Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Retired Administrator
16,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep finding interesting artists that I want to post about. So, here can be a good place to post about artists or other creators. Whatever is inspiring and you want to document.

Emily Carr (these are paintings from 1912-1913)

Paintings of the forest:

·
Banned
ISFP SEI-Fe
2,492 Posts

·
Retired Administrator
16,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm probably going to try to update this with any artist/creator I find interesting. To just sort of keep a running log.

I found some of this artists art while looking for digital art to learn from:

Wenjun Lin

I haven't read any of the stories they illustrated for. But it's amazing what can be done with digital art.

·
Retired Administrator
16,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't know Salvador Dali made cutlery.

I think as a kid I was just really concerned about his art. I remember seeing the clocks melting and it just seemed very concerning. And I never really liked surrealism, perhaps because of that?

But I just saw his cups and cutlery and that is pretty cool--I mean, I really appreciate the surrealism in the forms, and since they are supposed to be mundane objects--it really brings the surrealism into reality.

He also wrote a novel set in WW2 which seems like it'd be interesting to read.

·
Host
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ VLFE
19,243 Posts
Maxfield Parrish is a favorite of mine.

·
Retired Administrator
16,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maxfield Parrish is a favorite of mine.

View attachment 876439

View attachment 876440

View attachment 876441

View attachment 876442

View attachment 876443

Beautiful!

·
Retired Administrator
16,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rose Frantzen

Born and raised in Maquoketa, Iowa, Rose Frantzen attended the American Academy of Art in Chicago. While making a living through art fairs and portrait commissions, Rose stayed in Chicago and further pursued her study of painting at the Palette Chisel Academy. For a year and a half she worked under the mentorship of Richard Schmid, gaining first hand knowledge of the representational approach that Schmid presents in his influential book, “Alla Prima”. In 1993, Rose continued her education with a semester of anatomy and sculpture at the Lyme Academy of Fine Arts in Old Lyme, Connecticut. In the early 90’s, Rose traveled extensively, taking painting tours of Australia, Mexico, Guatemala, Russia, and throughout Europe. Her paintings of people and places in the U.S. and abroad went to galleries in Arizona, Colorado, Oklahoma, Illinois, Utah, and California. In 1991, with her parents, Rose purchased the former city hall in Maquoketa, opening Old City Hall Gallery on the first floor, using the second floor council chambers as a studio. She began to focus on paintings of small town and rural Iowa, painting subjects from life in the studio, around town, and in the surrounding countryside.
Over time, Rose’s paintings have taken on an allegorical quality in which an abstract or surreal setting presents the subject as an archetypal character seen on his or her own internal stage. For these multi-dimensional works, she incorporates diverse stylistic elements along with gilding, stained glass, and mosaic. All of her paintings are presented in handcrafted frames that play an integral part in the piece.
In 2003, Rose married artist/inventor Charles Morris whose work is also shown at Old City Hall Gallery.
Rose began teaching workshops at the Palette & Chisel in 2006 and in her own studio in Maquoketa in 2007. Upcoming workshops will bring her to both the Scottsdale Artist School and the Portrait Society of America. With a grant from the Iowa Arts Council, Rose recently completed a community-oriented project featuring 180 paintings of residents of her home town titled “Portrait of Maquoketa”. From November 6, 2009 through July 5, 2010, "Portrait of Maquoketa" will be shown at the Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery in Washington, DC.
Rose’s work has been featured in US Art Magazine, ArtTalk Southwest Art, Workshop Magazine, International Artist, and Portrait Signature, the journal of the American Society of Portrait Artists.
Oh--she worked under Richard Schmid. I want to read his book. I had a dream about this big tree with golden leaves in this dark lot in a town, and him showing it to me, after I watched some videos he made about oil painting. I forgot about him. I should add him to the thread--later maybe.

I hope that it's fine to use her painting as an avatar--I really like the colors and the feeling.

·
Retired Administrator
16,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Egon Schiele

is most famous for nude figures--which I won't include many unless I can find ones that are sort of more pg, but I really noticed his boat painting--I absolutely love how the lines describe the water. It's interesting when an artist can put a lot of themselves in a work but it still retains autonomy or something--like it still seems true to the essence of what is being painted:

·
Retired Administrator
16,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This post isn't about one artist--but a theme that I appreciate, which sometimes comes up in modern art:

The conflict between the role of domestic laborer and y'know...anything else. It's just based on my interpretation of the works though.

Michelangelo Pistoletto

Venus of the Rags

Janine Antoni

Loving Care

Janine Antoni is one of the modern artists that I really like--she could have gotten her own post, but I'll just throw in some other favorites:

ugh--the cow trough one has a nipple showing.

Allen Ginsberg

Homework

I couldn't find the recording I wanted, but this one seems good.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Egon Schiele

is most famous for nude figures--which I won't include many unless I can find ones that are sort of more pg, but I really noticed his boat painting--I absolutely love how the lines describe the water. It's interesting when an artist can put a lot of themselves in a work but it still retains autonomy or something--like it still seems true to the essence of what is being painted:

Love these specific ones! What he does to negative space is amazing, all that texture. 💖

·
Retired Administrator
16,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Love these specific ones! What he does to negative space is amazing, all that texture. 💖
My instructor for figure drawing class introduced him. He talked about the skintones as well...how Schiele uses a lot of different colors when you look at his paintings up close...like blues, yellows, pinks, and he really did something new with figures.

I find some of Schiele's work a bit too much, but I like the ones I posted too. lol

I think my instructor really liked him because my instructor was a fan of modern art, and Schiele kind of took figurative drawing into a more abstract space. He is an expressionist and yet he uses the concrete physical form as part of that expression.

I really like the boat one a lot--and then the couple and the water. But the water in the boat is just really amazing to me--that he managed to create such a visual affect with only scratchy looking lines. It's impressive since I find water really intimidating with all the ripples and reflections.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts