Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here I am, studying something I like. My teacher and several other classmates are INFP's so I thought I'd come here. I think this is the perfect oppertunity to develop my Fi, no better place than with a Fi expert, the INFP. In the end, I want to work together with them. My goal is basically to learn how to be awesome with INFP's.

I already noticed that:
- They do not like arguments one single bit. Maybe they do but my direct confrontational side hurts their feelings.
- They don't understand my 'thick skin'. They always want to make sure I'm not offended in some way or another.
- I've asked some feedback and this is what some of them had to say:
"You don't listen to the other person, you're only trying to get somebody to convert to your reason."
"We can talk but there is always a wall"
"You're mysterious, I never know what you come up with."

What do I do when an INFP tells her 'dramatic' life story to me? I do not know how to feel empathetic towards other people. Maybe I should just tell her that I'm not good with that kind of stuff and give her a hug instead, should be fun :kitteh:

·
Registered
727 Posts
If a dramatic life story came up:
- show some concern or ask her/him how that drama cleared up and make sure they're no longer going through it.
You don't need to linger on it or a act as if you feel sorry for him/her.
But don't worry an INFP is unlikely to tell you a dramatic life story unless you're really close.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Are you perhaps interested in dating someone in the class or is this just for the purpose of getting along in the class in general?
Not sure if I kind of am or kind of amen't (I just made that word up :tongue:). But getting along is definitely the plan, we're also chilling outside of class together.

But don't worry an INFP is unlikely to tell you a dramatic life story unless you're really close.
I'm having fun outside of class, this stuff will happen. The issue isn't 'if' it will happen but 'when' it happens, wtf do I do?

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Just listen and ask questions to better understand/clarify the situation.

Offer no advice unless they expressly ask for it.

If they ask you what you think, tell them. INFPs often get confused by their feelings about a situation and
I've always found the logical INTJs take on a situation refreshingly clear and I've always most appreciated their candor.

Dont' be upset if they don't take your advice though. An INFP may ask serveral people's advice before they make a final decision
based on what they think is the best solution. They will just be happy that you cared enough to offer a good one, even if they
don't take it.

I've always quite liked INTJs, I think most INFPs do.
I wouldn't worry. Just be yourself. If you have a debate just don't hurl personal insults and all should be well.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Not sure if I kind of am or kind of amen't (I just made that word up :tongue:). But getting along is definitely the plan, we're also chilling outside of class together.

I'm having fun outside of class, this stuff will happen. The issue isn't 'if' it will happen but 'when' it happens, wtf do I do?
In that case a hug wouldn't be too inappropriate. Also how do you know that it will happen, do you know for sure that she has a dramatic tory to tell? How dramatic is the story?
Is it exam stress? Relationship? Death of a loved one?? Childhood trauma?
It all depends on the context.

There are a few things to look out for:
- Body language
- facial expression
- tone of voice
- are you alone or with a group. if you're with a group and you have no idea what to do or say, just see how others react and maybe do the same.

Here is a list of things to do:
- offer words of encouragement
- share a similar story of yours (if you feel comfortable enough) this will show that you can empathise and relate to her story. How did you overcome it?
- show that you're genuinely interested in what she's saying. Don't cut her off or be distracted.
- try to figure why she's sharing this with you. Is she still affected by and does she seem upset by it? Or is she simply just chatting and being friendly? Does she want advice or a advice or a shoulder to cry on?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts