Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading how-to articles for the past few days looking for a strategy for building a network that I can adopt. I'm finding that there is an assumption that everyone has at least five friends that can bloom into a bigger network. I get that. Do these authors get some of us are starting really from ground zero? It's frustrating to say the least.

ugh^10000

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well in that case, I think you have to start looking for friends in

THE REAL LIFE

Either that, or visit forums like these that collect people who are more apt to online networking.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Networking and being loner naturally go together, why.... Ohh we're talking about people networking?
If only I understood people as well as I understood TCP/IP.

I have no idea how to make friends. Never know what the boundaries are, for example, when it's ok to just ring someone up. How to do small talk.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
As a fellow biracial person I am happy to extend my hand in friendship:crazy:

Or you could try finding groups of people who share similar interests and move from there. This will be easiest for our types as our encyclopedic knowledge of topics of interest can help others overlook our obvious social ineptitudes.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
try linkedin.com

Reactions: Biracial

·
Registered
842 Posts
Join something that people regularly take part in. As examples: fitness classes, martial arts classes, etc... You're forced to meet the same people every week and someone is bound to talk to you as long as you don't give off negative vibes (i.e. fear/extreme shyness or a general hatred towards humans). This is probably the ideal way if you're a bit shy or you don't think you're terribly good at initiating contact.

Larger institutions like college/university or large workplaces are more difficult especially when people have already established their own circles. In these situations, you'll have to initiate yourself...

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
linkedin only works when you already know a handful of useful people.

What do you need the network for, I mean, what sort of people are you looking for? Doctors, engineers, bankers, scientists?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
actually, all you need is a resume. I've gotten interviews from my posting there.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Can someone define networking in this context?

I can relate to the friend-making difficulties :frustrating:

·
Registered
894 Posts
Networking in this context means making contact and exchanging information with other people, groups or institutions. Usually, networking occurs with other people who have interests in similar areas. The goal of the networking relationship may be to further your personal employment opportunities or to cultivate new clients or the expansion of business relationships. This can be done via social networks such as Twitter and Facebook; however, not limited to.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you want to get to know more people, join a club or some group with a common interest. Especially if you can have fun.

Roleplaying games are one source of social networking. I've made many friends through this sort of thing.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Roleplaying games are one source of social networking. I've made many friends through this sort of thing.
Because nothing says fun like rolling a 1.

On topic, I always felt that 'networking' was a weasel word that corporate douches used to explain pointless meetings, extended lunches and Friday afternoon booze-ups. If you're looking for professional contacts, call them that. If you're looking friends, likewise. If you call it networking, it just sounds as if you're being a try-hard.

Note: I don't KNOW if you're a try-hard, and as I have no idea who you are IRL, don't really care either way. I'm referring to the connotations behind the term networking and not the act itself.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Something I found useful is to remember that most people call even casual acquaintances "friends" and that most people are happy to help other people. The hardest part is initiating contact. Just because WE don't like people to approach us, doesn't mean the rest of the population is as prickly.

The above suggestions of getting involved with others who share your hobbies and interests, getting OUTSIDE, and *gasp* practicing your small talk skills will help you in this task. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
If you want to make in the world, you have to be willing to give a little bit of your soul.. (supposedly.) What is it your really want?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm having this same issue - trying to make professional connections in the business world in order to get a job that involves really using my brain and being productive and going home at the end of the day feeling like I accomplished something. I stumbled upon a site called Career Advice, Personal Branding & Job Search Help from Top Career Experts : CAREEREALISM and I've signed up. They put you through a series of personal evaluations (kinda like personality typing) to help you determine what you would really enjoy doing or being a part of, then they coach you as you launch into HOW to make those REAL connections with people. It looks to be a good program so far!

Reactions: Expat in Japan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
I would say yes. Yes, absolutely.

Networking: Two categories - Real Friends and Contacts.

Over the years I've acquired a select group of what could be defined as "Real Friends". I've accomplished this feat by doing my best to be a friend to my friends inspite my obvious limitations. These are mainly people I A at at one point hit it of with, that B accept the fact that I can go off the radar for years sometimes.

I try to make up for my inability to do 'normal' friend functions (having coffee, watching a movie or a game together et cetera) by the 'grand gesture' every few years. When friendship is firmly established I also tell them the brutal truth that they are one of a group of only 5 or 10 people I would call "friends". People find that shit flattering.

Contacts are a different matter - and these are what you need in classic networking. You need to identify what kind of contacts you need and where they hang out. If you need moneypeople, then find out what moneypeople do - choose something that acctually interest you a bit and join a group. Create the situation and someone will take contact - this person is very often your access to a whole network so remember to be friendly and self-assured.

Another way is to find a bar you like and become a regular. The only thing alcholics have in common is that they are alcoholics - just find out where your desired contacts hang (academics, arts, money, crime, politics - they all have their share of alcoholics) and have a good time with them. Everybody likes the guy whos buying as long as he isn't a chump - and lacking social skills can be excused by seeming to drink more than you do.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts