Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
INTJ
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Also can you feel quite hostile?

I notice a big part of me produces imaginary arguments with characters, and it leads sometimes to internal fights/ fictional violence sometimes. It leads me to feel quite combative/hostile at times towards people. I can manage it and calm it, but it's like a part of me that's just there.

Do I have to just accept this as part of me, or can it be resolved?

I'm mostly ok to people in real life, but sometimes it leads to petty behaviour and an anti-social demeanour.

I'm trying to continue to be more social and forgive etc but It's still a part of me.

·
Registered
INFJ - MM BP/C(S), 825
189 Posts
It's a part of you, but it's not 'evil' or something you should be ashamed of. It's how your brain is choosing to express to you a need you have. So you making these fictional things to cope with it is completely fine, as long as you maintain sense that they're just fantasies.

If it's happening quite a bit, you should ask yourself what you can add to your life that might help you have more ways to express that need. In this case, to be competitive. You want to compete? Find something you like to compete in, and go outwit real people, it's way more satisfying. And in an environment where they're trying to do the same to you, like a game, it's completely acceptable.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I used to have a similar fixation, although I can't really claim it is entirely gone, I believe I just manage it better now. In my case, though, which may differ greatly from your own, the issue was that I was trying to resolve future setbacks before they happened using scenarios that are cobbled together from past experiences where I wish something different would have occurred and anxious anticipation of something that couldn't be disproven or proven, but which came out of me being uncomfortable with uncertainty in both the future and (oddly) the past.

And I did get myself riled up about such things. As I got older and matured (albeit in an scattered and uneven fashion) I learned to quiet that habit and turn it into a method for anticipating problems and troubleshooting, but not so much it held me back from engaging with the world and/or being combative and aggressive with others.

I guess this isn't the best advice since I think it depends on the individual and you are not me, but that's what it put me in mind of.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5
69 Posts
I can attest to this. From my understanding, INTJs and INFPs are likely to exhibit the behavior due to persistent Fi (1st or 3rd) and intuition. If I get too in my head about people, I can often find myself pacing back and forth while I experience fictional arguments with them, who I only briefly had a negative thought about but blew it out of proportion to the point of talking to myself and cursing under my breath. Sometimes it's just an argument, other times it is what seems like genuine hatred. As an INFP, I can adapt fairly easily to social situations if need be, and I imagine this is more difficult for the INTJ's stronger focus on their own emotions letting their current mind state have more dictation on their external actions. What helps is getting more in touch with the real world such as practical application of a goal. A lot of times Fi assumes too much, and can easily get the best of you. I try my best not to make assumptions about a person's character or motivation, as it does more harm than good. You wouldn't want someone making that kind of assumption about yourself after all. If you don't know, let it go.

·
Registered
INTJ
1,441 Posts
I definitely curse and kill people in my head when I’m really frustrated by them. Then I breathe and move on. I don’t bother getting into heated arguments in real life; most of the things I do say is already clipped—it’s too much trouble. It’s rare for me to lose my composure. I have to be pushed to find it worth it.

Violent thoughts like that is okay as long as you don’t follow through with them.

·
Registered
INTJ
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I definitely curse and kill people in my head when I’m really frustrated by them. Then I breathe and move on. I don’t bother getting into heated arguments in real life; most of the things I do say is already clipped—it’s too much trouble. It’s rare for me to lose my composure. I have to be pushed to find it worth it.

Violent thoughts like that is okay as long as you don’t follow through with them.
Haha this made me smile, like some of the other posts I've seen you make. You are wise with just the right amount of evil about you.

And I like your avatar. You look like you take no shit.😈

1 - 7 of 7 Posts