Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Wikipedia:

A best practice is a method or technique that has consistently shown results superior to those achieved with other means, and that is used as a benchmark. In addition, a "best" practice can evolve to become better as improvements are discovered.
Best Practices Do What?

• Describes the issues
  • Describes how to best deal with it
  • Describes the reason
  • Tells how it works
  • Inform about tools needed
Background information:

I recently became very interested in best practices in many areas of my life, be it using a certain program, cooking techniques or exercising. I wanted to extend this to my personality as well. Basically create a list of "Do's and Don't do's", which can be used in certain situations. Since we are all a bit different, some of the items on the list may not exactly apply to everyone of course, but I believe there is merit to both discussing and creating such a list.

Essentially it is about avoiding the pitfalls that the INTJ can have, and doing things that will continuously maintain our primary functions to the best of our ability. It is about getting better coping skills (like improving the potential Se insanity food/sex/movie/whatever-binge), or avoiding the need for them entirely. It is a like "In situation X, do Y", but I don't want it to be an "emergency list" only, but also for good daily habits as well.

An example for this would be:

Category - Daily Life
Issue: Not being productive enough :crying:
Practice: Think it through first, write down thoughts and a small plan to create a direction.
Reason: I get focus from creating a direction, without it I burn out easily because my brain gets too creative.
How it works: Externalizing the thoughts, letting myself see the pattern while focused on my goal to create the direction.
Tools: Pen and paper, mind mapping

Category - Social Life
Issue: Stressed about going to a party :sad:
Practice: Have a plan. I'll be there for a maximum of x hours (maybe more, if enjoy myself), and if necessary tell the host (if the person is a close friend) about that. Have transport available unless I am driving myself (no-drinking!).
Reason and how it works: I already feel stressed about the situation, and I will feel even worse at the party and not be able to enjoy myself. With a plan I have already thought it through.
Tools: Planning tool of your choice

Category - Health
Issue: Bad eating habits :mellow:
Practice: Plan ahead, decide what to eat and when. Have backup snacks if necessary. Go to the grocery store when I'm not hungry
Reason: Low-blood sugar = me being retarded, I'll buy any kind of crap and repeat a bad cycle, feel bad and then eat crap again
Tools: Planning tool of your choice.

So, describe the issue, the practice, the reason for it and how it works, and tools if necessary. The list may be a bit long, so it will be categorized as needed. Any input is welcomed, both for the overall setup and best practices.

This is of course not set in stone, but I think it is a good beginning. You can of course PM me if that is more of your thing. :wink:

Let's get perfect!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I find the best way to fix a problem is to just stop doing it, or start doing it, depending on the problem.

I try not to put pen to paper, I prefer to rely on my own memory. If I have to write something down I usually do so in a foreign language so I'm at least getting some practice writing and reading. That and I don't like people knowing my business, so if anyone finds my notes they're unintelligible.

When it comes to parties I have to remember to drift away and find something to do if I'm in danger of standing quiet for too long in a conversation circle. I consider being hunched over a phone in public to be bad practice so it forces me to approach other people, find something to do, suggest something to do or go home and do something productive. I hate wasting time.

·
Banned
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! Great avatar! Best. Movie. Ever. :kitteh:

Instead of using the already-defined format, any experiences that people can share is also great. I can then compile the information and put together.

·
Banned
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem: Feeling stressed with no apparent reason
Solution: Clean up, tidy, anything that has to do with cleaning up and organizing (especially physical).
Added bonus: Become more minimalistic (working on that).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts