Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your opinion, what makes a person intelligent?

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
I honestly consider "intelligent" to be a subjective term.

Critical thinking and reasoning are the main things I use to consider someone "intelligent". If someone can't take information and act on it they aren't "intelligent" in my eyes. You read about the Solar System, but if all you do is just spit out the information you read or just paraphrase it that doesn't show you actually know anything about the Solar System.

For the sake of it lets go over everything that SHOULD NOT be used to consider "intelligence."

Grades: It is really easy for people to just not do the work even if they are capable of doing it. Most school work nowadays is just regurgitating text book and lecture information instead of actually learning.

I.Q.: It is only a measure of your ability to learn and process information. I really don't consider it a way to accurately "measure intelligence."

Grammar/Sentence Structure: Not everyone can convey their ideas eloquently. I have met many "intelligent" people who could barely spell. They did all their thinking and discussing through their words.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I honestly consider "intelligent" to be a subjective term.

Critical thinking and reasoning is the main things I use to consider someone "intelligent". If someone can't take information and act on it they aren't "intelligent" in my eyes. You read about the Solar System, but if all you do is just spit out the information you read or just paraphrase it that doesn't show you actually know anything about the Solar System.

For the sake of it lets go over everything that SHOULD NOT be used to consider "intelligence."

Grades: It is really easy for people to just not do the work even if they are capable of doing it. Most school work nowadays is just regurgitating text book and lecture information instead of actually learning. Many practices in our school system don't benefit

I.Q.: It is only a measure of your ability to learn and process information. I really don't consider it a way to accurately "measure intelligence."

Grammar/Sentence Structure: Not everyone can convey their ideas eloquently. I have met many "intelligent" people who could barely spell. They did all their thinking and discussing through their words.
I think they can be considered to be types of intelligence, but certainly are not the be all end all.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
The ability to fully understand the position of another, emotionally or intellectually.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Everyone is intelligent in their own way. :)

·
Registered
745 Posts
Grades in school (high school at least) are no accurate way to determine one's intelligence. Anybody can get all A's and B's if they simply work hard enough, and to me a report card says nothing. I got straight A's in 3 classes this past year, and C's and D's in the remaining 4. Why? Because I only excel in courses that I find interesting or relevant to my future.

Like CynicalGiant said, critical thinking and reasoning are a huge part of intelligence. I know plenty of bookworms who don't have any sort of knowledge on society or issues, whereas I could talk/write about for hours on end. This isn't to say they aren't intelligent, I just feel like they don't dab into the more intellectual and argumentative side of intelligence (if that makes sense.) A lot of people tell me I know a lot about nothing, but I only talk about things I am at least fairly knowledgeable about. I don't talk for the sake of talking, I think that's foolish.

·
Registered
817 Posts
The way in which one conceptualizes intelligence greatly influences the way he/she tries to assess it. I'm not sure there is an objective answer. The ability to reason, solve problems, learn quickly, learn from experience, comprehend complex ideas, among other things, is generally associated with intelligence.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
There are so many types of intelligence. I haven't taken an IQ test, but I'm pretty sure I'm average. I was pretty good at school, I just struggled with sitting still and listening. I preferred science, gym, history. My phys ed teacher tested me on spatial intelligence
once after we did an orienteering section and said mine was extremely high. I suppose that's why I've never experienced being lost.

I think intelligence is whatever the pers
on values as intelligence. If you don't value memorization, you won't consider displays of it intelligent. If you don't value street smarts, you won't see it as intelligent.

·
Registered
938 Posts
"Smart" is subjective, Intelligence is not. Intelligence is mostly correlated with IQ/the natural ability to gather information and to become a highly functional human being. It's high state of cognitive development, having the ability to think beyond solid/black and white thinking, but also the ability to think abstractly. It's also can can be attributed with high problem-solving skills.

·
Registered
16,307 Posts
The more curiosity you have the more intelligent you are. The more you realize how insignificant you are the more intelligent you are. The better you are at understanding other peoples' subjective points of view the more intelligent you are. Smart criminals don't get caught for all reasons stated before.

Reactions: Just_Some_Guy
1 - 20 of 24 Posts