Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the set-up: I do one of the numerous surveys, you type. I have some idea what types I may be, but I don't want to conjecture. I know what I know. I'm interested in seeking your opinions, reevaluating given that information, and then coming to my own conclusion.

Other Assorted Notes: I have no idea why my username is what it is, but apparently my email already had an account from 2009. Additionally, in spite of the title, I doubt there's anything particularly interesting and descriptive about this post OR that I'm going to yield more and better responses.

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

The meta-question is numbered zero – appropriate. I’m 23 and female, and my unusual life circumstance is that I don’t feel I have an unusual life circumstance, for once.

1. Click on this link: Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

www .flickr.com/photos/austinosuide/9649052606/in/explore-2013-09-01

Copy and paste the url, remove the spaces, and blame the 15 posts rule.

Impression: I’d call this a water dragon, but I’d expect a water dragon to expel a water gun that has more momentum. This water gun does not travel far before it begins to accelerate downward due to the force of gravity. Given the evidence, this appears to be a regular dragon puking water rather than a water dragon with control over the water element. It’s also possible that this is a water dragon, but it is ill.

Due to it making little sense that anybody would design a puking water dragon, I subsequently looked into this and this is actually a gargoyle.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

First of all, I would not be in a car with a group of people going to see my favorite band. I’ve never been to a concert, despite liking music a bit. If I were to go to a concert, it would be because some organized group I’m a member of (such as a student group) decided to go. In this case, it’s unlikely we would be headed to see *my* favorite band.

My reaction would be contingent on the particulars of the situation, and it would be decided at the time.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

Again, the devil in my gut will react to the details. If I have nowhere to be tomorrow, it’s probably fine. If this is the case, but I’m not interested in actually going to the party, it could still be OK if I brought some papers to read. If the driver is insistent regardless of my desires, I will want to create turmoil to get my way but probably resist because he’s my ride back and therefore has the power in the situation.

Speaking of not having the upper hand in this situation, if I DID go to a concert I’d probably just drive myself to a concert so I wasn’t at the whim of somebody else.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

My inward reaction will depend on whether their belief is reasonable but disagreeable or a demonstration of mindless verbal diarrhea that contradicts all reason. Outwardly, I’d debate them.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

I don’t believe in God, but I don’t care if I see a bunch of people praying. It doesn’t matter to me if other people are wrong, as long as it’s not to the detriment of others or society.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

I don’t overthink important values these days. I value well-reasoned opinions and quality information. I value good health, both physically and mentally. When I help others or do something that is environmentally beneficial, I do it because it is personally fulfilling to help other life be happy or flourish. I view that there’s a difference between things I personally would choose to do or not to do based on evidence and considering my choices based on a value system. I’ve thought a lot about my value system in the past, and I’ll get flashes of “gut emotion” which can shift my views on something. I probably have trivial values which may come up in the context of conversations, but I can’t think of those off the top of my head.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

I hate to say that “nobody gets me” because it’s vaguely reminiscent of tweens with purple hair who watch Japanese anime and listen to punk music, and that’s not me. I overtly advertise obscure interests or quirks in order to display non-conformity. If anything, I’m quite good at conforming when I wish to. Despite valuing my alone time, I can go out and socialize with people if I find them interesting. I can come off as very social at times and people who are used to seeing me when I’m in that mode often think I’m quite extraverted. However, I generally do this around interesting people in order to gather information in a new environment or create a professional network. Additionally, I can throw an emotional fit in an interpersonal relationship and people will believe I’m truly upset about the things I’m saying. However, I do think because I’m frustrated at the lack of information the other person has given me to figure out an interpersonal dynamic and I can often gain better insights by creating chaos. Either the other person might reveal more information or the pieces my fall in a way which makes more sense. If I do socialize for “fun”, it’s simply because I’ve realized this gives me some sort of “mental grounding” or “sanity check” as compared to not talking to others for months on end (which I have done). I found this wasn’t healthy, but I don’t particularly enjoy the actual act of socializing even if it helps me feel better afterwards and contributes to my overall health. I could list more examples, but I rest my case.

To summarize, I suppose I act fairly normally, but I feel that other people don’t understand the motives which drive my normal actions.

If I could change one thing, I’d not speak before I had the best answer in certain situations. Sometimes I think I fully understand something and speak with absolute confidence, but I realize after somebody else responds that I may have overestimated my knowledge. I more or less instantly realize my overreach, but I can’t unsay things.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

I will get them in interpersonal situations, discussions, and almost anywhere. In general, I try to structure evidence to support them. I generally trust my gut. For example, I may get a gut feeling in an interpersonal relationship that something is wrong due to certain inconclusive signs. In a past relationship, something was just wrong with the intimacy and sexual part of the relationship. I created a lot of turmoil to try to figure it out. After a year, I got in a conversation where there were some bi-curious comments, so I egged them on. With this, my SO realized he was gay and came out the next day. We are both now much happier. As another example, I may get a “hunch” about something interesting to look into or research – but typically it’s challenging, as it may not logically follow from information or skillsets I possess.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

I need a well-balanced life. I need to do what I want to do at a particular time. I find I enjoy my computer a lot, but I also need occasional exercise and socialization. If I have to socialize, I prefer structured activities where there is a clear objective.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

I don’t feel I need to repress anything – I’d be a pretty open book. However, I will repress my thoughts in most situations unless they are relevant to the particular other person I’m speaking to. I figure they don’t care too much about what I’m thinking. At the same time, I may not care too much that they don’t care. If I feel it’s to my benefit to talk for the sake of talking, I’ll generally do it if it’s not socially inappropriate (ie in the middle of lecture).

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Here's an article I copy/pasted into a Word document a while back. Since then, the web page it's from has had technical difficulties and isn't accessible any more, but I can give you what I saved. It's long, but it's worth it.

If you want more, I can give the rest of the article, but like I said, it's long. So I'll just give you this chunk for now.

See if this sounds familiar.

--

Example: The Shy INTP

Here is one way the Tertiary Temptation might affect INTPs.

Due to having Ti as his dominant function, the INTP tends to live introspectively, engaged in introverted activities that allow him to ponder the causal order of the universe. However, at some point in his life, his inferior Fe will cause him to desire to interact with others and change his standing with them. For example, he might get tired of being seen as a "nerd" or a "geek." Or he may want people to acknowledge his intelligence and listen to all his interesting ideas. He will be frustrated that people seem to assign status based on Fe and Se values such as popularity and "coolness," because these appear illogical and irrelevant from the standpoint of Ti. However, his inferior Fe is too weak to engage in the social games that people play, so it cannot fulfill its goals under its own steam.

Dominant Ti alone cannot solve the INTP's social difficulties; in fact, it leads the INTP to turn up his nose at the seemingly idiotic social world. He will claim that he doesn't know how to socialize ("knowing how" is usually a tipoff of Ti). Tertiary Si will affirm this attitude, by convincing the INTP that trying to socialize would surely end in disaster, because he doesn't have any kind of roadmap to navigate the arbitrary social world with. Or maybe his Ti will lead him to take a highly judgmental attitude that people just don't work the way they should. From the standpoint of the disgruntled INTP, people seem weak, irrational, and emotional, with no stomach for the "truth". He will tell you all the ways in which the current social system is dysfunctional, and how should it be resigned to fit some better underlying principles (see Saints-and-Politicians Exegesis for reasons why introverts often take attitudes like this). In this case, his Si will tempt him into only associating with people he feels safe with, and who won't challenge his overly introverted attitude. He will think "most people have absolutely no clue, so I need to find the few people who do and stick with them." The INTP's inferior Fe might falsely believe that only associating with like-minded people is the solution to his social difficulties, so he may embrace the labels of "nerd" or "geek" (or even "INTP") and act out those roles.

In short, his Ti and Si keep him semiotically disoriented and unable to relate to the extraverted social world.

Without Ne, the INTP will believe that he will be totally lost (Si) in the social world, because he doesn't understand how it works (Ti).

Even when he tries to socialize in this mindset, he will feel he never has anything to say. This feeling of helplessness and "analysis paralysis" is due to his semiotic disorientation. When he does say something, he will be careful not to rock the boat (Si), because he feels he doesn't know how to socialize (Ti), and wants to hide this fact from others to avoid incurring a negative reputation (inferior Fe). For instance, he might take on the role of a "nice guy" to avoid the stigma of "nerd." Ironically, such fear to express his personality might make others believe he is boring and antisocial, and contribute to the negative reputation he developed in the first place! In the end, he will fall back on the areas of life where he "knows what he is doing." These areas will usually be his old introverted activities, so he is back to square one.

To summarize, Fe goals tend to get the INTP's Ti/Si into a semiotically disoriented muddle that leaves him no method of relating to the task at hand.

Enter: Extraverted Intuition...

Ne offers the INTP another perspective that can help with his social difficulties. It will encourage him to improvise, experiment, and attune himself to the world of possibilities in social interaction. He will be witty, unique, and say whatever nobody else thought of. Furthermore, through his Ne creativity and experimentation, his Ti will be able to able to figure out the underlying principles behind socializing. During social interaction, the Ne can reign free, and the Ti can analyze everything afterwards when it won't interfere. Thus, the Ti is brought back on board and has a way of constructively relating to the task. When the Ti manifests itself to help an INTP figure out how people tick, it is helping him meet his Fe goals. Fundamentally, Ne frames the social world as a place of exciting new possibilities just waiting to be understood, providing the Ti with a way of semiotically orienting itself to those goals.

Contrast the hyper-introverted attitudes of Ti + Si with the more extraverted attitudes of Ti + Ne. "I need to stay in control of everything to be sure it comes out right" vs. "I'll take my chances in the wider world and deal with whatever comes up":

• Ti + Si (+ inferior Fe): "People's customs about political correctness are so arbitrary, I have no hope of understanding them: every guess about how I should behave is just a shot in the dark... It's best to just play it safe with people, because if I mess up, they will just think I'm a nerd with no social skills."

• Ti + Ne: "Maybe I don't understand customs and etiquette yet. Maybe I will never understand them. I don't need to understand them, because I will respond dynamically to any situation that unfolds before me. The boring smile-and-say-customary-things approach doesn't work for me, but I can try something outrageous that people have never seen before, and see what that opens up. Maybe it will bring me to the attention of people who can appreciate what I've got to offer, maybe it will get me a black eye, maybe something I can't even anticipate. Only one way to find out!"

• Ti + Si: "Most people have no clue how the universe works, so I need to stick with the few who do. I would just get bogged down explaining basic concepts in some moronic set of terms to people who will just misunderstand everything and foul it up anyway. ."

• Ti + Ne: "If I limit my social circle to a few fellow misanthropes, I will never go anywhere in the world. When in public or with a stranger, I can try putting some small idea on the table--just a tiny piece of the whole picture, just enough to excite people's imagination. It'll start something. People will have no choice but to deal with it. They'll want to deal with it because it relates to their existing interests. I'll be fairly sure of that because I'll sniff out what those interests are. People will start having fun with the idea in their own way, going beyond what I can imagine."

Thus, Ne allows the INTP to place his stakes in the extraverted world. See Place-Your-Stakes Exegesis.

Ne, as a way to expand outward into the world rather than as a way to gather fuel for more Ti analysis, leads you to "plant seeds" of potential: to add something new to what's going on that opens up the potential for something not entirely known to happen--but something where there are real stakes. It leads you to choose your seeds to fit the existing social arena, and to collect tangible winnings when a seed bears fruit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Due to having Ti as his dominant function, the INTP tends to live introspectively, engaged in introverted activities that allow him to ponder the causal order of the universe. However, at some point in his life, his inferior Fe will cause him to desire to interact with others and change his standing with them. For example, he might get tired of being seen as a "nerd" or a "geek." Or he may want people to acknowledge his intelligence and listen to all his interesting ideas. He will be frustrated that people seem to assign status based on Fe and Se values such as popularity and "coolness," because these appear illogical and irrelevant from the standpoint of Ti.

I more or less relate to this. When younger, I didn’t socialize much at all beyond a certain age. That has changed in my adulthood.

However, his inferior Fe is too weak to engage in the social games that people play, so it cannot fulfill its goals under its own steam.

I feel I could engage in typical social games and beat people at them, but it’s just not interesting and I’m not going to degrade myself to the point of fully participating in some “game” to better integrate myself in a group. It’s not that I outright frown upon all socialization, but this is just a routine with simple rules that does little to actually meet any objective (ie information reconnaissance, forming a network to achieve some goal, etc.). Although, I suppose simultaneously using social time to simultaneously do these other tasks is a bit of a game in and of itself.

Ne offers the INTP another perspective that can help with his social difficulties. It will encourage him to improvise, experiment, and attune himself to the world of possibilities in social interaction. He will be witty, unique, and say whatever nobody else thought of.

I can’t say I’m a unique wit when I socialize. Either I go off on completely mundane and boring series of everyday small talk to meet a person or type of people who I specifically want to know better (information gathering), or I can be a bit overly headstrong if it’s more that I’m talking with somebody to try to illicit a change (give ideas for how to better do things). I often think a good-natured wit would be a good skill to develop, though.

Furthermore, through his Ne creativity and experimentation, his Ti will be able to able to figure out the underlying principles behind socializing. During social interaction, the Ne can reign free, and the Ti can analyze everything afterwards when it won't interfere. Thus, the Ti is brought back on board and has a way of constructively relating to the task. When the Ti manifests itself to help an INTP figure out how people tick, it is helping him meet his Fe goals.

I definitely do analyze my interactions afterwards, based on what I’ve done and how people have responded. In the moment, I let the interaction just occur. I also do like understanding new things quite a bit, but I wouldn’t say people are too much a mystery I'm trying to figure out. I suppose on some superficial level, people are rather similar and I may not be trying to get beyond that for most people. Rather, there may be something unique or different about the set of people that I’m socializing with that I want to know. For example, when in a new environment I socialize a LOT to see how the people are similar or different from other people (ie New Yorkers vs. Small town; people at a classical concert vs heavy metal concert; community college students vs ivy league students). Once I’m familiar with my environment, I tend to socialize less.

Fundamentally, Ne frames the social world as a place of exciting new possibilities just waiting to be understood, providing the Ti with a way of semiotically orienting itself to those goals.

I do really like understanding, and I think a lot about getting to know the different cogs of society in order so that I could create new possibilities with this understanding. I’m not quite sure this is the same as the Ne which puts a new idea or spark out and waits to see where it goes – in the case of broader socialization. I suppose with closer friends, I do more of that though. I’ll often just create new scenarios to gather more information with people who I truly do want to get to know better beyond what I care to know in depth about *most* people. I can just throw out random ideas, say new things, be quite funny, and it's in a way I wouldn't do with people who aren't close friends. It's not that I dislike people at large, but I have limited time to delve into people's psyches.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts