Personality Cafe banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Spam-I-am
13,638 Posts
I heard that most INTJs prefer a cynical dark form of comedy.

I think this pretty much sums up what I find funny. I like comedians like George Carlin who aren't afraid to make fun of taboo topics. Maybe it's just because I find all the traditional forms of comedy boring or predictable (I tend to hate Rom-Coms).

Is there validity to this idea? Or am I simply seeing patterns and similarities where none exist?

Here is a classic example of what I'm talking about: (George Carlin - 'People are Boring') <--- YouTube it
I love George
saw him several times prior to his departure

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Jonathan Swift, George Carlin, Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams, Liam Williams, some Monty Python spring to mind. Steven Pinker has some excellent satire in his non-fiction books - both his "Blank Slate" and "The Better Angels of Our Nature" are rather snort-inducing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
George Carlin, Dave Chappelle, Lewis Black, and Louis C.K. are about the only comedians I enjoy. Like many people here, I really enjoy dark humor. I enjoy the honesty and truth behind the rants of George Carlin and Lewis Black in particular. I think the thing that makes me laugh the most is surreal humor. What I can't stand is modern sitcoms and romantic comedy crap that pollutes network TV these days. Big Bang Theory in particular might be my least favorite thing on this planet and makes me rage any time I see it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
George Carlin, Russell Peters, Eddie Griffin, Jimmy Carr, Amy Schumer and to a lesser extend Chris Rock is what I listen to.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I find most comedy too predictable to enjoy, though I might find myself laughing to tears at an off the cuff comment that comes out of nowhere while others look on as if I have some kind of retardation.

I enjoy satire, masterful subtlety and fresh use of the English language. Chris Morris, Charlie Brooker and Stewart Lee do this well.

I just discovered Charlie Brooker's "A Touch of Cloth" and quite enjoyed it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Brian Regan and Jim Gaffigan are my two favorites, closely followed by Mike Birbiglia and John Mulaney. I tend to like those who have a sarcastic/cynical outlook on the ordinary things of life.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My favorites include: Shaun of the Dead, Talladega Nights, Stepbrothers and etc (im a big Will Ferrel fan, except when hes doing the corny commercial movies).

Ok i saw 'in the thick of it' based on the suggestions on this thread, and finished it in a week. Absolutely loved the humor :)

Please guys can someone recommend similar shoes or movies. Finding INTJ type comedy is very difficult.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I greatly enjoyed the spoof UK news programme The Day Today (mid-1990s) and it has aged well. Chris Morris and Armando Ianucci are fantastic writers in this genre.

Steve Coogan's Alan Partridge character is a classic.

Even then, I tend to view TV comedy as part of the counter-culture. You could say comedy is like a weapon. When you laugh at something, you're morally accepting it, and you are then culturally upgraded into a new paradigm. A lot of comedians really are sell-outs in the same way Hollywood actors are.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts