Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Team,

I'd like to gather your input on a theory I randomly thought of today.

Here it is:

My mother in law has VERY high Fi. She is the dominant parent in the household and she has a hard time seeing things from anyones point of view other than her own. (Do you love Fi as much as I do :))

Somehow my Ne made this connection today and came up with this:

It seems to reason that children of dominant parents with extremely high (unhealthy) Fi will rationally need to choose between one of two divergent paths:

1. Good Kid: Cope with the parent by walking on egg shells and constantly striving to please this parent, as unattainable as this alluding approval may be. This decision will result in the child having very high Fe.

2. Bad Kid: Cope with the parent by deciding that trying to please them is a futile effort. This child will stop trying to please the parent and turn inwards. This decision will result in a child with very low Fe (I wouldn't necessarily say high Fi)

My wife has VERY high Fe whereas my brother in law has VERY high Fi.

To all the smart ass ENTPs out there (all of us), I understand this is a sample size of one family and two people.

To all the sensors / feelers out there: I do realize that people are born with certain hardcoded traits, however I'm sure you probably recognize that different cultures skew differently on the Myers Briggs scale, so obviously the nurture side of the equation does have something to do with people's personalities and can serve to personify the traits people are born with)

The reason I'm asking is because:

1. These are the sort of stupid things I think about
2. I'd like to hear some of your opinions on the validity of the theory (non-falsifiable though it may be)
3. Most importantly I'd like to hear some other real life examples that either disagree or agree with the theory.

If you're thinking about about leaving a comment, just do it. Thanks for your help!

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
go post this to the infj forum and they will tell u how it really works.

they KNOW this stuff.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,428 Posts
l turned out somewhat like your wife, but low Fe next to say, an ENFJ if that's what she.
lt wasn't to be ''good'' as much as it was to be more expansive and socially acceptable, l guess.

What's interesting is that Fe is still kind of frowned on by my mom, her interactions are entirely based on the underlying feelings of a situation, with pretty much anyone even when it's not appropriate.

Which could also be Neish, she's INFP. She just doesn't really use any social skills whatsoever and will cause a lot of disruption :cool:

lt took me until mid teen years to adopt an Fe approach and even longer for it to really feel authentic.

Herm, my younger sister is also dominant Fi but is a teenager and uh, l'll just stop talking now.

·
Registered
696 Posts
l turned out somewhat like your wife, but low Fe next to say, an ENFJ if that's what she.
lt wasn't to be ''good'' as much as it was to be more expansive and socially acceptable, l guess.

What's interesting is that Fe is still kind of frowned on by my mom, her interactions are entirely based on the underlying feelings of a situation, with pretty much anyone even when it's not appropriate.

Which could also be Neish, she's INFP. She just doesn't really use any social skills whatsoever and will cause a lot of disruption :cool:

lt took me until mid teen years to adopt an Fe approach and even longer for it to really feel authentic.

Herm, my younger sister is also dominant Fi but is a teenager and uh, l'll just stop talking now.
aren't infp mothers the the best.

They have the oddest way of doing things. They also think much differently from us, but they at least try to bridge the gap sometimes:)

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
go post this to the infj forum and they will tell u how it really works.

they KNOW this stuff.
you really should probably do this.

Fe is a weird beast. You might be surprised at their perspectives.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
INFJs are the best. Try one.

Reactions: drmiller100

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Due to popular demand, I've passed this article in the infj forum,

I just wish someone had reminded me to take out this paragraph :)

To all the sensors / feelers out there: I do realize that people are born with certain hardcoded traits, however I'm sure you probably recognize that different cultures skew differently on the Myers Briggs scale, so obviously the nurture side of the equation does have something to do with people's personalities and can serve to personify the traits people are born with)

Probably not something I should have written to begin with! Oh well, I guess they already know enough about us to take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
1. Good Kid: Cope with the parent by walking on egg shells and constantly striving to please this parent, as unattainable as this alluding approval may be. This decision will result in the child having very high Fe.
Have very strong Fi mother (INFP). I did this whole "Good Kid" thing throughout my childhood and teenage years. Even after that I have middling Fe and strong Fi (but nowhere near as strong as my mothers).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts