Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi! :happy: I think Twos aren't very active in this forum compared to many other types... :rolleyes: I'm a bit more introverted Two and at the moment a bit tired, maybe that explains my activity here to some extent. Anyway, I think I'm an intellectual person... I've always been good at learning new things in school and at the moment I'm studying at the university. I've even started to do my dissertation. Well, I don't know if I ever finish it but I've been told to be good at it. I'd like to do my part to help the world to move into a positive direction and that's why I like doing research but I still prefer helping others more personally and I don't think I will be researcher after all... :happy:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi! :happy: I think Twos aren't very active in this forum compared to many other types... :rolleyes: I'm a bit more introverted Two and at the moment a bit tired, maybe that explains my activity here to some extent. Anyway, I think I'm an intellectual person... I've always been good at learning new things in school and at the moment I'm studying at the university. I've even started to do my dissertation. Well, I don't know if I ever finish it but I've been told to be good at it. I'd like to do my part to help the world to move into a positive direction and that's why I like doing research but I still prefer helping others more personally and I don't think I will be researcher after all... :happy:
I assumed as much, in fact the main reason why I posted the second comment was to prevent this thread from being buried before some Twos came along and answered.

·
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧
5,108 Posts
I think Type Two is probably the most under-typed in the Enneagram. There are probably a lot of Twos on here, they just don't think they're Twos. :p

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I think Type Two is probably the most under-typed in the Enneagram. There are probably a lot of Twos on here, they just don't think they're Twos. :p
Might be true! But it's a shame because at least I've been feeling much better after realizing I'm actually a Two... I even wrote about Twos as children here but no-one seems to notice. I wish there were more Twos here, snif...

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
I knew someone who types as an INTJ and 2. He's probably one of the brightest people I've known with an incredible set of skills by creating techno music and sounds from the level of a computer programmer, aiding businesses in using technology, DJ'ing on weekends for raves. He' a pretty astonishing person and was probably better than most at compartmentalizing his emotions so that he would be very sensitive to those close in his personal life, and just keep a good friendly working relationship with everyone else.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
@Wake : I am EXTREMELY skeptical of such a combination. It is far more likely that one or both of those types is incorrect.
I agree... I've shared my opinion about Thinking preferences and Twos already here. Somehow they seem impossible to co-exist if you think about the true nature of a Two. But I could be wrong, of course...

@zallla : I noticed. :laughing:
Great! Didn't comment or thank, though :proud: Anyway, where are all the Twos??? Out there helping others? I tend to help beginners here in PerC, I help them figure out their type, it's such a pleasure :tongue:

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
I knew someone who types as an INTJ and 2. He's probably one of the brightest people I've known with an incredible set of skills by creating techno music and sounds from the level of a computer programmer, aiding businesses in using technology, DJ'ing on weekends for raves. He' a pretty astonishing person and was probably better than most at compartmentalizing his emotions so that he would be very sensitive to those close in his personal life, and just keep a good friendly working relationship with everyone else.
an INTJ 2? now I've seen everything =)

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
an INTJ 2? now I've seen everything =)
Yeah, sounds a bit hum, but then again its not impossible, especially if they have a well developed Fi. Some may consider an ENFP 5 or 8 not likely either ;)...so...it all boils down to the individual, not the type.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The main reason why many people don't think a T can be a Two or why FJ's can't be Fives, or NF's be Eights, is because of the descriptions. Instead of people paying attention to the core motivations, basic fears, etc., they read the half-assed descriptions and think that's how everyone in the type acts which couldn't be further from the truth. Anyone who really knows the enneagram knows that the descriptions for all the types are greatly flawed. They make 1's look like the church lady, 2's look like pussies, 3's look like manipulative douchebags, and so on and so forth.

If you say a T can't be a Two, you're saying that there isn't a T in the world that doesn't care about being wanted or loved or doesn't want to give love to others. If you say an FJ can't be a Five, you're saying that all FJ's don't mind being incompetent or useless. If you say an NF can't be an Eight, you're saying that NF's don't care whether they're being controlled or not and will gladly follow anyone even if they have no respect for them; and as an INFP I can tell you that if I perceive that someone is trying to control me in some fashion or do something against my beliefs, I will damn well stand up for myself and what I think is right.

Another way to look at it is to compare Twos and Threes. How come it's difficult to believe that a T can't want to help another over themselves, yet we can believe that T's will bend down to others' perceptions just to be popular? You can easily see how both could be considered "illogical", yet for some reason being a Thinking Three is fine, but a Thinking Two is not. The fact of the matter is that everyone, no matter whether they're a T or an F is human, not a robot. Even though T's are able to separate their emotions from situations more often than a F, it doesn't mean that they're devoid of any sort of feeling for others or even that they can't be influenced by others even if they do have irrational thoughts and behaviors.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The main reason why many people don't think a T can be a Two or why FJ's can't be Fives, or NF's be Eights, is because of the descriptions. Instead of people paying attention to the core motivations, basic fears, etc., they read the half-assed descriptions and think that's how everyone in the type acts which couldn't be further from the truth. Anyone who really knows the enneagram knows that the descriptions for all the types are greatly flawed. They make 1's look like the church lady, 2's look like pussies, 3's look like manipulative douchebags, and so on and so forth.

If you say a T can't be a Two, you're saying that there isn't a T in the world that doesn't care about being wanted or loved or doesn't want to give love to others. If you say an FJ can't be a Five, you're saying that all FJ's don't mind being incompetent or useless. If you say an NF can't be an Eight, you're saying that NF's don't care whether they're being controlled or not and will gladly follow anyone even if they have no respect for them; and as an INFP I can tell you that if I perceive that someone is trying to control me in some fashion or do something against my beliefs, I will damn well stand up for myself and what I think is right.

Another way to look at it is to compare Twos and Threes. How come it's difficult to believe that a T can't want to help another over themselves, yet we can believe that T's will bend down to others' perceptions just to be popular? You can easily see how both could be considered "illogical", yet for some reason being a Thinking Three is fine, but a Thinking Two is not. The fact of the matter is that everyone, no matter whether they're a T or an F is human, not a robot. Even though T's are able to separate their emotions from situations more often than a F, it doesn't mean that they're devoid of any sort of feeling for others or even that they can't be influenced by others even if they do have irrational thoughts and behaviors.
No one is saying that it is impossible for a 2 to have a Thinking preference. Also, I only see YOU assuming that all people who want to be loved are 2s. The dominant argument here from most has been that it is highly UNLIKELY that one's casual observances of a friend are proof that they are in fact a Type 2 INTJ.

For someone criticizing others for making assumptions you certainly make quite a few yourself. Setting aside all of our admittedly subjective theories, I recommend that you consult the empirical data. http://personalitycafe.com/articles/18288-mbti-enneagram-correlation-according-personalitycafe-data.html You may notice that out of the over 100 INTJs surveyed not one was a Type 2. Again, this is not to say that they don't exist, however my assertion still stands that finding a Type 2 INTJ is highly improbable.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You say I'm making assumptions, yet you are the one who's saying that Wake is just making a casual observation of his friend. Do you know how long they've been friends or how much he knows about this friend? I'm choosing to trust Wake's observations because I don't know how deep his relationship is with his friend and I know he actually knows something about typological systems so he probably knows what he's talking about. And yes, an INTJ 2 is rare, I'm not arguing that, but some of the responses from some of these guys make it sound like it's impossible to be a Thinking 2 when in fact, it's not.

Also I'm a bit hesitant to trust that data 100%. As Liontiger said in that thred, there are a number of biases towards introverted intuitives as well as inaccuracies since there were some members who tested themselves using online tests, and like I said before, most people just read the descriptions instead of focusing on each type's core motivation and weaknesses. Had I been a member of this site when that data was gathered, I'd have been an INFP 4 since I resonated so much with the 4 descriptions, yet not at all with the core motivations.

Again, I'm not saying that Thinking Twos are as common as Feeling Twos, much less an INTJ 2, but with the way some people are saying it, it's like it's impossible to have these traits overlap.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
@leadintea , thanks, I appreciate your point here. However, I don't definitely think that people having Thinking preference "doesn't care about being wanted or loved or doesn't want to give love to others". First of all, most of us have some qualities of most Enneagram types, we're human. And Twos aren't definitely the only ones who need love! The fact that people need love is also human.

In my opinion type Two is developed in such conditions that the idea of Two not having a Thinking preference is contradictory. We have to remember that not only the conditions predispose us to use some coping style, also our genetics and inclinations (like temperament which is biological) have their effect. As I said, in my opinion type Two is having a certain background and a battle to be loved and it wouldn't be a type Two if it wasn't someone very aware of others emotions and needs or someone very sensitive, thin-skinned. It's in Twos nature to be people-oriented, not issue-oriented. It's their survival strategy, to be loved by others. And you don't really take a strategy like that if you aren't prone to recognize what it takes to be loved, what it takes to make others happy. And that's just much more like a Feeling preference than a Thinking one. Type Two style is developed in the early years of life when you would think that the preferred functions matter most.

Sorry, I just see things like this :happy: I think it's both Twos' weakness and blessing to be so aware of others emotions and needs, it's just something we have.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Dr. Drew is probably the most intellectual 2 I can think of in my experience. He does a lot of hands-on, but also has to deal with much theory behind his profession because it is in the realm of psychology and medicine.

·
Registered
254 Posts
INFJ 2w1 here. I suppose I would call myself intellectual; at least I've loved science since I was in elementary school and I've always loved learning almost regardless of subject area. Give me an interesting piece of information that forces me to think differently and my mind will soak it up like a sponge :)

As far as pursuits, right now I'm finishing up my mechanical engineering BS plus physics minor, and then I'm going to study plasma physics for PhD. I think I want to be a professor, something about being able to help people learn while expanding my own mind through research seems appealing. (as I re-read the 2w1 description I think it's because it satisfies the paradox of pairing objective perfectionism and altruism)

·
MOTM Jan 2010
2,988 Posts
I'd say I'm pretty intellectual :) I mean, for a long time I thought I was a Thinker. In terms of what I like to engage in intellectually, it usually centers around psychology and sociology. I get really nerdy about those subjects haha. I also love school in general, so that includes a wide variety of topics. I like to watch the science channel, particularly those shows about astronomy and evolution. You won't, however, see me doing too many in-depth analyses for their own sake. I have to be really motivated to do that, and it has to be a topic that I'm interested in. I just like to explore existing knowledge and make general applications.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'd say I'm pretty intellectual :) I mean, for a long time I thought I was a Thinker. In terms of what I like to engage in intellectually, it usually centers around psychology and sociology. I get really nerdy about those subjects haha. I also love school in general, so that includes a wide variety of topics. I like to watch the science channel, particularly those shows about astrology and evolution. You won't, however, see me doing too many in-depth analyses for their own sake. I have to be really motivated to do that, and it has to be a topic that I'm interested in. I just like to explore existing knowledge and make general applications.
Oh dear... I hope you mean astronomy (astrology isn't a science, but it's probably on the history channel and the like anyway ;) )

1 - 20 of 62 Posts