Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Along with social anxiety disorder, this is something I've been told I exhibit strong symptoms of.

Any suggestions on how I can battle this?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
This is something that I experience very intimately, but have only been able to articulate for the last little while. You have my sympathy... because it's incredibly debilitating.

I don't have a perfect solution to this, but for myself, it's been helpful for me to think through some of my past experiences and try to reframe them as they might have been experienced by somebody else. For example, I recently ended up sobbing in the bathroom for over an hour because my boss reprimanded me and was actually so distraught that I had to go home sick because I literally was incapable of pulling myself together. For me, it felt like I was being told that I was completely worthless, bordering on criminal. In the process of venting about the situation, I eventually asked myself, "Would someone else have reacted this way? Is this a normal reaction to this situation?" For me, the answer was no. I realised some time later that all he had really said to me was "don't do that" in a very general sense. He had not even really been disciplining me; the discussion was more about the office atmosphere than something I had personally done.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is just that I've found it helpful to remind myself that my subjective emotional experience often does not translate into objectivity and to try to work towards being aware of that fact... not just in retrospect, but during the moment as well. It's hard, but when experiencing the kinds of strong feelings that I so often do, I try to take a moment to assess whether or not they're justified.

It would be really great to hear from someone else who has coped with this. I'll be watching this thread really carefully.

·
Banned
465 Posts
Out of curiosity, what exactly is the difference between this and SAD?

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Out of curiosity, what exactly is the difference between this and SAD?
I'm thinking social anxiety disorder is a bit more broad, whereas interpersonal rejection sensitivity is something a bit more specific that might account for the former. For instance, you may have SAD, but it may not be caused completely or at all by interpersonal rejection sensitivity... or IRS for short. lol

·
Registered
384 Posts
I read a study about this...it said it was a central feature of social anxiety disorder???. Along with some other research I did, it says the best thing to do is have therapy. I found quite a bit of information on the internet. Sometimes after reading some of your threads on these similar topics I wish I could just give you a big ole hug and make all your problems go away ;] @MonsieurMelancholy. I hate that we have to go through crap like this! Yano I have Bipolar II and PTSD and it makes life very difficult. I hate taking meds and going to therapy but me personally I have to. If not...nothing gets accomplished...and there's no way I could have ever ever made the grades this summer that I did...without it I am literally disabled. I really hope someone here or maybe a therapist can help you. You don't deserve to be going through all this!!!!

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read a study about this...it said it was a central feature of social anxiety disorder???. Along with some other research I did, it says the best thing to do is have therapy. I found quite a bit of information on the internet. Sometimes after reading some of your threads on these similar topics I wish I could just give you a big ole hug and make all your problems go away ;] @MonsieurMelancholy. I hate that we have to go through crap like this! Yano I have Bipolar II and PTSD and it makes life very difficult. I hate taking meds and going to therapy but me personally I have to. If not...nothing gets accomplished...and there's no way I could have ever ever made the grades this summer that I did...without it I am literally disabled. I really hope someone here or maybe a therapist can help you. You don't deserve to be going through all this!!!!
I've gotten a lot better since a year ago this time. I feel more mentally healthy. A year ago this time was ugly. A lot of the upturn, as I have said, is discovering this place and such intelligent, enlightened, and compassionate people who actually get where I'm coming from without being judgmental.

I recall writing a chronicle of all the things that had been bothering me over the course of a year and letting my psychiatrist read it. And we both pretty much came to the conclusion that interpersonal rejection sensitivity is a key factor in all of it.

And so I read up on it. And I feel better for knowing that this is something legitimate that many people struggle with. It really takes the edge off to have it normalized.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts