Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interpreting Cognitive Function Test Results

Many of us who are interested in the subject of cognitive functions have taken this test...

Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes

However, I noticed a few interesting things in the pattern of the results, and thought I might share.

1. The test makes guesses at your MBTI type by adding the orientations of the cognitive functions as if they were MBTI dichotomies. This program really isn't that intelligent, and only offers suggestions for MBTI type based on the following criteria...

Introvert vs. Extrovert is determined by comparing the combined scores of (Fi, Ni, Si, Ti) vs. (Fe, Ne, Se, Te)
iNtuitive vs. Sensing is determined by comparing the combined scores of (Ne, Ni) vs. (Se, Si)
Feeling vs. Thinking is determined by comparing the combined scores of (Fe, Fi) vs. (Te, Ti)
Judging vs. Perceiving is determined by comparing the combined scores of (Fe, Fi, Te, Ti) vs. (Ne, Ni, Se, Si)

2. The function scores may appear to strongly defy any given MBTI type model, but this is likely more of an illusion (caused by the way the data is presented) than not.

For example, my results usually look something like this...

extraverted Sensing (Se)************************** (25.7)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si)************** (16.5)
unused
extraverted Intuiting (Ne)****************************** (30.7)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni)**************************************** (40.5)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te)*********************** (23.9)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti)**************************** (28.7)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe)************************************ (36.8)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi)****************************** (30.7)
good use

Which when put in order look like this...

(Ni)**************************************** (40.5)
(Fe)************************************ (36.8)
(Fi)****************************** (30.7)
(Ne)****************************** (30.7)
(Ti)**************************** (28.7)
(Se)************************** (25.7)
(Te)*********************** (23.9)
(Si)************** (16.5)

Or simplified to this...

Ni >Fe>Fi>Ne>Ti>Se>Te>Si

I've spoken with more than a few people who are under the impression that results such as this disproves the standard function order model, as this function order cannot fit any given MBTI type. However, allow me to put these seemingly disorganized scores into graphic format with standard and shadow functions paired, and all of a sudden, the INFJ pattern becomes very clear.

View attachment 1477

So, if you're having trouble with your results from this test, or are perhaps having trouble determining your MBTI type, consider dropping your results into this format for different types and see which type fits the best.

For example, these results actually suggested ENFJ for my type because my extroverted function scores (total of 117.1) were higher than my introverted function scores (total of 116.4), mostly due to my Si being so low. Here's what the same scores would look like in the ENFJ model...

View attachment 1478

As you can see, this doesn't fit nearly as well, and is more evidence that the predictive parameters are not especially accurate.

3. Don't forget to assume a margin of error. This is a self assessment test, and some of the questions may be more or less biased toward your personal preferences. Also, you might be rating yourself a little higher or lower than you actually are, so always assume a +5 or -5 point spread either way if results don't quite fit the model. For instance, I'm pretty sure I'm over estimating my Fi in the above example. If it were to drop about 5 points, my INFJ graph model would fit perfectly. Also, your development might be a little outside any given model, and that's perfectly normal. Just find the model that best fits within the +5 or -5 point variable for development preferences, and you should have your MBTI type.

Now you are armed with the understanding of how to interpret your results on this test better than the program's predictive parameters.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Good way to revisit the results. I haven't had a great deal of success with function tests, although I do in principle prefer the functional analysis models. Tried to do an honest run through the one posted, today... More decisive result than the usual for me.

Ti: 43.5
Se: 42.7
Fi: 30.4
Si: 30.1
Ne: 29.2
Te: 29.1
Ni: 20.9
Fe: 13.9

A bit surprised by how close the top two are to one another. More surprised that the top two and the bottom two are pretty much in proper order as to what would be expected. (Although, one would think that by middle age I'd have developed some damn Fe. I think I stopped caring a few years ago, ha ha.)

These results imply a pretty tight and comfortable Ti-Se synthesis, I think. Though it also makes me wonder if I haven't taken a step or two -back- in development, becoming more one-sided than I used to be.

·
Banned
541 Posts
extroverted Sensing (Se) ********************************* (33.3)
introverted Sensing (Si) *********************** (23.3)
extroverted Intuiting (Ne) *********************************** (35.4)
introverted Intuiting (Ni) **************************** (28.2)
extroverted Thinking (Te) *************************************** (39.5)
introverted Thinking (Ti) **************************************** (40.6)
extroverted Feeling (Fe) ****************** (19)
introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************* (21.1)

Pretty interesting, although, the website misspelled extroverted every time it was used...so it loses some credibility in my book. Will anyone who knows about enneagrams tell me where this puts me? I test ENTP very frequently but sometimes test as ENTJ. I don't think I'm that standoffish, and despite what these test results say I'm pretty sure that I have a very well developed Fe. I was raised by a single INFJ mother, and even though it was EXTREMELY rough at times, I came out of it as a pretty socially conscious person who is called "charming" by ladies pretty frequently(that's Fe, right?). Though, I do sometimes find myself in situations where I've hurt someone's feelings and don't understand how I have done so, even after it has been explained to me(gotta really watch what I say around those introverted feelers) Sooo, what would my enneagram be, I have no understanding of it and don't really care to learn.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I love the graphical interpretation here, but mine don't fit.
I also am growing increasingly convinced that I've not developed 'naturally'.

On regular online MBTI tests I score INFP. Also other tests seem to support the NF bit. I always seem to have
something analytical as the 'secondary' option (ie Catalyst primary and Theorist secondary). I feel that I most relate to INFP but am still exploring.

Here's what I tested on cognitive scores (in descending order):
Ne (43.9%) excellent use
Fi (37.7%) excellent use
Fe (35.7%) good use
Ni (31.7%) good use
Ti (30.7%) good use
Si (24.3%) average use
Se (21.5%) limited use
Te (15.3%) unused

The system ID'd me as INFP with alternates of ENFP and INTP. The graphical analysis doesn't help me too much:

(Ack.. didn't mean for it to be that big!)

~ Boots~

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Well I used the chart method to decipher my latest results and am hence confused. The end result for that test was ESFP and then if that didn't suit me, then ISFP or something else unlikely.

Sorry I used your chart, I'm too lazy to make my own lol.

Interesting, no?

Reactions: trice

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Thanks, very useful for my results. They can be quite confusing.

Mine
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************************* (43.9)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************** (38.9)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************************* (33.6)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************************* (31.9)
good use
introverted Sensing (Si) ************************** (26.6)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************ (24.6)
average use
extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************ (24.6)
average use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *************** (15.3)
unused

Fi/Fe <-> Ne/Ni Si/Se Ti/Te (Te + Ti are probably switched because of Te being my inferior function, not sure what happened with my sky-rocketing Ne though, might've had an inspirational moment).

·
Registered
602 Posts
interesting. i love this test, i remember it was taken down or was broken a little while ago. im glad its back.

extraverted Sensing (Se) *********************** (23)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ****************************** (30.1)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) **************************** (28.4)
average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ****************************** (30.2)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *********************************** (35.2)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) *********************************** (35.2)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************* (21.1)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************* (37.2)
excellent use

maybe ill make a graph later. i did not expect to have the same Ti as Te tho so thats interesting haha. or Ni to be higher than Ne. tho i still got INFP as my result, with possible INTJ or ENFP.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
xtraverted Sensing (Se) ************************** (26.9)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si) ************** (14.9)
unused
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************************** (45)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************* (37.8)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *********************************** (35.1)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************* (37.1)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************** (20.6)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************** (22.8)
limited use
Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ENTP

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Your Cognitive Development Profile
The forty-eight questions you rated earlier tap into the eight cognitive processes. Some questions tapped into basic or developed use of a process used by itself, while other questions tapped into use of multiple processes at once. The profile below is based on your responses. The number of squares indicate strength of response. The equivalent numeric is shown in parentheses along with likely level of development.

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ******************************* (31)
good use
introverted Sensing (Si) ***************** (17.6)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) **************************** (28.9)
average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************************* (49.1)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ****************** (18.7)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ***************************** (29.8)
average use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************************** (38)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************** (26.1)
average use
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFJ

Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Intuiting (Ni): Transforming with a meta-perspective. Withdrawing from the world and focusing your mind to receive an insight or realization. Checking if synergy results. Trying out a realization to transform things.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Feeling (Fe): Building trust through giving relationships. Empathically responding to others' needs and take on their needs and values as your own. Checking for respect and trust. Giving and receiving support to grow closer to people.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFJ, or INTJ

If these results are different from what you know of yourself, you might consider why your developmental pattern does not align with your expectation. You might also consider exploring this result as a possible better fit.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
extraverted Sensing (Se) *************************** (27.3)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si) ******** (8.9)
unused
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************************** (44.5)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************************* (31.1)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ****************************** (30.1)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************* (37.5)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************** (22.9)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************** (38.3)
excellent use

·
Registered
806 Posts
extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************************* (37.8)
excellent use
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************* (21.2)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) **************************************** (40.9)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ***************************** (29.7)
average use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ***************** (17.3)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************ (24.7)
average use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************** (26.6)
average use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ****************************************** (42)
excellent use
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ENFP

Lead (Dominant) Process
Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

Introverted Feeling (Fi): Staying true to who you really are. Paying close attention to your personal identity, values and beliefs. Checking with your conscience. Choosing behavior congruent with what is important to you.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: INFP, or ESFP

If these results are different from what you know of yourself, you might consider why your developmental pattern does not align with your expectation. You might also consider exploring this result as a possible better fit.

The Four Temperaments
Corresponding best-fit temperaments based on your profile: Improviser; secondly Catalyst; then Theorist; and lastly, Stabilizer.

Well...this is confusing. I thought I was a ISFP, so how can I have such well developed Ne?

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************************* (37.8)
excellent use
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************* (21.2)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) **************************************** (40.9)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ***************************** (29.7)
average use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ***************** (17.3)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************ (24.7)
average use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************** (26.6)
average use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ****************************************** (42)
excellent use
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ENFP

Lead (Dominant) Process
Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

Introverted Feeling (Fi): Staying true to who you really are. Paying close attention to your personal identity, values and beliefs. Checking with your conscience. Choosing behavior congruent with what is important to you.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: INFP, or ESFP

The Four Temperaments
Corresponding best-fit temperaments based on your profile: Improviser; secondly Catalyst; then Theorist; and lastly, Stabilizer.

Well...this is confusing. I thought I was a ISFP, so how can I have such well developed Ne?
I have pretty much the same issue as you. My Fi overrides Se but I'm still primarily ESFP according to results (or ISFP or ENFP I believe it was). I'm becoming more and more sure of myself with all the help I'm getting plus the endless research and introspection lol. I also get Improviser/Catalyst, maybe that has more to do with it, maybe that's where the ESFP comes from plus the presence of Fi/Se in your top 4. I do see the pattern in their guesses between ours though with you having both I/ENFP and ESFP being third so you're decidedly extraverted like my own. I'm trying to figure out how I have high Fe and Si when I'm decidedly xSFP. I wonder how common this is, I haven't been paying much attention to others. I'm envious at how well developed the majority of yours are though lol. If you are ISFP for sure your Te and Ni are at least in the right order same as me (but reversed obviously).

·
Registered
78 Posts
extraverted Sensing (Se) ***************************** (29.9)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si) ************ (12.3)
unused
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ********************************************* (45.8)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************************** (32.8)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************************ (36.8)
excellent use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************************************* (45)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********** (10.3)
unused
introverted Feeling (Fi) *************************** (27.7)
average use

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ENTP

Im a border line E anyway.

I recommend reviewing their description for the personality types Since they did sound a little different then the others.

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
extraverted Sensing (Se) ***************** (17.6)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************************* (33.7)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************* (37.7)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) *********************** (23.2)
limited use
extraverted Thinking (Te) **************************** (28.4)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************** (26.6)
average use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) **************************** (28.5)
average use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ******************************************** (44.7)
excellent use

INFP function order: Fi-Ne-Si-Te-Fe-Ni-Se-Ti
My function order: Fi-Ne-Si-Te-Fe-Ti-Ni-Se

It's almost a perfect fit. Yet people on this site insist I'm an extrovert. :shocked:

...Then I again, I kinda figured out which question went with which function. I may have been subconsciously skewing my answers in a certain direction. That, and I'm not very confident in my creative abilities. I want to be creative, but I somehow doubt that I really am. Every time I do something random on this forum, I feel like I'm forcing myself to do it just to prove to myself that I'm an intuitive.

Y'know, I think I'll make a few graphs just for the heck of it. :cool: *opens up Excel*

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Funny. I just took the functions test and then found this post.

extraverted Sensing (Se) ******************************** (32.6)
good use
introverted Sensing (Si) ***************************** (29.3)
average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************* (37.5)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************** (26.3)
average use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ****************************** (30.2)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) **************************** (28.5)
average use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) *********************** (23.4)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ******************************** (32.6)
good use

·
Registered
737 Posts
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************************* (33.9)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ********************************* (33.7)
extraverted Feeling (Fe) *********************************** (35)
introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************************* (31.8)
introverted Feeling (Fi) ******************************* (31.6)
extraverted Thinking (Te) ***************************** (29.6)
introverted Sensing (Si) ************************** (26.7)
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ***************** (17.7)

Ni>Se>Fe>Ti>Fi>Te>Si>Ne

---

extraverted Sensing (Se) ********************************* (33.7)
introverted Sensing (Si) ************************** (26.7)
Se is preferred.

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ***************** (17.7)
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************************* (33.9)
Ni is preferred.

extraverted Thinking (Te) ***************************** (29.6)
introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************************* (31.8)
Ti is preferred, though I feel there should be a greater clarification between Te and Ti.

extraverted Feeling (Fe) *********************************** (35)
introverted Feeling (Fi) ******************************* (31.6)
Fe is preferred, though I could understand how Fe and Fi could be confused.

So, again, either xNFJ or xSTP.

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
Okay, here are the graphs. I was going to post them last night, but I was far too tired to think coherently.

If Ni were higher, my shadow functions would match up to ENFP. I could simply be overestimating my Fi and Si while underestimating my Ne, Te, and Ni.

And here, if my Ti were much lower and my Se a bit higher, then my shadow functions would fit INFP.

If I grossly overestimated my Fi, overestimated my Ne, underestimated my Fe, and slightly underestimated my Ti, then I would fit ESFJ. Notice that there is very little difference between Ti and Te here. But that would also require that I grossly underestimated my Se, underestimated my Ni, and overestimated my Te.

And here, I could fit ISFJ if I had overestimated my Fi, Ne, and Te. But my Se is so low...

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
INFP function order: Fi-Ne-Si-Te-Fe-Ni-Se-Ti
My function order: Fi-Ne-Si-Te-Fe-Ti-Ni-Se

It's almost a perfect fit. Yet people on this site insist I'm an extrovert. :shocked:

...Then I again, I kinda figured out which question went with which function. I may have been subconsciously skewing my answers in a certain direction. That, and I'm not very confident in my creative abilities. I want to be creative, but I somehow doubt that I really am. Every time I do something random on this forum, I feel like I'm forcing myself to do it just to prove to myself that I'm an intuitive.

Y'know, I think I'll make a few graphs just for the heck of it. :cool: *opens up Excel*
I'll parrot what I've heard often myself: you could be just an exttraverted INFP or an intraverted ENFP.

I am starting to know most of those myself but I am concious of it every time and force myself to make sure I'm not being biased. The end result is always the same although I am usually expecting something quite different, so I must be doing something right. Judging by my answers (crappy Ni?) the whole picture I end up believing is gonna end up INTx yet it comes out always ESFP. Bias may be an issue for some but I don't think everyone especially if you're very serious about finding out the truth, not just what you'd want it to come out as, which for me would be more likely the very opposite. As far as creative abilities I wouldn't worry about it I feel the same way yet I'm told I am all the time. It's hard to let yourself (and the expectations by others on you) completely let go but that's what I feel I do instead of conforming to what I think I should be like or what others expect of me and I feel a lot healthier emotionally ever since. Hopefully that helps. :happy:

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
I'll parrot what I've heard often myself: you could be just an exttraverted INFP or an intraverted ENFP.

I am starting to know most of those myself but I am concious of it every time and force myself to make sure I'm not being biased. The end result is always the same although I am usually expecting something quite different, so I must be doing something right. Judging by my answers (crappy Ni?) the whole picture I end up believing is gonna end up INTx yet it comes out always ESFP. Bias may be an issue for some but I don't think everyone especially if you're very serious about finding out the truth, not just what you'd want it to come out as, which for me would be more likely the very opposite. As far as creative abilities I wouldn't worry about it I feel the same way yet I'm told I am all the time. It's hard to let yourself (and the expectations by others on you) completely let go but that's what I feel I do instead of conforming to what I think I should be like or what others expect of me and I feel a lot healthier emotionally ever since. Hopefully that helps. :happy:
Okay, but please tell me what you think of my lovely graphs and my analysis of them. :cool:

1 - 20 of 134 Posts