Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting notion and a notion I am presently experimenting with as I type this!

People tend to have a habit of behaving differently on the Internet than how they act in person. This could be for various reasons, some many different than others. Regardless the reason, I'm curious about what types peoples' Internet personas are compared to their "real" personalities. I put quotation marks around that word because I fully believe certain types of people are in fact more genuine on the Internet than off.

So.

Run through those tests / compare and contrast the traits yourself. One for your "real" self and one for your Internet persona. I think the results will be neat to see.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
uhh...
Am I supposed to do a self-report or do I make an AI based on my behavior and argue with it?
It'll probably end in an explosion one way or another either way.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
IMO, many on-line characters/behaviors are trumped up. It compensates for what's lacking in real life, like personal fulfillment, financial achievement, education merit, career advancement/choice, relational harmony, social circle, etc...

It's easier to concoct a make-believe persona on-line to make up for something that's lost or not there IRL.

Even if not, on-line personality seems to be a bit of exaggeration (more mature, more successful, more forceful, more brazen, more rational, more polite, etc.) than the real persons.

I know I appear to be more logical and zen here but in real life I am not so Yoda dealing with self, family, and everything else.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I have different "images" on different forums and forms of social media.
But on PerC, I'm as me as I can get... without revealing my identity. That's the best part.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I feel like I get more opportunity to express myself online, but that's because there are no temporal or social constraints - I can give my views through writing at greater detail. Generally I find it much easier to express myself through writing than speaking - at least, my intentions. I don't think I'm a different person on or offline. It's all about the medium of expression, and the context of discussion I suppose.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Internet me I think is pretty similar to real me. But with real me, almost no thought goes into what I'm saying, and internet me is much more thought out. Because I have the time to think things out.
So in real life I'm probably even more argumentative and loud n outgoing.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'm pretty much a dick that doesn't have any friends, both online, and off.

Everything is going according to plan. #Winning

·
Banned
7,396 Posts
I think I'm more or less the same, though I'm probably more muted with regards to certain topics. I think when summing up the people I speak with offline to here, I'm overall much nicer irl since I'll simply spend more time interacting with pleasant individuals. On here though, I can contest what I dislike since I'll come across it with more frequency. But personality-wise, I think I'm the same.

·
Registered
25,972 Posts
There is no distinction. Depending the day; I am and am never myself, at all times, always.

·
Banned
4,143 Posts
I'm similar to me, but I'm more likely to leave a conversation when feelings start to enter into the discussion. I care more about people liking me, after all, I will meet them again... I can't just log off real life.

·
Charge'n Thru The Night
14,830 Posts
gotta keep it real! xD. pretty much the same person on and offline. i say the same stuff, and do the same things =o. the jokes i say online, i ll say it in real xD. i think im a little crazier offline because there will be less misunderstandings xD

1 - 20 of 33 Posts