Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Yoruba have an interesting word: "Itutu"
Here's what it means:

Taken from Wikipedia entry for Cool (aesthetic)

"Author Robert Farris Thompson, professor of art history at Yale University, suggests that Itutu, which he translates as 'mystic coolness,'[6] is one of three pillars of a religious philosophy created in the 15th century[7] by Yoruba and Igbo civilizations of West Africa. Cool, or Itutu, contained meanings of conciliation and gentleness of character, of generosity and grace, and the ability to defuse fights and disputes. It also was associated with physical beauty. In Yoruba culture, Itutu is connected to water, because to the Yoruba the concept of coolness retained its physical connotation of temperature.[8] He cites a definition of cool from the Gola people of Liberia, who define it as the ability to be mentally calm or detached, in an other-worldly fashion, from one's circumstances, to be nonchalant in situations where emotionalism or eagerness would be natural and expected.[5] Joseph M. Murphy writes that "cool" is also closely associated with the deity Òsun of the Yoruba
religion.[9]"

C'mon fellow INTP's, I know you got some thoughts for me on this one...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Liberia has been added to my Things to Destroy After Taking over the United States list.

Scheming buggers had it coming for a while now...

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
That's a very interesting definition. I think of Itutu's relation to water as the ability to adapt and change, to flow around chaos, to extinguish its emotional fires. To put it more modernly, it's the mental state of being cool under pressure, to zig when they zag; to be cool, calm and collected. This definition reminds me of the calm and serene Buddhist monks who simply carry a pale of water up a mountain top, or that movie Cool Hand Luke, where ol’ Luke stays calm, quiet and relaxed until the right time to fight. In Greek mythology, Hesia (Vesta), the sister of Jove, was the goddess of hearth and flame, who Apollo and Poseidon wanted to marry and sex up, but she rejected them and stayed a virgin goddess for eternity. She was worshiped in temples for being forgiving and calming, never warring like the other gods did. Apparently, the Yoruba of South Western Africa represent “Itutu” with rich artwork, like this:

Itutu reminds me of this recent Vsauce video on the word, cool.

I didn't realize before but the wiki-timeline to the origin of cool came from Itutu in this thread.

Timeline:

·
Registered
729 Posts
That's ..... 'cool' lol

I do believe I have found a new word to throw at people ^_^

Test Run:

Hahaha! Look at that guy leaning against the wall, trying so hard to be itutu ... fail~

Yea... no. I don't see it working.

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's ..... 'cool' lol

I do believe I have found a new word to throw at people ^_^

Test Run:

Hahaha! Look at that guy leaning against the wall, trying so hard to be itutu ... fail~

Yea... no. I don't see it working.
Lol

(10char)

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read this and I thought like "Ancient INTP?" Haha
They may have even known our qualities back then.
Cool :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts