Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would cause an otherwise smart person to make themselves out to be dumb? I notice I do this sometimes, but I've never really thought why. Is it like, I have some kind of misconception that people are just trying to show off when they try to sound smart, so I pretend like I don't know things so as to not come off that way? Do I not value knowledge?

Can anyone else relate? Maybe you can explain it better than I can. I'm having a hell of a hard time trying to articulate my problem here.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Well I guess I can be that way, but it mainly happens when someone is explaining something to me that I already know, I just don't want to interrupt them so I just nod along. Other than that I don't think I do that. If you mean like generally not stating facts about stuff all the time I don't do that much either.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I often feign ignorance about things. I just can't stand it when people give me looks like "how in the world did you know that?" or when they tell me how smart they think I am.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I have some kind of misconception that people are just trying to show off when they try to sound smart
A lot of people have that misconception and you're probably making yourself appear like an idiot so you don't offend them. Some people are so insecure about their own intelligence that they refuse to believe that others are smarter. Instead of recognizing a broader vocabulary, a quick wit, and an inquiring mind as superior to their own, they think the other person is just showing off. It's the ultimate form of narcissism where, in their mind, noone can possibly be better than they are, and if they act like they are, then they must be showing off.

These kinds of people usually don't let you know directly what they think about you. Instead they'll just let their hatred for you simmer inside themselves, letting it bubble out from every orifice when you are not around. They will slander you behind your back and be sure everyone knows just how arrogant you are, and how great you think you are, and how much you're attempting to come off as a smart potato when you're really just a pseudo-intellectual.

I've dealt with these types far too often. I've wasted too much of my time trying to satisfy their 'precious' ego's and avoid social suicide. They are not worth the effort.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I notice a lot of girls doing this to attract men. Why a man would be attracted to stupidity I have no idea, but it seems to work.

·
mafia mod
13,333 Posts
To test a persons honesty and motives. There are those who like to inflate the truth and those who are takers. By acting stupid, you give the person the opportunity to show their true colors. Now I only do this when I am suspicious of a person to begin with. I'll say things like "Oh really, tell me more" or I will ask a question I already know the answer to. The jerks readily take the bait and they usually keep on talking, digging themselves into one hell of a hole.

I did this to inspectors from "Home Paramount" , and it worked. The stuff they told me was bs. I think one of the guys nickname was Pinocchio.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A lot of people have that misconception and you're probably making yourself appear like an idiot so you don't offend them. Some people are so insecure about their own intelligence that they refuse to believe that others are smarter. Instead of recognizing a broader vocabulary, a quick wit, and an inquiring mind as superior to their own, they think the other person is just showing off. It's the ultimate form of narcissism where, in their mind, no one can possibly be better than they are, and if they act like they are, then they must be showing off.

These kinds of people usually don't let you know directly what they think about you. Instead they'll just let their hatred for you simmer inside themselves, letting it bubble out from every orifice when you are not around. They will slander you behind your back and be sure everyone knows just how arrogant you are, and how great you think you are, and how much you're attempting to come off as a smart potato when you're really just a pseudo-intellectual.

I've dealt with these types far too often. I've wasted too much of my time trying to satisfy their 'precious' ego's and avoid social suicide. They are not worth the effort.
Hmmm, I don't think this is my case. I think my problem is that I hold no value in knowledge. I just can't relate to these people who are spewing their knowledge around left and right. All they ever talk about is how much they know of this or how much they know of that. Since I don't really understand why they do it, it just comes off to me as them trying to show everyone else how smart they are. One person says something, and then someone else says, "No, you're wrong. Blahblahblahblah.", and then the one person says, "No, because blahblahblah.", and so on and so forth. It's like they are just trying to one-up each other. Ugh, I always avoid these situations at all costs. If I say something and someone thinks I'm wrong, I'm done. I am just not going to get into it. I have no love whatsoever for the debate.

So, yeah. Perhaps this is why I make myself out to be not so smart, sometimes. I suppose I shouldn't feel the way I do, though. Obviously people like this see or feel something I don't? I suppose everyone who debates isn't just trying to show off. I guess some people just want to know the truth of things. Perhaps knowledge sparring with others is just their way of finding the truth. Me, though? I'd rather find the truth through wisdom.

Anyway, sorry if all of this makes no sense. Like I said, I'm having a hell of a hard time trying to explain things here.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I can not stand when people one-up each other it's one of my BIGGEST pet peeves,I don't think that's really making yourself look dumb though.Actually I think it's making yourself more intelligent instead of wasting your breath on a debate clearly neither side is going to budge or think about other options,and really is stubborn and either way is going to think they're right.

I will admit to making myself seem dumb though either to fit in with a group of girls,or yes,like other girls,for guys.For fitting in my first go at college I sort of acted more 'air headed' then I am because the person I was friends with she acted that way and I don't want to intimidate,,I guess or make someone feel inferior to me because of my intelligence.Well as far as guys go I've preteneded to not know something and let them teach me something It has seemed to work no idea why though...heh.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I can not stand when people one-up each other it's one of my BIGGEST pet peeves,I don't think that's really making yourself look dumb though.Actually I think it's making yourself more intelligent instead of wasting your breath on a debate clearly neither side is going to budge or think about other options,and really is stubborn and either way is going to think they're right.

I will admit to making myself seem dumb though either to fit in with a group of girls,or yes,like other girls,for guys.For fitting in my first go at college I sort of acted more 'air headed' then I am because the person I was friends with she acted that way and I don't want to intimidate,,I guess or make someone feel inferior to me because of my intelligence.Well as far as guys go I've preteneded to not know something and let them teach me something It has seemed to work no idea why though...heh.
You probably hate ENTPs

·
Registered
70 Posts
I do try to test the waters and see how much people know, feigning ignorance is a good way to figure out where someone stands, at least for an intelligence litmus test.

I'm half ENTP so I do like calling people out when I can make them look retarded, IF they're being retarded and trying to look smart. I hate people that try to confuse people with their words. To me, if you use words that no one else can understand, then you sir, are a fool. The mark of a real "smart man" is to be able to communicate simply.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I feign stupidity around people who I can tell aren't that smart a lot. Because if they think I'm some nerd or really smart then they will often not be as nice as they think "he must think he's better then me just because he knows some fancy words..." or something like that, which I don't believe is true. I believe everyone is smart in their own way. But this way, I get to know more people.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned that you might want to hide intelligence so that people don't always ask you like a million questions.

The mark of a real "smart man" is to be able to communicate simply.
I just want to say that some ideas just can't be simplified.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I used to flaunt all the things I knew when I was still a teenager. Over the years I have learned to be more cautious though. I do not talk as much these days.
Before the days of the internet it used to be hard to find people who shared all my interests. Its pointless to talk about astronomy or military history with someone who is not into any of that.
But with the internet its no longer a problem. You can find people to talk about any subject you like.

Something else I have noticed is that there are a lot of intelligent and highly educated people who often seem to deliberately shut off their brains.
Someone called that intellectual laziness. They are capable of thinking, but they just cant be bothered. Its often most obvious in the political choices they make. Their choices about whom to vote for are often based on emotions and rarely show any in depth thought behind them.
I often find that emotional motives supersede intellectual ones.

·
Registered
98 Posts
When I was much younger, like until I was eleven or twelve I used to act smart, provoking discussions with teachers and other figures of knowledge. Then I stopped, as I became "more socially aware", because I noticed that people got irritated by that behaviour, because they thought that I wanted to appear better than them.

At least where I grew up there is this common hate against people who don't hide that they are smart. - See "Jantelagen" Jante_Law

It's damn frustrating, but I've found outlets. Drugs and alcohol :wink:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I also tend to act stupid, for several reasons ... one of them is that I'm (almost) never interested in any topic enough to be prepared to debate over it with people who really care about it; they really annoy me, because it is so important to them, while I lose interest in it already while talking about it so I rather just nod and agree with the majority. The other one is (exactly the opposite of most of your responses here) that I like to seem stupid to people who just chat with me randomly, but when they get to know me, they are surprised what I'm actually capable of :crazy:
And also, so people wouldn't expect too much of me. It's good to start at the low lever and to build it up if I feel like it, rather than show my wit and then have to "represent" it every time.

·
Registered
988 Posts
My stupidity is usually on the everyday scale. I will willingly inform you about the 18-foot spear used by Alexander the Great, but if you ask me how to make orange juice, I will look at you blankly and ask, "What?"

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I usually act stupid only when I want to mess up with someone that pisses me off. Asking stupid questions is a fun way to irritate people.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts