Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, IR seems a good one, plus a philosophy minor, how does that sound?

International Relations major+Philosophy minor, how does that sounds? Just need an impression answer. No need to detail analyse but you are welcome to analyse if you would like to.

^after answering^

International Relations major+English minor, now how about this? Makes any better?

Honest impression answers please. Does the philosophy makes anything? Pls.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have never been to college, but if I did I would study for a job to "walk into". This meaning a (even in this economy) job in fair or relative demand, then work for a few years, pay off school debt, and then take a nice community college philosophy course, or English or something you find fun and interesting. My two cents , hope it helps.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
It seems like major matters enormously when you are in college. Once you are out of college, the only thing that matters is what you need for your next step. If you don't know what you want your next step to be, majoring in something you're interested in is reasonable. However, realistically, I have never seen any interest in minor except from graduate or professional schools. So if you think you might want to go into law, philosophy classes could be useful, but frankly I don't think it would make as big of a difference as having a high GPA or doing well on the GRE or being really involved in a student organization or an internship. As for English, unless you're seeking to go into publishing, again, probably won't matter. It's not really the same game as high school where the more well-rounded and detailed your academic credentials were, the better off you were when applying for colleges. After college it's more like the more practical skills, experiencem and expertise you have, the better off you are going to be - except in the case of graduate school, in which case your GPA and GRE are probably going to be paramount.

·
Registered
533 Posts

since you ask Honest
My impression is: waste of money and time because neither have much economical value and there are already to many people in that field. Unless you consider learning a hobby and don't need to make a living, please look at reality and see what is needed and how you fit into that puzzle.
Realize that unless you go working a trade or a craft, you will start at the bottom of the ladder in a company and by the time you could use any knowledge you learned in IR, it will already be useless. That is, if you actually find a job in the career path you want to work in; which is not that likely.

philosophy: unless you want to be either a philosophy teacher, a religious worker or an academic, don't do it.
English: every liberal arts student and their dog took English; and unless you want to be a literary writer, keep it as a hobby.

what to take: anything that involves science, math, engineering and technology. If that is too difficult; anything that leads to a trade or a craft. If that doesn't sound like fun; realize that compared to the shitty jobs, and no financial security for the rest of your career is probably even less fun.

·
Registered
707 Posts
So, IR seems a good one, plus a philosophy minor, how does that sound?

International Relations major+Philosophy minor, how does that sounds? Just need an impression answer. No need to detail analyse but you are welcome to analyse if you would like to.

^after answering^

International Relations major+English minor, now how about this? Makes any better?

In either case graduate school is a must for you..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts