Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's curious, how, I always felt i had a big disadvantage for not having a well developed Si (as a shadow function). Although, I think its' memory function is substituted by the Fi function, sometimes it's such an exhausting thing to respect and follow meaningless tradition, or typical action steps. In conversations, in the story telling part, it's like my memory is so fragmented, i always remembered parts of the story, but never the whole picture and it's very difficult to put it together. It's just me and a very weak Si function, or it's an very common INTJ thing?

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Libtard
22,781 Posts
Yes and no....I forget entire movies sometimes and I can get near to the end and realise....awwww this was a shit movie. I remember details better from my past through prompting....say if there is an occurrance that reminds me of something in my past I remember....if I don't remember straight away I remember later on that day....almost as if my brain is searching analogue style.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I, also, have strong past memories, but i thing it's more related to the Fi function. That moment had very strong impact on my feelings so it was easily remembered. And I know that through constant repetition i can remember almost anything. But, when it comes to reproduce a conversation, from the begging to the end, i have frequent pauses or i can't find the exact words, although i can remember the meaning of those words.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Yes and no....I forget entire movies sometimes and I can get near to the end and realise....awwww this was a shit movie. I remember details better from my past through prompting....say if there is an occurrance that reminds me of something in my past I remember....if I don't remember straight away I remember later on that day....almost as if my brain is searching analogue style.
I do that all the time. I can remember the exact date of a conversation 15 years ago just because it was, for example, 3 days before something important I remember happened; and from that I can rebuild in my head what happened.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My memory is pretty solid in recalling the contexts of situations, usually recalling them without hyperbole or glorification. To the Ni user, context is everything. When recalling details though, I can't compete with say, an SP or SJ. However, from my personal interactions with these types, they tend to degrade/shade/manipulate the context but can recall details (i.e. they'll remember the exact words that were said, but can't recall why).

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
It's curious, how, I always felt i had a big disadvantage for not having a well developed Si (as a shadow function). Although, I think its' memory function is substituted by the Fi function, sometimes it's such an exhausting thing to respect and follow meaningless tradition, or typical action steps. In conversations, in the story telling part, it's like my memory is so fragmented, i always remembered parts of the story, but never the whole picture and it's very difficult to put it together. It's just me and a very weak Si function, or it's an very common INTJ thing?
It is.

You remember the bigger picture and not so much of all the little details. You´re interested in the concept more than in all the little details.

When you do want to tell a coherent story, you need to practice it first so you have the whole thing in your head. It doesn't work for INTJ's to recall the whole thing in an instance. Our brains focus on other things.

Sometimes people tell a story and I get bored with having to listen to all the little details. I tend to say: "Ok, get to the point!" but they can't. The only way for them to get to the end of the story is by telling the whole thing from A to Z.

Either way has advantages and disadvantages. For socializing the INTJ way sucks because not everybody can follow and when people can't follow you they either think you´re smart or stupid. In a socializing setting, the latter is more often the conclusion.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
My memory and factual recall is brilliant. I can recognize slight changes in situations quite well. That said I struggle in storytelling and remembering/reciting details from things I experience...(details about movies/shows, class agendas, etc.) regardless how recent.

My best friend jokes with me that I often go "There was this hilarious thing that happened earlier..*long pause*..damn I can't remember what it was. It was funny though." Sometimes it comes back, other times no.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, as a small conclusion, our Se is brilliant at memorising unusual details, yet, when telling a story we know its overall meaning but we need some time to reach the storage of facts, and put it together.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I find I change memories, sometimes invent memories, in order to make them more coherent or fit the context better. My memories are more like stories I tell myself. They have themes and plots which evolve. They are very unreliable factually. I don't really understand Si, and Ti bores me. It's all about Ni and Fi for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts