questions: How do you view those you perceive to be less intelligent, in any form, than yourself? How would you say is the best way to compensate for this lack, if compensation is necessary or justified at all? Is acknowledgement of intelligence deficiencies an unproductive option, and so it's better to be delusional? why even bother to try?

This post's purpose is not to ridicule or rebuke anyone nor is it so as to make absolute conclusions about the nature of intelligence.

It goes without saying that I'm still uncertain as to whether I should've posted this here. Is this the "right" place to question such things? Will such blatant admission of stupidity be seen as an attempt to gain sympathy and then boost my supposedly fragile ego with the concern I'm so obviously trying to coerce out of you? Am I effectively announcing that I suffer from an inferiority, or even a superiority ,complex?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
The main questions: How do you view those you perceive to be less intelligent, in any form, than yourself? How would you say is the best way to compensate for this lack, if compensation is necessary or justified at all? Is acknowledgement of intelligence deficiencies an unproductive option, and so it's better to be delusional? why even bother to try?
I used to judge others this way. I may still sometimes, but I don't think so. The issue was, to me, that I couldn't handle people who made decisions subjectively. I ended up judging them as manipulative in one way or another.

Since then I've come to see both the beauty and necessity of people who, for example, use Fi :) Hopefully I don't judge others now, but who am I to say?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Whenever this starts happening to much to me, I am very quickly reminded in some situation that I myself don't know a lot about life or a skill. For instance, I would be helpless out in the forest while other people I know would be able to survive with ease.

That said, I am against anti-intellectualism. It is one thing to not know anything about a subject. It is another thing to not know anything about a subject, but think you are still just as qualified to discuss it and pass judgement on it as someone who has studied it. Pretty much summed up by this quote:

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” - Isaac Asimov

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Since you don't choose your level of intelligence in whatever form it comes in, I don't mind unintelligent people as long as they are willing to learn. But it would be arrogant to consider oneself devoid of stupidity because everyone has at least one area in life which makes them look like complete idiots.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
Yes, if they're stupid, they're stupid. If they're trying to remedy that, that is commendable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts