Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to say thanks in advance for reading. :) While I think I'm starting to get a better grasp in Enneagram, I still don't quite 'get' it. I've been trying to self-type for a while, and I think the description of '1w9' resonates with me the best, but I'm very confused about the 'tri-type' stuff. So, I'll submit the questionnaire and see how it goes. :)

Main Questions

1. What drives you in life? What do you look for?

This is a really complicated question. I think ultimately what I strive for is just tranquility in all things, both my life and the lives of others. I want my home peaceful and serene and pretty, but what ‘drives’ me in the outer, social world is the needs of others, animals in particular. My ultimate goal is to have a dog rescue dedicated to special needs dogs (those that have various disabilities.) I am currently going to school to be a vet tech, and considering whether or not to get a full vet degree. When I stagnate in life, I always think ‘I could be doing something with my time, I could be making something better, there are those out there that have so much less with no one to help them.’ In my younger days, those commercials/youtube videos about homeless animals would easily reduce me to tears, but now that I have grown and actually done animal rescue, I’ve grown a thicker skin in order to ‘get things done that need done.’
While such a self-less drive seems almost fake and condescending, I really do view it as a thorn in my side, perhaps even something to try and get over. I’ve had to overcome such a selfless attitude and learn to ‘do for me’ over the years.

2. What do you hope to accomplish in your life?
I want to leave behind something that is doing good in the world. Hopefully my rescue so it would continue on to help reduce the homeless animal population, or perhaps a book that would resonate with people to make a better society. While I am rather reclusive and I don’t enjoy interacting with people in particular, I feel life is wasted if you haven’t done something to make at least something in the world change for the better.

3. What do you hope to avoid doing or being? What values are important to you?
I don’t want to be useless or a leech. I also don’t want to hurt others that don’t deserve it. (Sounds crazy, huh?) I don’t believe anyone deserves to be hurt, but if they are hurting others, they need knocked down. I very much value autonomy.

4. What are your biggest fears (not including phobias)? Why?
I think my biggest fear is being helpless. I go to great lengths (planning, contingency planning), to avoid any situation in which I could be caught and not be able to do anything about it.

5. How do you want others to see you? How do you see yourself?
That is a rather complicated question. I think, when I want to be seen at all, I just want to be seen as a person that is unwavering despite any hardships or obstacles, also a person that will do anything to achieve their goals. In a way, that is how I see myself, but of course I know that the self can be unreliable in such matters. I see myself as a work in progress, I have many flaws that I am trying to get rid of. (But, I do tend to be overly perfectionist.)

6. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?
What makes me feel at my best is seeing my work being successful, my plans set into motion and working. While failure doesn’t deter me (and I view failure as a learning tool), I think what makes me feel at my worst (like, utter despair) is a plan that is, for some reason, completely totally unraveled or failed to the point of non-existence.

7. Describe how you experience each of: a) anger; b) shame; c) anxiety.
I’m not really sure what you mean by ‘experience.’ Like, how I react to it? When I get angry, I usually suppress it and try to look at the situation rationally, or just leave the situation or come back with a clearer head after some time to think about it. But if I’m cornered or my buttons pressed too hard, it’s like a nuke going off in a city. XD Just ask the stapler I broke against a wall.
As for shame, I feel moved to immediately correct the situation, whether it is saying sorry, or making amends in some way.
I can’t really say I ever feel anxious too often. If I’m in a situation prone to anxiety, I just sit and try my hardest to work out the situation. If I literally can’t work it out, I either a) let it go or b) just completely shut off and shut down emotionally, and usually physically. There’s no anxiety, just numbness.

8. Describe how you respond to each of: a) stress; b) unexpected change; c) conflict.
If I’m stressed out, I need time and space to myself, A LOT of it. And I’ll get really irritable if I don’t get that space. I can have a tendency to be snarky and sharp-tongued with anyone who won’t respect my ‘alone time’ when I’m stressed out.
When unexpected change occurs, I either go to my contingency plan, or I just work it out, MAKE it work. If I can’t make it work (which is usually rare) I just do a total shutdown like I said above. The world is just shut out and I go into ‘zombie mode.’ Work, sleep, work, sleep, repeat until I snap out of it somehow.
Conflict doesn’t bother me that much. I just usually detach emotionally and try to look at it from a logical perspective. If I’m in the wrong, I would like to hope I understand and then change my mind/plans accordingly. If I’m right, and they just won’t leave it alone or see my side, I just drop the argument and leave and don’t give it a second thought.

9. Describe your orientation to: a) authority; b) power. How do you respond to these?
Authority: Unless someone can prove with actions they deserve authority over me, authority is pretty meaningless. But I do listen to those that I genuinely believe know better than me.
Power: Can be good or bad, either abused or used well. If I think they are abusing it, I fight it. If I think it can do good, I *might* take the opportunity to seek it (but usually not) or I’ll help foster it.

10. What is your overall outlook on life and humanity?
I don’t know if I can fit that into any short amount of text. I don’t believe in god, I very much respect the scientific system. I believe that this life is all there is, so there is no excuse to make life needlessly hard for anyone, be it animal or human. Live and let live, respect nature and others. As for humanity, I don’t know. It often depresses me, how short sighted humanity can seem, never aware of the impact it has on nature and others. They see themselves so much wiser than the ‘animals’ they biologically are, yet animals have more of a ‘clue’ as to the way things are supposed to work. I think humanity could use a big dose of humility.

Optional Questions

11. Discuss an event that has impacted your life significantly; more importantly, how you responded to it.
It is hard to pick one. I think one that has severely impacted me the most recently (negatively) was finding out a guy that I thought loved me really just wanted me for my money/work ethic. All the plans I made and decisions I had already gone through with were just destroyed. I just shut down, went into zombie mode. It impacted me for a long time (probably still now). I lost my trust in pretty much everything, even my own judgment, which was probably the worst thing that happened.
For a good thing, probably the best thing that happened most recently was starting to go to my school. I met a lot of people with the same goals, and a lot to learn and do. It restored faith in humanity, even if just a little bit. It has even made me a bit more social, which is HARD to do.

12. Comment on your relationship with trust.
I really only trust one person: myself. On other levels, my trust is hard to earn and easy to break.

13. List some of the traits you: a) like; b) dislike most about yourself.
Like: I like that I am resilient. It is very rare that life knocks me down and out, and even when it does usually it only takes a couple days, max, to shake off whatever happened and get back on track. I like that I can usually find dedication and motivation when it matters. (To me, anyway.)
Dislikes: I can’t seem to ever find a ‘middle ground’ when it comes to people. It seems like in my mind they fall into three categories: Love you a lot, nonexistent, or hate your guts. Another thing is, I need to learn to just stop and smell the roses, sometimes I feel incapable. While some people say my hard-working nature is admirable, sometimes I look back at my degrees and think “I may have credentials and things to put on my resume, but did I really LIVE?”

14. What do you see or notice in others that most people don't?
Usually I can just see right through people. Their façade they present to the world, their real motives, or their insecurities.

15. If a stranger insults you, how do you respond/feel? What if they compliment you?
Insults: I ignore it. Whatever, they don’t know or impact my life any.
Compliment: I just say ‘thanks’ and move on if it’s passing. If they dwell talking to me, I start to feel uncomfortable, I don’t take compliments well at all, whether because it’s awkward to accept such praise or me wondering what their real motive is.

16. What's something you are: a) thankful you have; b) wish you could have? Why?
Thankful: My dogs and my husband. They really give me a reason to exist and function when times get unbearably tough. I just look at them and think “they need me, I can’t just not do anything.”
Wish: Money, (weird, huh?) It would be wonderful to have no financial constraints and just get right to planning, buy my land, build my rescue, do the PR without having to raise funds in a down economy. And a nice house with a big garden and a farm would be nice too. ^_^

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
I see 3 written allover the OP.

Reactions: Noelle

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Wake, I would be interested in hearing more. :)
@starri and @mpobrien I read the 3 description, and I can see where starri made the connection. The desire to 'appear' put-together and hard working. (I sense @starri might think my first post was tailored to 'appear' one-ish, whether that is my ego talking or my self-deluded ideas)

There are some 3 qualities I can see in myself, with the drive to achieve goals and stuff like that, the desire to 'appear' perfect at lower levels. But 3s seem to need an audience, whereas I think I'd be more uncomfortable with an audience. I won't lie, I am self-conscious of my flaws (but really, who isn't.) I don't like airing my dirty laundry out to the world, but I'd rather clean the dirty laundry and hang it out later than just hide it or put someone else's prettier laundry out there. 3s seem a lot less 'private' than 1s, they always want to be 'out there', to be seen no matter what even at their lowest. That is something I can't really identify with, I'd much rather be invisible totally and completely if things aren't working out. I can see the "stress" and "growth" wings of 1 (4 and 7) seem to apply better.

I can say I do indulge in self-deprecating humor, and I try to be charitable, but I really don't think I would be a 'tier 1' of anything. Even after losing my faith in organized religion and exploring the idea that 'nothing is wrong, all is relative' I felt I could never really relate to that at all. Even if organized religion isn't the 'right' way, there is still right and wrong in the world, even after exiting the church I guess I still never lost the stick up my bum, but I have tried to be more understanding of others. :p

I hope I'm not insulting any 3s at all, but it seems like 3s seem more motivated for success just for the fact of being successful, and I can't really see that fulfilling my life at all. I guess it all boils down to the question, do I do these things to 'appear' moral and put together, or do I do these things to 'be' moral and put together. As perfectionist as I am, I think I'd tend more towards the latter. (But of course, this is the interwebs, and there's no way for anyone not knowing me in real life to know this.)

I read this from Wake's post:

Threes and Ones are both oriented towards an ideal, detach from emotions under stress and can be workaholics. Typically, it is Threes who mistype or are mistyped as Ones. But Threes are much more comfortable with self-presentation and self-promotion than are Ones who often find these things to be difficult or impossible. Ones are seldom as acutely aware of the image they are projecting than are Threes.

I bolded that because I have often found that to rather true about my life. I'm usually so focused on my own goals that I'm often oblivious to how others around me are seeing me, which has lead to some surprises of both the good and bad kind. Usually in the form of "huh...he liked me? I didn't know that," or "so and so is mad at me for something?" Even when I try to guess what other's opinions are of me, I kind of feel uncomfortable assuming they think good of me, and I don't think I'd ever be able to walk up to someone and go "so, I'm awesome, don't you think?" Not only is that just egotistical, that's just asking for a really really awkward situation. To this day I don't even know how I'd ever go about asking for a promotion, lol. I prefer to just work hard and let promotions happen.

Regardless, thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it. :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
@Noelle I can only speak for myself, but I certainly am not insulted.

(Everything from this point on is my opinion based on my experience as a 3.)
3s(I) want to be successful because I find my meaning and self-worth through being loved for our accomplishments. It's not uncommon for 3s to lose themselves in their work, and to associate their work as their real self. Based on your OP, you seem, to me, to do things to be moral, rather than to seem moral. A 3 isn't exactly the most moral type to begin with, but they would want to appear to be moral, unlike a 1 who would actually be moral.

3s always want to be seen, even at my lowest, but I don't want to be seen as being at our lowest. I want to always appear completely together, like my life is always heading uphill and I'm always successful, even if I don't think I'm successful and my life is going downhill. 3s are self-conscious about flaws, but I certainly wouldn't let on about how self-conscious I am. I've been told I have a very large ego because if asked I won't let on that I have any flaws at all, lol.

It's really on you to do some introspection here: Do you want to 'appear' perfect, or do you actually strive to be perfect. Do you want to 'appear' moral, or do you strive to be moral. If you lean towards the former, you're probably a 3; if you lean towards the latter, you're probably a 1.

I hope this was of some help to you!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@mpobrien thanks again for the post. :)

When I think of it that way, and when I think about my 'morality' in contrast with those of others, I think I would definitely lean more towards 1. There has always been an underlying rigidity to my morality, and it it doesn't 'fit' with others, I won't associate myself with it, in a way, I can't associate myself with it. I guess that's where the 'dogmatic' side of me appears. I can't really see why a 3 would want to do that, why going against the grain in such a way would fulfill them. It kind of reminds me of 'hipsters' who want to seem 'so unconformist.' I always thought 'well, if everyone conformed to the way you thought, wouldn't you be HAPPY?'

In a way, I don't really care how others view me, my beliefs are my beliefs and unless you can show where I am wrong, I won't believe them. To a lot of people I may 'seem' immoral because I won't pretend to believe animals are 'lesser' than humans, and I won't pretend to believe homosexuals are sinners, and I won't pretend to believe in heaven or hell, and if you think that's wrong, that's your problem. Would you say 3's would be more willing to 'tow the line' to achieve their goals?

I have felt alienated from a lot of my family due to this (they are all very strict Christians.) When I was younger, I always just kind of felt like a freak, the black sheep that no one would ever understand, but when I got to college, it was a really pleasant surprise to find that the world wasn't made up of hateful hypocritical people.

While I fear failure in a way (but I see failure as more of a learning experience than an absolute), I'd much rather fail on my terms than succeed on someone else's. Whenever it seems like 'public' opinion is against me, I tend to think 'well, I know I have me, and as long as I can live with myself and my actions that's all that matters.' Of course, when I feel as though I failed myself through bad decisions and bad actions, that's when the spiral of self-doubt and seclusion happens.

·
Registered
281 Posts
@Noelle I definitely also agree that you seem to be more of a 1 than a 3.

As for toeing the line to get ahead, yes that's something I personally would. I have a strong conviction for my morals and beliefs, but I would suspend those beliefs if it mean getting ahead. As important as my morals are, I value success and feeling good about something I've achieved, and if forgetting my values means getting ahead...oh well.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Bulleted typing comments:
I'd like to say thanks in advance for reading. :) While I think I'm starting to get a better grasp in Enneagram, I still don't quite 'get' it. I've been trying to self-type for a while, and I think the description of '1w9' resonates with me the best, but I'm very confused about the 'tri-type' stuff. So, I'll submit the questionnaire and see how it goes. :)

Main Questions

1. What drives you in life? What do you look for?

This is a really complicated question. I think ultimately what I strive for is just tranquility in all things, both my life and the lives of others. I want my home peaceful and serene and pretty, but what ‘drives’ me in the outer, social world is the needs of others, animals in particular. My ultimate goal is to have a dog rescue dedicated to special needs dogs (those that have various disabilities.) I am currently going to school to be a vet tech, and considering whether or not to get a full vet degree. When I stagnate in life, I always think ‘I could be doing something with my time, I could be making something better, there are those out there that have so much less with no one to help them.’ In my younger days, those commercials/youtube videos about homeless animals would easily reduce me to tears, but now that I have grown and actually done animal rescue, I’ve grown a thicker skin in order to ‘get things done that need done.’

• Tranquility in all things, sounds incredibly 9. 9's core is the need to find inner peace. I see where Scruffy's opinion came from now. I didn't read through well last time because my time was short and I dealt with five of these before this.
  • 1s aren't really about tranquility, but they're about changing things to their liking for the betterment. Your drive to save dogs seems in-line with that, but a lot of types can take up this sort of initiative.

While such a self-less drive seems almost fake and condescending, I really do view it as a thorn in my side, perhaps even something to try and get over. I’ve had to overcome such a selfless attitude and learn to ‘do for me’ over the years.

