Personality Cafe banner

Which thumb do you use to hit the spacebar and what is your dominant hand?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to think about things that people don't normally think about to quell my boredom. This particular thought has been bothering me for about a year now...

Which thumb do you use to hit the spacebace? Why? (If you use another finger to hit the spacebar, then choose the thumb that corresponds to the same hand.)

It's a strange question. I was mindlessly looking at my keyboard one day, waiting for my computer to boot, when I noticed that the left edge of my spacebar appeared remarkably more "oily" or "faded" (I don't know how to describe it...kind of like a permanent fingerprint) than the right side. I began to wonder why. I started to pay more attention to how I typed and realized that I use my left thumb to hit the spacebar. I purposefully tried to use my right thumb to make sure I wasn't biased and noticed that it was very hard to do so. In fact, it felt weird and foreign, almost like writing with your nondominant hand. I began to wonder if this phenomenon was attributed to right/left handedness. Funny thing is: I'm not left handed! I began to watch other people as they typed. I noticed that my mother and sister, both right handed, hit the spacebar with their right thumbs. I remembered that I am cross-eye dominant and concluded that I'm probably cross-thumb-typing dominant as well...after all, that wouldn't be much of a surprise.

Obviously, there's no empirical evidence to support my theory. That is why I'd like to take a poll and continue my study from there. Thank you for your participation! :proud:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@FiNe SiTe lol. If you hit the spacebar with your right thumb, then that's the first part of your answer (the part that comes before the "/"). Then, if you are right handed that is the second part of your answer (the part that comes after the "/"). So you would choose "Right Thumb/Right Handed" as your answer.

If you hit it with your left thumb and are right handed, you would choose: "Left Thumb/Right Handed". (I don't know how else to explain it. I hope this makes it more clear.)

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
@FiNe SiTe lol. If you hit the spacebar with your right thumb, then that's the first part of your answer (the part that comes before the "/"). Then, if you are right handed that is the second part of your answer (the part that comes after the "/"). So you would choose "Right Thumb/Right Handed" as your answer.

If you hit it with your left thumb and are right handed, you would choose: "Left Thumb/Right Handed". (I don't know how else to explain it. I hope this makes it more clear.)
Lol. Ah, now I understand.

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
I know that I can't space with my left hand. I've tried to do it before, but I just can't :S lol. I mean, I can, but it certainly doesn't feel right.

·
Rebel without a cause
2,725 Posts
Left thumb right handed, because it's the most efficient with simultaneously using the WASD-cluster. :)

No wait... I do use right thumb when writing... Weird. Yet I keep my left thumb over the spacebar anyway... :laughing:

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Left thumb, right handed. The reason - same as above. Probably true for most PC gamers ;)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hit the spacebar with my right index finger...

...I don't get to vote. ;_;
Right handed. Right index finger. No vote for me then. Us index finger users are always discriminated! :shocked:
I accounted for this. See OP:
(If you use another finger to hit the spacebar, then choose the thumb that corresponds to the same hand.)
So, @Lachesis would vote "Right Thumb/Right Hand".

·
Registered
799 Posts
(If you use another finger to hit the spacebar, then choose the thumb that corresponds to the same hand.)
Sorry, I've been really tired today. Brain does not compute well. Yes I would vote right hand right thumb. I will put the vote in.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I generally hit the space bar with my right index finger, and I'm right handed. I feel like a rebel now!

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
I am trying this right now to make sure. Right/right.
That's kinda exactly what I wanted to write. :dry:

But now I realise that I'm not actually using a thumb and I don't know the touch system. :laughing: :tongue:

But basically right/right.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Right hand for both generally, though I use my left when playing certain games. I didn't know which hand I used off the top of my head. I had to type out some random text to see (haha). I wonder if it has anything to do with learning to type. In school, we had to study a computer program that told us where to place our hands to reach each key. I'm not sure if it told us to hit the spacebar with a left or right thumb.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Right hand for both generally, though I use my left when playing certain games. I didn't know which hand I used off the top of my head. I had to type out some random text to see (haha). I wonder if it has anything to do with learning to type. In school, we had to study a computer program that told us where to place our hands to reach each key. I'm not sure if it told us to hit the spacebar with a left or right thumb.
I remember those classes. I hated them. The ones that I suffered through were only concerned with the precise placement other four/eight fingers (which I still rebel against). They just insisted that the spacebar was hit with a thumb...they never said which one. In fact, when I was learning, they told me to always have both thumbs over the spacebar. So I automatically assumed that we had to hit it with both...yeah, that didn't work out so well and I eventually fired my right thumb. (Bastard gets to chill while every other finger is typing. :dry:)

1 - 20 of 84 Posts