Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about someone and trying to figure out what type they might be, when I thought about each function individually, I thought they could be INFP. Now I know that type doesn't mean you're ridiculously similar but I feel like because of this website, I assume most INFPs are intelligent or at least more intelligent than the average. Well, anyway... I remember thinking they couldn't be INFP because they liked country music, said "aint" all the time and just aren't very intelligent.

Do you base a lot of your ideas about types from the way people behave on this forum and if you do, do you think that can make you assume that everyone of your type, or that specific type is like that?

If you think about it, I think a website like this is going to draw in people on the more intelligent side of the spectrum so it makes it difficult to really figure out how the population as a whole adheres to the types. Is there a type that is less intelligent and individual than another? I sort of don't think so. I think intelligence is a personal thing.

This is a bit of a ramble, but what do you think?

Who wants to claim her? Could she be INFP? :tongue: I mean, everyone has to sort of fit in somewhere, right?
YouTube - chrisbordeaux's Channel

Reactions: refugee and Lad

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
damn, i love that song, Sunny D and Rum (Yum Yum)....

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
I used to complain that mistyped INFPs were making INFPs look bad, but the reality is it's a mixture of that and stupid INFPs.

ESFPs/ESTPs/ISTPs/ISFPs/ENTPs are the only type I can tolerate if they're really dumb.

I wouldn't regard a lot of the INFPs as intelligent people, then again I could be wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXiapavbfVM

This woman is extremely intelligent, you just don't see it :D

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used to complain that mistyped INFPs were making INFPs look bad, but the reality is it's a mixture of that and stupid INFPs.

ESFPs/ESTPs/ISTPs/ISFPs/ENTPs are the only type I can tolerate if they're really dumb.

I wouldn't regard a lot of the INFPs as intelligent people, then again I could be wrong.

YouTube - Gives You Hell [Preview] - Hot Walmart Babe

This woman is extremely intelligent, you just don't see it :D
Well, I wasn't meaning it really just about INFPs and I'm not talking about earth shatteringly genius people either. I think all of the INFPs I've seen on here are intelligent in their own way and many of them intelligent by a standard definition.

To be blunt, there are a lot of really stupid people in the world. And I'd say most people on this website in general, of any type are intelligent comparatively. I think it's weird for every type to admit there are stupid, mediocre, boring people that have the same functions as them and that's more what I was getting at. Also the fact that because people who are more inquisitive and intelligent than not are going to come on this site in order to learn more about their type, it may be strange to think of an INFP, or a **** in the general population who isn't the brightest. I guess it was slightly unclear.

And I don't know her. She just gave off a nice vibe for what I was trying to say and I thought it was a funny video.:tongue:

·
Registered
751 Posts
In all honesty I wouldn't blame NTs for perceiving us as stupid, we do use our Te thinking function in a very inefficient manner. However what leads us and guides us instead takes a certain acquired taste which many NTs in my experience don't find time or room to appreciate. I believe that our feeling and value system have a certain intelligence or wisdom of their own. I think this is true for everybody, the skills and strengths of most people don't receive the recognition or appreciation that they could do. S types tend to get some bad rap from my experience (often from N types as well) but if this was a world where the majority were N and the minority S then they would be hailed as the intelligent, the creative and the geniuses, bringing the gifts of practicality and concrete, present-orientated perceptions of the world. The definition of who or what an intellect is I believe an entirely subjective one.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Honestly, I tend to only see my PerC observations on the subject of types as valid if they are also supported by real life experience. This is because the circumstances that would cause someone to be posting on the PerC boards in the first place are unique to a certain segment of the population, and thus not a full sample of all the types.

As far as intelligence, officially, here is what is known about intelligence (IQ) and MBTI:
* Other personality traits being the same, an iNtuitive person (one who grasps patterns and seeks possibilities) is 27 times more likely to have a high IQ than a Sensing person (one who focuses on sensory details and the here-and-now).

* Again, other traits being the same, an Introverted person is 8 times more likely to have a high IQ than one who is Extraverted; a Thinking (logic-oriented) person is 2.5 times more likely to have a high IQ than a Feeling (people-oriented) person; and a Judging person (one who seeks closure) is about twice as likely to have a high IQ than a Perceiving person (one who likes to keep his options open).

(From: Liberty Corner: IQ and Personality)
To summarize, higher intelligence is associated with Introversion, iNtuition, Thinking, and Judging.

I also found this ranking of average IQ scores (the overall average presumably being 100, if it's a valid IQ test):
1. INTJ - 120
2. INTP - 118
3. INFJ - 115
4. INFP - 113
5. ENTJ - 104
6. ENTP - 104
7. ENFJ - 100
8. ENFP - 100
9. ISTJ - 95
10. ISTP - 95
11. ISFJ - 93
12. ISFP - 93
13. ESTJ - 92
14. ESTP - 92
15. ESFJ - 90
16. ESFP - 90

(From: MBTI IQ Rankings Thoughts of an Errant Mind)

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I think that might be off because a lot of people who are introverts by type standards aren't introverts psychologically speaking...same thing with extroverts. Or some, atleast.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I think that might be off because a lot of people who are introverts by type standards aren't introverts psychologically speaking...same thing with extroverts.
Wait, what?

(1) What is the difference between "psychological" introversion/extroversion and "type" introversion/extroversion?
(2) Why would you think the results would be off because of that? They're only based on MBTI typing, and that is all they claim.

·
11,928 Posts
Wait, what?

(1) What is the difference between "psychological" introversion/extroversion and "type" introversion/extroversion?
(2) Why would you think the results would be off because of that? They're only based on MBTI typing, and that is all they claim.
It's the same reason why some people who have dominant functions that are extroverted score as introverts and some people with dominant functions that are introverted score as extroverts. I think they are off because what I've read has stated that introverts by psychological standards are more likely to have a higher IQ than average. MBTI tests reference real extroversion and introversion, I think. But not introversion and extroversion by Jungian terms.

·
11,928 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Alright, I still don't understand the relevance to this thread, though.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I agree that PerC gives a pretty biased picture of any type. I mean, if you think about it, most of the people here post in complete sentences, good grammar, not just textspeak, etc. So I agree that you have to be careful about using PerC as a basis for what any type is like.

·
11,928 Posts
Alright, I still don't understand the relevance to this thread, though.
Because those stats are referring to how introversion and extroversion are looked at in that article rather than how they are looked at in terms of cognitive functions.

·
MOTM February 2014
4,787 Posts
I was thinking about someone and trying to figure out what type they might be, when I thought about each function individually, I thought they could be INFP. Now I know that type doesn't mean you're ridiculously similar but I feel like because of this website, I assume most INFPs are intelligent or at least more intelligent than the average. Well, anyway... I remember thinking they couldn't be INFP because they liked country music, said "aint" all the time and just aren't very intelligent.

Do you base a lot of your ideas about types from the way people behave on this forum and if you do, do you think that can make you assume that everyone of your type, or that specific type is like that?
Things like speech patterns and music tastes aren't indicative of type. Country music is pretty good and I speak in very casual English despite my being INFP and having an IQ of about 117, give or take a few points. Interests and such are often a cause of how and where one grew up.

If you went on forum bias, then yes, you might think that INFPs are "more intelligent" than most people. Then again, you might also think they're highly expressive and morose. Which, as far as I can tell, isn't always the case. There's INFPs who are very Thinking-like and others who act more like Judgers or Sensors. There's the enneagrams--the Type 4 INFP is the more stereotypical while the Type 1 INFP will present themselves differently.

As far as I know, the closest to meeting an INFP is meeting a suspected ISFP at college, so I have a hard time applying "biases." But avoiding them is a very good idea since half of them aren't even true and the other half are only true sometimes.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Because those stats are referring to how introversion and extroversion are looked at in that article rather than how they are looked at in terms of cognitive functions.
I still don't understand how that is relevant to intelligence or the thread.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts