Personality Cafe banner
1101 - 1120 of 1749 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
"And that's the thing about people who mean everything they say. They think everyone else does too."

·
Registered
131 Posts
My INTJ best friend occasionally drops "meh...fuck 'em". Like, when he doesn't care about some consequences for others of his actions :). Love the guy.

Reactions: Eylrid

·
Registered
94 Posts
"I was cured, all right." ~ Alex; A Clockwork Orange

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Gustave Le Bon - The Crowd (link --> the Crowd)
"In the collective mind the intellectual aptitudes of the individuals, and in consequence their individuality,are weakened. The heterogeneous is swamped by the homogeneous, and the unconscious qualities obtain the upper hand.
This very fact that crowds possess in common ordinary qualities explains why they can never accomplish acts demanding a high degree of intelligence. (...) In crowds it is stupidity and not mother-wit that is accumulated"

"By the mere fact that an individual forms part of a crowd, his intellectual standard is immediately and considerably lowered."

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Not sure if Mr. Russell has been quoted before but here goes “The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed, in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a wide-spread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible” Bertrand Russell

·
Registered
599 Posts
<@saintk> The Dutch: New York, here's a plan for a 6 billion dollar water protection line so your city won't flood. New York: No thanks, too
expensive. Sandy: 10 billion damage a day in new york due to storm
and flooding

·
Registered
19 Posts
My favorite quotes:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." -Oscar Wilde

"It is with the reading of books, the same as with looking at pictures; one must, without doubt, without hesitation, with assurance, admire what is beautiful." -Vincent Van Gogh

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability of function." -F. Scott Fitzgerald

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance. No one in this world, so far as I know—and I have researched the records for years, and employed agents to help me—has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby." H.L Mencken

·
Registered
286 Posts
"Man needs entertainment simply to hide his madness. If he was perfectly sane, he would not need entertainment. He could just sit and watch this bamboo grow. He does not really need entertainment" - Sadhguru

Reactions: Eylrid

·
Registered
238 Posts
“...the papers, which thirty years ago conferred upon me the honor of American citizenship, are always kept in a safe, while my orders, diplomas, degrees, gold medals and other distinctions are packed away in old trunks.”
-Nikola Tesla

A quote from who I believe to be one of the greatest men ever.

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
This year, whole bunch of Ry Cooder stuff. He inspires and entertains me.

"'You look for what already seems to fit. You could hear a thing for the first time and realize that it seems to fit with what you already know. If it's too foreign it's foreign. You know, if a guy comes down the highway playing a
pygmy nose flute I'd say 'Wow, that's pretty wild, but I don't know what to do about that'. Cause I'm a practical person . . . it has to fit a pattern. A musical pattern that I hear in my head.''

"I have a thimbleful of ambition. I can't plan a trip to the grocery store, let alone a career"

". . . and that's all right for somebody else, but I got no business trying to do that"

"Y
ou should do what you do. Why be somebody else at this point in time? I'm pretty much older now, I ought to go with what I know or forget it . . . I think. Why be Lionel Richie? Let him be Lionel Richie.'

"
'I can't worry any more about is the radio going to play it - they're not going to play it anyway, so I just want to have fun.'

1101 - 1120 of 1749 Posts