• 1s often see more things go in a negative direction and it eats at them. They're more likely to grow dogmatic in beliefs and ways than they are to decide to stop following their principle. This probably makes you more likely a 9. 9s have a funny position with their conscience, because nothing really says they can't follow it, but they don't always and sometimes they do.

2. What do you hope to accomplish in your life?
I want to leave behind something that is doing good in the world. Hopefully my rescue so it would continue on to help reduce the homeless animal population, or perhaps a book that would resonate with people to make a better society. While I am rather reclusive and I don’t enjoy interacting with people in particular, I feel life is wasted if you haven’t done something to make at least something in the world change for the better.

• This screamed 1 at me before, but when put in context of your career and not just a knee-jerk desire I would say that it is less indicative.

3. What do you hope to avoid doing or being? What values are important to you?
I don’t want to be useless or a leech. I also don’t want to hurt others that don’t deserve it. (Sounds crazy, huh?) I don’t believe anyone deserves to be hurt, but if they are hurting others, they need knocked down. I very much value autonomy.

• 1s are known to be able to turn zealous in a desire to punitive action and bring people to justice. You don't sound like this subject means enough to you.
  • 9s are known to be the sloth, so this fear of being a leech maybe rightfully so. My brother is a 9, and has done much leeching, but he has picked up responsibility since then. I lean 9 still.

4. What are your biggest fears (not including phobias)? Why?
I think my biggest fear is being helpless. I go to great lengths (planning, contingency planning), to avoid any situation in which I could be caught and not be able to do anything about it.

• I don't know if it is indicative of any type, maybe 6 a little but eh.

5. How do you want others to see you? How do you see yourself?
That is a rather complicated question. I think, when I want to be seen at all, I just want to be seen as a person that is unwavering despite any hardships or obstacles, also a person that will do anything to achieve their goals. In a way, that is how I see myself, but of course I know that the self can be unreliable in such matters. I see myself as a work in progress, I have many flaws that I am trying to get rid of. (But, I do tend to be overly perfectionist.)

• 1s don't often say that they will do ANYTHING to achieve their goals because they look to a moral code and that is their limit. Many types can have perfectionistic streaks.

6. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?
What makes me feel at my best is seeing my work being successful, my plans set into motion and working. While failure doesn’t deter me (and I view failure as a learning tool), I think what makes me feel at my worst (like, utter despair) is a plan that is, for some reason, completely totally unraveled or failed to the point of non-existence.
  • I don't think this is indicative of any type.

7. Describe how you experience each of: a) anger; b) shame; c) anxiety.
I’m not really sure what you mean by ‘experience.’ Like, how I react to it? When I get angry, I usually suppress it and try to look at the situation rationally, or just leave the situation or come back with a clearer head after some time to think about it. But if I’m cornered or my buttons pressed too hard, it’s like a nuke going off in a city. XD Just ask the stapler I broke against a wall.

• 1s often try to ignore it and then they realize that they are being guided by their anger into actions. I don't see this in you.
  • 9s typically take the route of trying to remove themselves to evade it and if pushed hard enough they can act out. You're probably a 9.

As for shame, I feel moved to immediately correct the situation, whether it is saying sorry, or making amends in some way.
  • Not wanting the thought of people being angry at you is rather 9-like because it disrupts the inner peace, but many types will do what you did.

I can’t really say I ever feel anxious too often. If I’m in a situation prone to anxiety, I just sit and try my hardest to work out the situation. If I literally can’t work it out, I either a) let it go or b) just completely shut off and shut down emotionally, and usually physically. There’s no anxiety, just numbness.

• 9s are known to simply ignore anxiety because it disturbs that inner peace emphasis.
  • Type 1 is still your second most likely type in my book, and 1s become frustrated and enraged at times in such situations.

8. Describe how you respond to each of: a) stress; b) unexpected change; c) conflict.
If I’m stressed out, I need time and space to myself, A LOT of it. And I’ll get really irritable if I don’t get that space. I can have a tendency to be snarky and sharp-tongued with anyone who won’t respect my ‘alone time’ when I’m stressed out.
  • Isolation is quite typical for a 9 to need often.

When unexpected change occurs, I either go to my contingency plan, or I just work it out, MAKE it work. If I can’t make it work (which is usually rare) I just do a total shutdown like I said above. The world is just shut out and I go into ‘zombie mode.’ Work, sleep, work, sleep, repeat until I snap out of it somehow.
Conflict doesn’t bother me that much. I just usually detach emotionally and try to look at it from a logical perspective. If I’m in the wrong, I would like to hope I understand and then change my mind/plans accordingly. If I’m right, and they just won’t leave it alone or see my side, I just drop the argument and leave and don’t give it a second thought.

9. Describe your orientation to: a) authority; b) power. How do you respond to these?
Authority: Unless someone can prove with actions they deserve authority over me, authority is pretty meaningless. But I do listen to those that I genuinely believe know better than me.
Power: Can be good or bad, either abused or used well. If I think they are abusing it, I fight it. If I think it can do good, I *might* take the opportunity to seek it (but usually not) or I’ll help foster it.

10. What is your overall outlook on life and humanity?
I don’t know if I can fit that into any short amount of text. I don’t believe in god, I very much respect the scientific system. I believe that this life is all there is, so there is no excuse to make life needlessly hard for anyone, be it animal or human. Live and let live, respect nature and others. As for humanity, I don’t know. It often depresses me, how short sighted humanity can seem, never aware of the impact it has on nature and others. They see themselves so much wiser than the ‘animals’ they biologically are, yet animals have more of a ‘clue’ as to the way things are supposed to work. I think humanity could use a big dose of humility.

Optional Questions

11. Discuss an event that has impacted your life significantly; more importantly, how you responded to it.
It is hard to pick one. I think one that has severely impacted me the most recently (negatively) was finding out a guy that I thought loved me really just wanted me for my money/work ethic. All the plans I made and decisions I had already gone through with were just destroyed. I just shut down, went into zombie mode. It impacted me for a long time (probably still now). I lost my trust in pretty much everything, even my own judgment, which was probably the worst thing that happened.
For a good thing, probably the best thing that happened most recently was starting to go to my school. I met a lot of people with the same goals, and a lot to learn and do. It restored faith in humanity, even if just a little bit. It has even made me a bit more social, which is HARD to do.

12. Comment on your relationship with trust.
I really only trust one person: myself. On other levels, my trust is hard to earn and easy to break.

13. List some of the traits you: a) like; b) dislike most about yourself.
Like: I like that I am resilient. It is very rare that life knocks me down and out, and even when it does usually it only takes a couple days, max, to shake off whatever happened and get back on track. I like that I can usually find dedication and motivation when it matters. (To me, anyway.)
Dislikes: I can’t seem to ever find a ‘middle ground’ when it comes to people. It seems like in my mind they fall into three categories: Love you a lot, nonexistent, or hate your guts. Another thing is, I need to learn to just stop and smell the roses, sometimes I feel incapable. While some people say my hard-working nature is admirable, sometimes I look back at my degrees and think “I may have credentials and things to put on my resume, but did I really LIVE?”

14. What do you see or notice in others that most people don't?
Usually I can just see right through people. Their façade they present to the world, their real motives, or their insecurities.

15. If a stranger insults you, how do you respond/feel? What if they compliment you?
Insults: I ignore it. Whatever, they don’t know or impact my life any.
Compliment: I just say ‘thanks’ and move on if it’s passing. If they dwell talking to me, I start to feel uncomfortable, I don’t take compliments well at all, whether because it’s awkward to accept such praise or me wondering what their real motive is.

16. What's something you are: a) thankful you have; b) wish you could have? Why?
Thankful: My dogs and my husband. They really give me a reason to exist and function when times get unbearably tough. I just look at them and think “they need me, I can’t just not do anything.”
Wish: Money, (weird, huh?) It would be wonderful to have no financial constraints and just get right to planning, buy my land, build my rescue, do the PR without having to raise funds in a down economy. And a nice house with a big garden and a farm would be nice too. ^_^
Nothing else said changed by opinion. You're most likely a 9 and very small possibility of being a 1.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Wake, thanks again for the analysis. :)

On internet tests, I have typed both 1w9 and 9w1. I've went around in circles a few times wondering which I might be (I got a 5 once as well, though 1w9 and 9w1 seem to be more 'me.')

The thing that doesn't seem to ring "right" to me about 9s is that the seem so passive, and I do agree that I am a bit passive. If an argument is happening, I probably won't get into it if there is no reason for me to. But if it touches off my morals or if someone I care about is getting the brunt of something I think is unfair, I'll step up to the plate without any regrets or worries about what others think of me.

One thing that got me in one of the descriptions of 9s is that they usually yield to the wishes of their spouses in order to get harmony. Heh, doesn't my husband wish. :p Normally I'm the 'planner' of the two of us (though, of course I don't discount his opinion at all, but I don't let him completely dictate what is going on.) If he does something unfair, I'll tend to get on his case about it, and hope he would do the same for me.

I think whether or not someone is angry at me depends on why they are angry at me. If I felt I did something wrong, I feel bad and apologize. If they are angry for a reason I don't see as justified (like I didn't do a job they were supposed to do) I won't care. One of the pieces of advice I've given to a lot of friends was "who cares if they are mad at you, it doesn't matter what they say." Of course, it will take reflection to see if I follow that advice consistently myself.

It will take a lot more research into 9s, but it seems like 9s are so sloth-like, and if that's true that is really dead-opposite of how I am. If I'm not doing something, I always feel the need to get up and do something. I have a very bad habit of taking on too much and burning myself out, running myself into the ground. My friends and family always say they have a hard time scheduling time to do stuff with me because I always am either at school/studying/at my job(s). I'd say if this is an accurate description of 9s, that would be a deal-breaker. But if I've got them wrong (and I might) then I might very well be a 9.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
@MBTI Enthusiast, what are your thoughts on this thread? She seems to lack the passive nature of a 9 and seems more high-strung. At the same time she lacks many characteristics of a 9. I'm thinking of 6w5 as a possibility, but she did lack in her OP many of the things which are common for a 6w5. What is your conclusion about type 9 and her?

It will take a lot more research into 9s, but it seems like 9s are so sloth-like, and if that's true that is really dead-opposite of how I am. If I'm not doing something, I always feel the need to get up and do something. I have a very bad habit of taking on too much and burning myself out, running myself into the ground. My friends and family always say they have a hard time scheduling time to do stuff with me because I always am either at school/studying/at my job(s). I'd say if this is an accurate description of 9s, that would be a deal-breaker. But if I've got them wrong (and I might) then I might very well be a 9.
Well, as I said to MBTI Enthusiast above there is possibility of being a 6w5. You seem to hold a strong conscience as I know them to do, and many people who identify as 1s are the "save the whale" types. Social issues are something that bother type 1, but they aren't what 1s build themselves upon. 1s view the world in terms of sort of a black and white, right or wrong way. Do only right and things don't go wrong, and people don't follow this principle closely enough creating problems for all of us.

I'm not as knowledgeable about 6w5 POV, but much of it stems from anxiety of things that could happen, so they over-think a lot.

The difference in a 6w5 and 1w9 is that 1s emphasize consistency in their actions as a matter of control and to show discipline to only do good, and this gut feeling of good/right (the two get blended and are one in the same) is the reason they're in the gut triad. 6w5's focus on the what could happen and plan and worry as a sign of them being in the thinking triad. I need to study 6s to be real certain of much past that.

What are your thoughts on her being 6w5 @Julia Bell?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
@Wake, thanks very much for your time/patience. :)

I have to run, but I'll look at 6w5.

Though, not to throw another kink in the whole process, I have looked at 4w5 four with five wing and that almost looks like they are writing about me. Though it seems like they are missing the "save the animals" aspect of my personality, so I'm not sure what that would mean.

Actually, the more and more I look at 4, the bad and the good, the more uncomfortably familiar it seems to be. The whole "I hate people because I'm too different" thing and then "oh...you aren't different/you're different like me...I might love you...a lot" is resonating a lot.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
@Wake, thanks very much for your time/patience. :)

I have to run, but I'll look at 6w5.

Though, not to throw another kink in the whole process, I have looked at 4w5 four with five wing and that almost looks like they are writing about me. Though it seems like they are missing the "save the animals" aspect of my personality, so I'm not sure what that would mean.
4w5 is a pretty common mistype, particularly for 6s it seems. The subject is rather complex, but 4w5 take this image for individuality to another level regarding their expression and inner workings as 6s want to be different. You should find some writings on the subject, and what exactly the 4's image is. I didn't see 4 in your words at all.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmms, after reading 6w5, I can see it. Though it seems there's so much paranoia tied into it, I can't see fear/anxiousness that's so rampantly written about in that, though I do tend to be suspicious and plan for the worst. Though, the "always so anxious they don't even know they are anxious" bit could be a fair point. The only other contention I have with that is that when things go wrong, I tend to doubt myself and my own abilities instead of scape-goating. "They tricked me because I wasn't smart enough to see it." "I was taken advantage of because I was too weak to stop it." Not sure if that could be a 5 influence or not.

Though I do have this idea that you stated above, "as long as I do the right thing, things aren't going to go wrong, and when they do, I did something wrong and I need to find out what that was."

Another thing that (I could be wrong about 6s) didn't really quite ring clear with me is that 6s seem to always feel like they are the underdog and being oppressed. In a lot of ways, I don't see myself as an underdog, but whether or not I am the underdog in the situation, I should always 'fight' for the underdog, because to just be comfortable with my life is kind of being useless and selfish. I mean, I'm not going to delude myself and say that I couldn't lose everything like many have (especially in this economy) so it's smart to plan in case it happens.

I suppose it would help to be introspective of my interactions with people. I would say I usually want to find out whether they are 'good or bad' people, but I'm not sure if that's anxiety or hubris talking. "I'm scared you are going to drag me down" vs "Do you meet my ideals?"

Man, I didn't expect it to be quite this confusing, lol. :confused:

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
@Noelle
Ya, the 1 and 6 are very similar. 6s have an anxiety which has an existential element to it. 1s have an anxiety about their own decisions and will they be able to do right when the time comes. So it is anxiety about right/wrong or trust in others vs. not. I haven't seen you as being action oriented enough to consider you likely to be a 1, and you lack a punitive desire to make others pay for being wrong. A need to be right leads to a lot of "I told you so" moments and "they don't care enough to do it right, we need to teach them". Your passion seems to be in a strong conscience which 6s often have and want to defend yourself and others. I recall a video talking about 6s saying "They have an easier time fighting for the underdog than they do for themselves."

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hrms, this is going to be wracking my brain all night. Instead of 9w1, what would your opinion be on 9w8?

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
Man, I didn't expect it to be quite this confusing, lol. :confused:
This process reminds me of finding my own enneatype, it has to be confusing so that you know you got it right in the end :)

Reactions: Noelle

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
I find that you're too calm headed (overall) for a 6, and I don't get a head type impression. Gut types are sturdy in writing, rooted even. Head types are flakier in writing, you feel more inner-conflict in their writing.

9's are fairly malleable (similar to a 3). From what I've seen of both 9 and 3 is that they are very affected by their fixes, perhaps it would explain why you almost look like a 6.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts